Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Is Dake at 165 for the season?

Rob's preseason update had Dake listed at 157; then again, Rob is kind of known for changing things up on the fly! I wouldn't be surprised either way, although Dake at 165 sure opens up a whole lot of questions.

(Also, for the recod - Dake did wrestle up at 165 once last season, vs Binghamton - so he already has wrestled at 4 different weights)

And I'll bet Rob is reading this thread now, and chuckling to himself! :P

Here is a link to a Kyle Dake interview where he discusses the topic of going 165. Sounds to me like if he fairs well against Tyler Caldwell and DT that he will stay at 165. If not, he has the option to reassess and drop back down. I would think if he wins the Southern Scuffle with both Taylor and Caldwell there that he will stay at 165. If not, he can go back down and wrestle 157 for #4.

http://1160espn.com/includes/news_items/11/481/cuwrest_iview.mp3

I'll be the first, or I guess second, to say I believe Caldwell has as good a shot at winning it all as Dake and Taylor do. I know everyone will have forgotten how good Caldwell is because he took off last season. Remember when everyone forgot how good Burroughs was? Obviously Caldwell is a little behind Burroughs at his Senior year peak, but not all that much. Just to be clear I'd still "pick" Caldwell third but the difference between third and first between these three is minute.

Wow. Kyle Dake is the man. I know lots of Iowa fans had problems with Dake after he beat DSJ last year, accusing him of "stalling", and he wasn't super active, but it's not like DSJ was doing a Metcalf impression in that match, either. He was less active than Dake for the majority of the match. Going up ANOTHER weight? Wow.

I'll be the first, or I guess second, to say I believe Caldwell has as good a shot at winning it all as Dake and Taylor do. I know everyone will have forgotten how good Caldwell is because he took off last season. Remember when everyone forgot how good Burroughs was? Obviously Caldwell is a little behind Burroughs at his Senior year peak, but not all that much. Just to be clear I'd still "pick" Caldwell third but the difference between third and first between these three is minute.

You would really say Caldwell is not all that much behind Burroughs senior year peak? I have to totally disagree with that. Granted im sure Caldwell is improved since the NCAA finals in Philly...but that gap Burroughs showed between him and Caldwell would take a lot of improvement to close to "not all that much" behind...

I think Caldwell is great. But Taylor or Dake he aint. I could be wrong ofcourse..that is why they are called opinions. Caldwell has just not really shown me anything in folkstyle to equate him to Dake and Taylor.

He watched it when it was in Philly, but I doubt he saw the Big12 final in the midwest and the one point match that Caldwell gave Burroughs.

You're doubt would be incorrect.

Yes I saw the matches...2 of 3 anyway. The latest one, NCAA finals, in person.

As for the 2-1 match, Caldwell did not have much to gain by going all out against Burroughs then. He benefited from being conservative and keeping it close.

NCAA Finals were a different story...being defensive and focusing only on stopping Burroughs offense wasn't going to be enough, to win he had to open up, and he had nothing left to lose (being it was the finals)...and when he did open up and try to go after it, he was picked apart.

The 2-1 result means nothing in my opinion. It especially does not indicate that they are as close as that score would suggest. If Caldwell wrestled Burroughs 10 times, I honestly believe Burroughs wins all 10.

Gonzo, we obviously have a different opinion. Like I said Caldwell just has not shown me anything in folkstyle (including keeping it close with Burroughs once, and beating an injured Howe by 1 pt in one of the most boring semi final matches ever) to make me believe he is on the Taylor/Dake level

He watched it when it was in Philly, but I doubt he saw the Big12 final in the midwest and the one point match that Caldwell gave Burroughs.

As for the 2-1 match, Caldwell did not have much to gain by going all out against Burroughs then. He benefited from being conservative and keeping it close.

NCAA Finals were a different story...being defensive and focusing only on stopping Burroughs offense wasn't going to be enough, to win he had to open up, and he had nothing left to lose (being it was the finals)...and when he did open up and try to go after it, he was picked apart.

The 2-1 result means nothing in my opinion. It especially does not indicate that they are as close as that score would suggest. If Caldwell wrestled Burroughs 10 times, I honestly believe Burroughs wins all 10.

