Sign in to follow this  
rodneydeeeee

Chance Marsteller

Perry-Yea they're pretty bad. I've been saying that for years. It's not the athletes or Cael. The wrestlers are awesome to watch. The fans are clueless and like I said I have first hand experience. Anyway, I'm going to wait to comment on Marstellar until he picks a school. The one thing I will say is I DO NOT think he is overrated. Steve Mocco's last year at Blair I said I think he's going to come right in and challenge for a title right away. I have that same feeling with Marstellar. I don't think it's possible to overrate him. Just my opinion though.

Recruiting is more than just a coach or a school.

Lets be honest, for the most part, programs like Penn State and Oklahoma State are interchangable.

An athlete can easily pick based on the coach, or their love for the school, the school's mascot, or location but the real selling point is often the teammates. This isn't just a question of training partners. All of these schools have great training partners and the ability to bring in elite guys through the club programs. Rather the simple and often overlooked aspect of who is on a team that a recruit hit it off with and became friends with can close the deal. Alternatively, if a recruit has a member of a team who rubs them the wrong way it can make them sour on the program as a whole.

I have seen a lot of issues where the coach and school have little impact on a recruit and it was the members of the team that were the deciding factors at the end of the day.

It sounds like Mr. Marsteller has built a good relationship with some members of the Oklahoma State program. What ever program he picks will become his family for the next four to six years. Remember, an athlete as focused as he is will not have a 'normal' college life and all of his friends and social interactions will come by way of the program so he should pick the one that is the best fit for him, personally.

Only he knows which program will be right for him.

I think some people have the wrong idea of what happened with Haines.

Haines committed to Penn State. Shortly thereafter Nevills commits to Penn State. What is Cael supposed to say to the #1 Hwt. in the country, "No, I don't want you"??? Of course he isn't going to say that. Cael accepts Nevills commitment and then calls Haines and explains to him what transpired and how this would impact the situation money wise and competition wise, and Haines then decides Penn State isn't the place for him.

In that situation both Haines and Penn State made the right decisions based on all of the information they had and at the time they had it. Nobody screwed anybody.

Chance wrestled at S32 with Kindig's dad in the corner. He is also somewhat friendly with Haines. I have no inside information at all, but I can easily see where a kid could get his mind a wandering in a situation like this one. Everyone wants him. He needs to and will make a tough decision about the next four to five years of his life. Best of luck to him.

I appreciate your perspective but if what you say happened is true then Cael waffled and this is dishonest. I am not saying he broke any rules or is a dirtbag but loyalty to commitments clearly isn't his strong suit.

If it turns out that marstellar decoms and ends up at Okie SU, then all the best to him.

With Penn State winning 3 in a row he has probably had people in his ear telling him how he should go to Penn State and contribute to them winning 4 more when he wrestles there, how he should stay "home", etc.

Maybe he visitied Stillwater, went to a party of 2, met some different people and had new ideas on what he thought his college experience could be - along with some great wrestling and coaching.

No one on this board knows the demands of being the #1 recruit in the country in this day and age. His decision - whatever it is - should only be scrutinized by him and his family. Whatever he chooses, Penn State and Oklahoma State will move on.

There is only room for one ginger in any wrestling room anyways. It must have been Nickal's presence he didn't like. I agree with that hypothesis.

is this a mike mcqueary thing?

also, Old Marine Wrestler - excellent post. thats my feeling on it as well . dude is 17 or whatever. wish him well or find something else to do.

There is only room for one ginger in any wrestling room anyways. It must have been Nickal's presence he didn't like. I agree with that hypothesis.

is this a mike mcqueary thing?

also, Old Marine Wrestler - excellent post. thats my feeling on it as well . dude is 17 or whatever. wish him well or find something else to do.

Terrible that I actually laughed.

I think some people have the wrong idea of what happened with Haines.

