Sign in to follow this  
Old_Marine_Wrestler

Iowa - why not move Ramos to 141

and get Gilman and Clark both into the lineup @ 125 and 133?

141 is (apparently) a weaker spot for the Hawkeyes and Ramos showed that he can handle the weight by beating a ranked wrestler. Some say he beat Stieber last year with that cradle, perhaps he can do it officially?

Or would a Tony Ramos national championship at 133 be more important than a team national championship and him losing in the finals to Stieber?

I don't think moving him to 41 would help the cause for a team title. He's as close to a lock at 33 as we've got. Believe me I want Gilman and Clark both in. It kills me to think one will sit a year. Kills me!!! I still keep Tony at 33, but I have MAD respect for Logan Steiber. Ramos stays where he is.

There's no guarantee that Gilman or Clark could replace Tony's bonus points and strong shot at a NCAA title, while him bumping up costs bonus points because it's harder to horse bigger guys around and makes a title much less likely because obviously Logan Stieber is tougher to beat, in general, than anyone at 133 right now, especially with added size Logan has at 141. Besides, there's no reason to believe either Clark or Gilman is better at 133 than Dziewa will be at 141. Both guys are stronger competitors at 125 for now, I think.

I can see Ramos moving to 141 for some duals like Penn State where the margins are thin. Theoretically speaking if they feel Clark or Gilman can beat Gulibon and Ramos can beat Beitz with a bonus point where the Iowa starter at that weight may be in jeopardy of losing that weight I can see it happenning. Maybe Clark beats Megaludis, Gilman beats Gulibon, and Ramos scores bonus over Beitz it could be another long night for Penn State in Iowa City. A strong backup like Gilman or Clark will come in handy at open tournaments and days with multiple duals.

I can see Ramos moving to 141 for some duals like Penn State where the margins are thin. Theoretically speaking if they feel Clark or Gilman can beat Gulibon and Ramos can beat Beitz with a bonus point where the Iowa starter at that weight may be in jeopardy of losing that weight I can see it happenning. Maybe Clark beats Megaludis, Gilman beats Gulibon, and Ramos scores bonus over Beitz it could be another long night for Penn State in Iowa City. A strong backup like Gilman or Clark will come in handy at open tournaments and days with multiple duals.

Iowa isn't really known for bumping around in duals.

As for the list of guys presented by Frank_Rizzo, none of those guys have shown anything to indicate they have a shot at beating Ramos, especially Colon who people like for his exciting style but has one truly notable win in his career, over Devin Carter, and losses to guys like Futrell and Tyler Clark, both good wrestlers but not on Ramos' level. Colon wrestled John Meeks last year, who struggled mightily, especially on bottom, and won 5-4. Grey and Beckman are talented guys but haven't shown themselves to be on that level.

Beckman, Graff, Morrison, Grey, Colon. On any given day...

The problem with your list is they have to wrestle him for 7 minutes and maybe MORE. They are all talented wrestlers but I simply do NOT see them being able to keep up with him for the full 7 minutes.

The problem with your list is they have to wrestle him for 7 minutes and maybe MORE. They are all talented wrestlers but I simply do NOT see them being able to keep up with him for the full 7 minutes.

I wouldn't put money on any of them winning either. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if Ramos loses to one of them and don't consider him to be a lock to win 133 this season.

Taylor, Ruth, and Stieber? Yes, locks.

I wouldn't put money on any of them winning either. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if Ramos loses to one of them and don't consider him to be a lock to win 133 this season.

Taylor, Ruth, and Stieber? Yes, locks.

I agree that Ramos is far from a lock. I guess really just depends on whether Graff has improved on his conditioning. If he has, than that is pretty much a toss up match right there. Steiber was more of a lock at 133 last year than Ramos is this year.

Don't count the chickens too soon. Was it Zadick???, who was ranked #1 and a sure bet to win it all and ended up 7th or so his final year?

Correct me if I have the wrong guy, search engine doesn't want to work this afternoon.

Brutus-This isn't high school. You know how many guys lose in high school? Stephen Neal was 4th. Phil Davis was 4th too I think. Ben Askren lost after his senior year. High school means nothing. It's irrelevant, boring, poorly wrestled minor leagues at best.

Brutus-This isn't high school. You know how many guys lose in high school? Stephen Neal was 4th. Phil Davis was 4th too I think. Ben Askren lost after his senior year. High school means nothing. It's irrelevant, boring, poorly wrestled minor leagues at best.

Askren lost his senior year because he broke his ankle in the sectional finals.

Graff and Mango will be the two main guys I'm looking at, as an Iowa fan, to possibly beat Ramos. I think he has Graff's number, even though the scores will be close. Mango worries me a little bit more. He's a bit of a question mark since he's coming off of a RS season. If he can look like he did at midlands, and keep that high level intensity up all season, he could beat Ramos. With all that being said I still think Ramos is a heavy favorite to be on top of the podium in March.

Mango worries me a little bit more. He's a bit of a question mark since he's coming off of a RS season. If he can look like he did at midlands, and keep that high level intensity up all season, he could beat Ramos.

I would also add Colon to that list. His style could be a problem for Ramos; we'll see.

Aside from the fact that I DON'T worry about Ramos losing :) you say exactly what I say in regard to Mango.

I was SUPER impressed by him last year at Midlands, and, as you said, if he keeps up that intensity (and quickness), it will be all that Ramos can do to be able to handle him.

He's my call for the top of the podium at 133 (even though my hope is for Colon).

While Ramos is a heavy favorite, stranger things have happened. Zadick not only lost to the Freshman Jake Percival, but he lost badly 18-4. At the Division I Championships all it takes is one bad day, match, or period to derail a sure thing.