Gonzo, we obviously have a different opinion. Like I said Caldwell just has not shown me anything in folkstyle (including keeping it close with Burroughs once, and beating an injured Howe by 1 pt in one of the most boring semi final matches ever) to make me believe he is on the Taylor/Dake level

thats funny since i think taylor hasnt done anything to show that he is anywhere near howes level and dake is only slightly better. caldwell beat howe and we can all talk about being injured or whatever excuse but the reality is that caldwell was one of the best that year and he looked mighty good in iowa city too.

thats funny since i think taylor hasnt done anything to show that he is anywhere near howes level and dake is only slightly better. caldwell beat howe and we can all talk about being injured or whatever excuse but the reality is that caldwell was one of the best that year and he looked mighty good in iowa city too.

Going 70-1 with 1 Title, a Hodge, and a runner up finish in his first two seasons isn't enough for you to put him in the ranks of Howe and Dake? But Caldwell, who has never won his conference tournament, and has 20 times (literally) more losses than Taylor, he qualifies in your opinion?? Wow. Talk about being blatantly biased.

I guess that is the difference here. I would be surprised if it happens. It is extremely hard to beat NCAA champion caliber guys with a lacking (or lazy) offense, so Caldwell would have to improve his offense dramatically since his last season in the NCAA to pick off Dake or Taylor.

I am not saying he can't, I am not saying he couldn't, I am not saying he wont, and I am not saying he hasn't improved (I am in fact sure he has)...what I am saying is that he simply can not be considered equal or as a toss-up going into this season with Dake and/or Taylor. He just can't. He is #3 if they are all in the same weight, and that is where he should be.

Aren't you the same guy who got but hurt when we started talking about redshirts and losses as a redshirt versus going to the big show as a true freshman?

Well Caldwell was 5th in the nation as a true frosh. How many losses does DT take as a true frosh if he gets thrown to the wolves?

We'll never know, but you can't just compare records and not factor that in to the equation of who can beat who and who can hang with who.

And BRguy is right: Caldwell looked better than Taylor at Iowa City. I only wish Caldwell didn't lose those ball draws against marable so we could've seen him take on Dake (*in the style that only matters if you're trying to be the best in the world.)

1. I don't know what discussion you are talking about...but to be brief..talking about what would have happened, or saying that someone loses some credibility because of a RS is just stupid. And would Caldwell and Taylor not be even now in that dept anyway...Taylor took his RS 3 years ago...Caldwell took his last season...now they are all evened up - so let this stupid argument go.

2. I love how people continually bring up Olympic trials when we are discussing the upcoming NCAA season. Yes, freestyle is all that matters when you talk about World level. We are not talking about the World level. If you want to say that Caldwell is favored over Taylor right now for the 2016 Olympic cycle, great I wont even argue. If you want to say he is favored over Taylor right now to win an NCAA title or in a head to head folkstyle match, you are wrong...and you certainly can not use freestyle results to support your argument.

Caldwell is an extremely defensive wrestler. He wins a lot of close matches, and his biggest win to date came against a less than 100% Howe in a match where he scored zero takedowns and won by virtue of 18 seconds of riding time.

He wrestled the quarters, semis, and finals without scoring a takedown. That's two of the three days of the tournament with no offensive points. He scored three takedowns the whole tournament while giving up six.

I need to see more from him before I put him on the level of Dake, a 3 time champ, and Taylor, the defending Hodge winner who just had one of the most dominant NCAA tournaments in recent memory.

Caldwell is an extremely defensive wrestler. He wins a lot of close matches, and his biggest win to date came against a less than 100% Howe in a match where he scored zero takedowns and won by virtue of 18 seconds of riding time.

He wrestled the quarters, semis, and finals without scoring a takedown. That's two of the three days of the tournament with no offensive points. He scored three takedowns the whole tournament while giving up six.

I need to see more from him before I put him on the level of Dake, a 3 time champ, and Taylor, the defending Hodge winner who just had one of the most dominant NCAA tournaments in recent memory.

+1

Except I am not even worried so much about who his biggest win is, beating Howe is big even if less that 100%. My point was simple...he has not shown enough in folkstyle to be considered equal to Dake and Taylor going into this season.

2. I love how people continually bring up Olympic trials when we are discussing the upcoming NCAA season.

Learn to embrace it dude. Because it matters. It matters because wrestling needs it. It needs to be known as an Olympic sport within an athletic department. This is a vital component for survival.