Haines committed to Penn State. Shortly thereafter Nevills commits to Penn State. What is Cael supposed to say to the #1 Hwt. in the country, "No, I don't want you"??? Of course he isn't going to say that. Cael accepts Nevills commitment and then calls Haines and explains to him what transpired and how this would impact the situation money wise and competition wise, and Haines then decides Penn State isn't the place for him.

In that situation both Haines and Penn State made the right decisions based on all of the information they had and at the time they had it. Nobody screwed anybody.

Chance wrestled at S32 with Kindig's dad in the corner. He is also somewhat friendly with Haines. I have no inside information at all, but I can easily see where a kid could get his mind a wandering in a situation like this one. Everyone wants him. He needs to and will make a tough decision about the next four to five years of his life. Best of luck to him.

What?! Perhaps I'm being naive, but isn't that the whole point of a verbal commit?? It's a show of faith on behalf of BOTH parties.

For the wrestler - "I will sign a national LOI and fully commit to your program";

For the program - "you have a place on our team and we will not recruit over you"

I like Cael and think he's a phenomenal coach, but to secure a kid's verbal commitment and then recruit over him, if that was actually the action and intent, is sketchy behavior and no worse than athletes who give their verbal but still shop around thereafter. It doesn't matter if the next kid is better, you honor your commitment to your recruits. This isn't like basketball (where this type of behavior has become commonplace), in which players get recruited-over but can still get plenty of minutes off the bench, in another position or as a role player at game time.

In the end, I'm hoping that all this is the result of neither CM or the coaching staff - maybe it's coming from the PSU AD? They just got hit with $60M in legal fines just from the Sandusky thing. That's a pretty big number, and one that could effect big cutbacks across the department.

What?! Perhaps I'm being naive, but isn't that the whole point of a verbal commit?? It's a show of faith on behalf of BOTH parties.

For the wrestler - "I will sign a national LOI and fully commit to your program";

For the program - "you have a place on our team and we will not recruit over you"

I like Cael and think he's a phenomenal coach, but to secure a kid's verbal commitment and then recruit over him, if that was actually the action and intent, is sketchy behavior and no worse than athletes who give their verbal but still shop around thereafter. It doesn't matter if the next kid is better, you honor your commitment to your recruits. This isn't like basketball (where this type of behavior has become commonplace), in which players get recruited-over but can still get plenty of minutes off the bench, in another position or as a role player at game time.

We should give more leniency to the athlete in these circumstances. The commitment is much more important to the wrestler. This is the next 4-5 years of their life and their one shot at NCAA competition (transfers are not fun). Life at 18 is confusing and you haven't made many important life-changing single decisions up until that point. Sources say that Chance is emotional about being "recruited-over" to use your words among other things. If Chance changes to OkSU, I hope that PSU fans won't hold that against him.

Having said that, I don't see a problem with PSU bringing in Bo Nickal in Chance's recruiting class. Cael has personally stated many times that they are always bringing in the best talent, everyone will be tested, and only the best will wrestle. The question is whether that message was communicated to Chance during recruitment. My guess is that it wasn't, or at least not to the point where Chance thought they might bring in another blue-chip at his weight. The ironic part of this is that OkSU is also bringing in blue-chips at his weight. Obviously it's not the competition, but the implicit message of disrespect/duplicity that he felt PSU was sending when Bo committed.

I have no idea what the coaches side of this is for either Haines or Marsteller. One can impute whatever motives you want on their behalf but the verbal is just what it seems to be. A statement by the athlete.

Coaches are not allowed to be present. I have seen kids commit well before the school has made any promises to them. So please don't overstate what a verbal is. If you have some knowledge that the coaches have promised something (and usually it is the case, btw) then say so but sometimes the very early verbals are just kids jumping the gun.

If it turns out that marstellar decoms and ends up at Okie SU, then all the best to him.

With Penn State winning 3 in a row he has probably had people in his ear telling him how he should go to Penn State and contribute to them winning 4 more when he wrestles there, how he should stay "home", etc.

Maybe he visitied Stillwater, went to a party of 2, met some different people and had new ideas on what he thought his college experience could be - along with some great wrestling and coaching.

