Sign in to follow this  
Wrestler

New rules and weight categories

I like that they are proposing to spread a weight class over 2 days - day 1 prelims and repechage and day 2 finals and bronze. Also proposing that wrestling begin at 11:00 am (not 1:00p) with a break. Also that wrestlers will get a 30 minute rest in between matches as opposed to 15 like it us currently. They also recommended that the best guys get put on opposite sides of the bracket.

Think I just saw a pig fly over my house. Be right back.

Did fila read any of the suggestions from Ray Brinzer and the others? They came up with some great suggestions and put in the time to back it up with logistics and a plan. Maybe some sanity will be breathed back into the sport

Did fila read any of the suggestions from Ray Brinzer and the others? They came up with some great suggestions and put in the time to back it up with logistics and a plan. Maybe some sanity will be breathed back into the sport

I have been the first to rip FILA and they've deserved every bit of it. But for the first time, it appears they might be moving in the right direction. I'm not going to hold my breath, but hoping for the best...

Summary as I understand it for freestyle:

3pt moves will now be worth 4pts?

10pt TF

Olympic freestyle wts: 57, 65, 75, 86, 97 and 125 kg (add 61 and 70 kg in non-Olympic years and possibly 80 kg)

goes into effect for 2014 World Championships

2 days for each weight class

30 min rest minimum between matches

wrestling will begin at 11:00am and include a break

the new weights are a vast improvement over the numbers originally mentioned. sounds like FILA is actually putting some thought into these things. hooray for progress!

its still a terrible shame the olympic years are being cut to 6 weights, the gaps are just too big. but, those proposed 9 weight classes look great. hopefully FILA can increase female participation and actually have some leverage to start negotiating more weight classes with the IOC.

here's what freestyle weights look like form the article.

lbs/kgs/%increase

126/57

143/65/12%

165/75/13%

190/86/13%

214/97/11%

276/125/22%

126/57

134/61/7%

143/65/6%

154/70/7%

165/75/7%

176/80/6%

190/86/7%

214/97/11%

276/125/22%

i think this is about the best we can do given the limitations being imposed.

To be blunt, 7 weights is a crock of sh*t and 6 is a travesty. At least some improvement was made to bring in non Olympic weights. Only seven weights just isn't enough representation of the lower weight classes, and six is a complete misrepresentation of the sport. I hate having my leg pissed on and being told it's raining.

To be blunt, 7 weights is a crock of sh*t and 6 is a travesty. At least some improvement was made to bring in non Olympic weights. Only seven weights just isn't enough representation of the lower weight classes, and six is a complete misrepresentation of the sport. I hate having my leg pissed on and being told it's raining.

hah, yes thats pretty much my thots.

Burroughs will obviously wrestle 75. Personally I had no issue with 7 weights. Six is too few though. Mind you, I would have kllled for an 80 kg weight class when I was competing...

I like 7. I want to see the highest level of wrestling have fewer weights than the lower collegiate level. In HS there's 14, college there's 10 and 7 internationally. Seems good to me.

I believe the current 7 weight classes covers the weight spectrum just fine.