Sign in to follow this  
smittyfan

No talk of the big fight?

I need to get over here more often. I must admit, I'm a bit surprised there isn't a lot of hype/talk on the upcoming UFC Championship Fight. I loosely follow the UFC, Bellator, etc. I must admit, I'm enjoying Cain Valasquez reign. He was an inch away from making the NCAA finals, and some felt he was aggressive enough to deserve the win in OKC. Johny Hendricks and GSP should be good. I usually pull for GSP, but would love to see Hendricks get the big upset.

The eye test seems to favor GSP...the experience factor seems to favor GSP...everything tells me GSP should win this, but I'm throwing a hunnie down on Johny. Can't help myself. I'm trying something different this time. Instead of ordering it at home, I bought 3 tickets to watch it at the local I-Max Theatre with a couple of my yet to be determined buddies.

This is a hard one. GSP has certainly been the man for a while now, and should be the favorite, although Hendricks, at least from his record thus far, doesn't appear to have any real weaknesses in his game.

He's probably as good a wrestling-based fighter that you'll find, and has one-punch knockout power, which is GSP's Achilles heel. It's hard to gauge his submissions game or whether he'll respond well to kicks, although he's done well against guys who are good in those areas. I think he's got as good a chance as anyone out there right now.

I thought there was no doubt that Johny won. In retrospect, the error may lay in the scoring system. I thought Johny clearly won 2 rounds, and I thought he narrowly won another round and narrowly lost two other rounds. So all three of the close rounds went to GSP, and there you have it. It was the wrong call, but I think it was as much a flaw in "using boxing scoring for MMA" as it was a poor job of judging.

I am speculating, but I would say that over 90% of the GSP fans and 100% of the neutral fans thought Johny had won it, at the theater where I watched it. People were booing and yelling out "fix" in the theater. Then I watched the espn take on it, where they basically just said it was close, but GSP pulled it out in the 5th round, and I nearly shat myself. How could anyone miss judging that fight that much? The most lgical explanation I have read was here on the mat where one of the posters said it's the scoring system, and I've latched onto and really agree with that. The archaic square scoring system from boxing has been plugged into the round scoring hole of MMA, and this IMO allows for this type of injustice to happen.

I thought there was no doubt that Johny won. In retrospect, the error may lay in the scoring system. I thought Johny clearly won 2 rounds, and I thought he narrowly won another round and narrowly lost two other rounds. So all three of the close rounds went to GSP, and there you have it. It was the wrong call, but I think it was as much a flaw in "using boxing scoring for MMA" as it was a poor job of judging.

I am speculating, but I would say that over 90% of the GSP fans and 100% of the neutral fans thought Johny had won it, at the theater where I watched it. People were booing and yelling out "fix" in the theater. Then I watched the espn take on it, where they basically just said it was close, but GSP pulled it out in the 5th round, and I nearly shat myself. How could anyone miss judging that fight that much? The most lgical explanation I have read was here on the mat where one of the posters said it's the scoring system, and I've latched onto and really agree with that. The archaic square scoring system from boxing has been plugged into the round scoring hole of MMA, and this IMO allows for this type of injustice to happen.

We know that "damage" is not a scoring criteria. HOWEVER, if Johny's face would have looked like GSPs and GSP no visible marks, it is likely he would have won a 50-45 decision. THAT is the problem the 99.9% of the population has. No doubt in my mind, Johny won that fight, he took it to GSP, plain and simple...

That being said, as DANA has commented before, "don't put it in the hands of the judges." THIS is exactly why. The people who booed Johny during his post fight interview were absurd.

I watched this fight and Hendricks clearly won. He was exultant after the fight and GSP was walking around like he knew he lost. I could not believe the decision. GSP is a big champion and so maybe you have to literally kill him (ok, not literally) before they give the fight to the challenger.

mspart

I watched this fight and Hendricks clearly won. He was exultant after the fight and GSP was walking around like he knew he lost. I could not believe the decision. GSP is a big champion and so maybe you have to literally kill him (ok, not literally) before they give the fight to the challenger.

mspart

Can you even imagine Spider Silva with a bionic, steel plate in his shin... A couple of greats have been turned upside down the past few months. Wrestlers are doing so well, it's incredibly fun for those of us that follow the NCAA's to see these guys taking it to another level. Spider and GSP are guys that I always pull for, until they fought the wrestlers I had been watching for years and years. What a treat!