No one on this board knows the demands of being the #1 recruit in the country in this day and age. His decision - whatever it is - should only be scrutinized by him and his family. Whatever he chooses, Penn State and Oklahoma State will move on.

Nice post, Marine!

If there was ever any doubt as to just how low the PA/PSU fan base is, read this thread. This kid went from the best HS wrestler ever, to a short, fat bum who has bullied HS kids due to being more mature, due to wavering on his decision to go to PSU. Wow.

Chance is obviously a great wrestler but I see his career looking very similar to the Altons regardless if he is at PSU or anywhere else.

This is where I'd like to suggest to you that Marstellar is overrated. He's short for his weight. Unlike DT, for example, he matured physically earlier than other kids, an advantage he enjoyed in HS that he won't have in college. And he has a history of pretty serious elbow injuries.

Let him become someone else's mistake.

Did you make comments like these BEFORE Marstellar reconsidered? If not, it's sour grapes.

I have seen kids commit well before the school has made any promises to them. So please don't overstate what a verbal is. If you have some knowledge that the coaches have promised something (and usually it is the case, btw) then say so but sometimes the very early verbals are just kids jumping the gun.

Wow - that's crazy. Can you share any known/public examples of this? I know these are just 18 year old kids, but to publicly commit without an athletic scholarship offer in hand sounds a really embarrassing and even a risky move that would get an offer in the works rescinded from a program! It takes some real guts to do something like that.

NJWC-You've been on this board the last several years. None of this should come as a surprise to you. Funny thing is he could still choose PSU. Let us not forget he's over rated, under sized, over hyped, just bullies inferior competition around, etc., etc., etc. if he still chooses Penn St. But it sure isn't hard to see why he'd want to go to Oklahoma St. My goodness.

I'm a PSU fan living in District 3. I haven't missed districts or states in several years. Chance Marsteller is in the argument (with Kolat) as the best PA wrestler I've ever watched. In my opinion, anyone calling him over-rated hasn't seen enough of him. I predict great things from him immediately. I truly think the sky is the limit for Chance, wherever he ends up going.

Obviously, as a PSU fan, I will be disappointed if he heads elsewhere, but, I will still be rooting for Chance. From all my experiences watching him and all first hand-accounts I've had from those who know him, he is a great kid on and off the mat. He needs to do what is best for him and his future and I wish him the best of luck.

I'm not sure that all the detractors are PSU fans...anyhow, it is despicable what people think is appropriate to say about a kid in high school. Not to mention they don't even know what the hell they are talking about.

If there were anonymous people on a message board tearing me down at that stage of my life...

I have no idea what the coaches side of this is for either Haines or Marsteller. One can impute whatever motives you want on their behalf but the verbal is just what it seems to be. A statement by the athlete.

Coaches are not allowed to be present. I have seen kids commit well before the school has made any promises to them. So please don't overstate what a verbal is. If you have some knowledge that the coaches have promised something (and usually it is the case, btw) then say so but sometimes the very early verbals are just kids jumping the gun.

This....

Plus, if he has been exposed to the OK State team(mates) that may be a huge influence. Hanging with new friends, and teammates will be very important. Plus he is a young boy still. They do tend to change their minds now and then.

NJWC-You've been on this board the last several years. None of this should come as a surprise to you. Funny thing is he could still choose PSU. Let us not forget he's over rated, under sized, over hyped, just bullies inferior competition around, etc., etc., etc. if he still chooses Penn St. But it sure isn't hard to see why he'd want to go to Oklahoma St. My goodness.

Keep talking smack Gonzo!! :-) Enjoy 3rd place and lower for the next several years. And enjoy watching more of the same; kids pushing other kids during celebrations, poor attitudes by throwing metals away, etc. You seem to spend more time bashing the PSU base than chiming with 'worthwhile' posts. Keep it up...

Metals? I have enjoyed the last three years tremendously. I'm not the one tearing down a STUD because he simply had a different thought as kids are apt to do from time to time. It's not hard to talk smack when you feed me the material at this rate.