Sign in to follow this  
rodneydeeeee

Chance Marsteller

Lots of things happen in the recruiting game. I tend to think that pinnum makes a great point. When you are recruited to a school, the kids you meet from the team play a large part in the decision. Smith vs Cael...you can argue who's better but they are both legends. The kid has beat everyone he has wrestled including an olympian! How does anyone knock this kid. Will he be a national champ or multiple AA? Who knows? But, I will say his odds based on his success will set him up to do very well.

NJWC...Nice to see you back abusing the Pa posters. You finally get over your depression from the damage Pa did to NJ at Super 32? :lol:

Maybe the kid changed his mind. Maybe he likes how John Smith runs his program. Maybe he's tired of PA, wants to go somewhere different. Maybe he thinks Okie State is simply the best place for him to achieve his collegiate and international goals. Maybe he got more money there and felt slighted by Cael (wouldn't surprise me at all). I know Cael just came out to see him and maybe something happened there. It's all speculation until signing day and he let's us know why.

The real loser in all of this are the children. Everybody's searching for a hero. People need someone to look up to. I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs. A lonely place to be. And so I learned to depend on me

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows. If I fail, if I succeed at least I live as I believe

No matter what they take from me. They can't take away my dignity.

The real loser in all of this are the children. Everybody's searching for a hero. People need someone to look up to. I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs. A lonely place to be. And so I learned to depend on me

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows. If I fail, if I succeed at least I live as I believe

Well played.

Well played.

Chances are that Mr. Taylor will be looking for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team as well as Mr. Dake @ Cornell...If I were a betting man, which I'm not, you might see Chance in 2017 for Okie State...So as the Doctor says "Pump Your Brakes" and "Slow Your Roll"...Either way it is his decision and family and friends will follow!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

This is a quick turnaround time even for a teenager. Going from "of course i'm going to Penn state, its in PA, its Penn state! Why not Penn State??" a couple weeks ago to 100% committing and recommitting to Okie State today. Odd.

But I don't think it will matter what school Chance goes to... he is that good. Although I'm not sure why he wants to stay at such a high weight class... he is short enough that he should be able to go 157 and use leverage more effectively.

I have no idea what happened to cause Chance to de commit from Penn State, but it has no bearing on how good a wrestler he is. The kid is still a BEAST on the mat. That is coming from a Penn State grad.

Chance wrestled thru both Fila Cadets and Fargo one year without surrendering an offensive point against. I can really only think of one time during his regular h.s. career where he has been taken down, and even that take down wasn't so much a take down as him missing a on a double blast and the other wrestler, Brian Brill, circling around on him. Brill got 2 points, but his ride lasted all of about 3 seconds before Chance turned on him for for a reversal.

Chance may be going elsewhere now, but he is still a BEAST.

Cael bolted from Iowa State to PSU because PA was a talent-rich state where he could win national championships. Granted, he won national championships. I find it interesting that Cael has managed to chase off two likely 4x PIAA AAA state champs.

Prior to Chance and Haines, only two 4x PIAA state champs have chosen to leave the Keystone State for college (Jim Conklin & Ty Moore). Of the eight who initially enrolled at a PA school, six went to PSU, one to Pitt, one to Clarion. Here's a summary of the 4x PIAA champs:

Jim Conklin: enrolled at Indiana following WWII; competed last 2yrs eligibility while at Pitt Medical School. Conklin only competed in NCAA once due to his studies. He lost one match in each of the four collegiate seasons he competed. http://www.wash-greenesportshall.org/2000/Conklin.htm

Jerry Maurey: PSU (2x AA)

Michael Johnson: Pitt

Matt Gerhard: started at PSU, transfer to Pitt

John Hughes: PSU (NCAA champ, 3x AA)

Ty Moore: North Carolina

Cary Kolat: started at PSU, transfer to Lock Haven (2x NCAA champ @ LHUP, 4x AA)

Bob Crawford: Clarion

Jeremy Hunter: PSU (NCAA champ, 3x AA)

Jimmy Gulibon: PSU

----------------------------

Chance Marstellar: early commit to PSU, going to Oklahoma State

Thomas Haines: early commit to PSU, going to Ohio State

Cael bolted from Iowa State to PSU because PA was a talent-rich state where he could win national championships. Granted, he won national championships. I find it interesting that Cael has managed to chase off two likely 4x PIAA AAA state champs.

Prior to Chance and Haines, only two 4x PIAA state champ has chosen to leave the Keystone State for college (Jim Conklin & Ty Moore). Of the eight who initially enrolled at a PA school, six went to PSU, one to Pitt, one to Clarion. Here's a summary of the 4x PIAA champs:

Jim Conklin: enrolled at Indiana following WWII; competed last 2yrs eligibility while at Pitt Medical School. Conklin only competed in NCAA once due to his studies. He lost one match in each of the four collegiate seasons he competed. http://www.wash-greenesportshall.org/2000/Conklin.htm

Cary Kolat: started at PSU, transfer to Lock Haven (2x NCAA champ @ LHUP, 4x AA)

Prior to Chance and Haines, only two 4x PIAA state champ has chosen to leave the Keystone State for college (Jim Conklin & Ty Moore). Of the eight who initially enrolled at a PA school, six went to PSU, one to Pitt, one to Clarion. Here's a summary of the 4x PIAA champs:

I was worried that you woke up from sleeping on the enter key.

I kept getting a syntax error, so I kept re-editing my text and reposted. Didn't realize that, in spite of the sytax error, the posts were actually getting through.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_posting.php on line 1332: include_once([ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_posting.php on line 1332: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/functions_messenger.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php')

Since this thread seems to be full of speculation and innuendo anyway I figure I'll chime in and say that it's entirely possible that Chance has high aspiration to make a run at 2016 and would rather work to make the team without Taylor as his main workout partner on the NLWC. For a while Chance's primary goal was to compete internationally over any collegiate goals he may have had and frankly there is no better international wrestler than John Smith unless you bring JB into the conversation.

So that would be one Taylor connection. Another Taylor connection is that I read recently that DT teched Chance in the room, and we already know that DT gave a big shout out to Bo in a Tweet a few months back when Bo came for a visit. With the 9.9 limit it's possible Taylor may have had an impact on selecting only one upper middle weight choice particularly if the team decided to allocate some of their schollies toward 125 since 133/141/149 will be filled nicely with Gulibon, Nolf, and Retherford. Heck, it may be that it's become clear that Megaludis has decided not to RS and they are looking at 125 as a higher priority.

Blame it on the emergence of California and Texas putting out some excellent talent.

No doubt Oklahoma State has the inside track right now with Aaron Pico.

I was worried that you woke up from sleeping on the enter key.

I kept getting a syntax error, so I kept re-editing my text and reposted. Didn't realize that, in spite of the sytax error, the posts were actually getting through.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_posting.php on line 1332: include_once([ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_posting.php on line 1332: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/functions_messenger.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php')

Happened to me too. I noticed that when I got back to the pre-posting box (that sounds weird) that my post was there above the box.