Sign in to follow this  
rodneydeeeee

Chance Marsteller

One would hope that Chance would be more inclined to stay had Taylor teched him in a workout. Taylor had similar experiences when he arrived on campus and his thrashing took place in front of a rather nice crowd at the wrestle offs to Cyler Sanderson. That is the stuff that motivates kids like Taylor and Chance,

One would hope that Chance would be more inclined to stay had Taylor teched him in a workout. Taylor had similar experiences when he arrived on campus and his thrashing took place in front of a rather nice crowd at the wrestle offs to Cyler Sanderson. That is the stuff that motivates kids like Taylor and Chance,
Yes, I've seen the Cyler vs Taylor wrestle-off many times and agree that a young blue chip can learn more from a veteran who can show you things, but my point about that had more to do with NLWC training partners (Taylor and Chance would be competing for the same Olympic spot for 2016), and the international benefits of John Smith can't be undersold.

The Dapper Dan match up with Bo just became real interesting.

I will pretty much guarantee you that Chance will not wrestle in the Dapper Dan.

And why is that?

Well, since Bo is in college, he won't be at the DD.

No idea as to Chance's plans for the event though I think a matchup between he and Nickal would be intriguing. Bring in Cael and Smith to coach their respective recruits. Give the match a flashy nickname.

The Dapper Dan match up with Bo just became real interesting.

I will pretty much guarantee you that Chance will not wrestle in the Dapper Dan.

And why is that?

Well, since Bo is in college, he won't be at the DD.

No idea as to Chance's plans for the event though I think a matchup between he and Nickal would be intriguing. Bring in Cael and Smith to coach their respective recruits. Give the match a flashy nickname.

Yes, I've seen the Cyler vs Taylor wrestle-off many times and agree that a young blue chip can learn more from a veteran who can show you things, but my point about that had more to do with NLWC training partners (Taylor and Chance would be competing for the same Olympic spot for 2016), and the international benefits of John Smith can't be undersold.

Chance is one of the top p4p high school wrestlers in the country, but he has no shot at the 2016 Olympic team. None. He will not get close to beating Howe, Taylor, or Dake. Whoever is telling him he has a shot at the 2016 Olympic team is giving him bad advice. And 2020 is too speculative to even think about right now.

I would think John Smith would be an asset to any wrestler's quest for Olympic glory......but Cael is not to be dismissed as "substandard" by anyone! You say Chance and Taylor would be competing for the same Olympic spot......isn't Caldwell there also??? I would think the more Chance wrestled Taylor the more he would figure him out not to mention grow as a wrestler as well. Don't forget how much Bubba gained by being in the room with Taylor David's Freshman season.

I would feel coaching wise.... John Smith vs Cael Sanderson is a wash. The competition in the room in my opinion favors PSU. How much does he get from the offensive machines called Caldwell and Chris Perry??

NO....... I'm still of the opinion that the rift that led Chance to Okie State is Chances desire to chase his Olympic dream earlier than Cael thought was in either Chances or PSU's best interest. That would seem to fit in with the comment that his high school coach said about advising him to take a couple of weeks and think this out and not make a choice he may regret down the line!!

I hope I am wrong...... If he chose OSU simply to attempt a run at the Olympics in 2016 and is squashed by veterans like Taylor, Dake, Howe and Burroughs. He misses out on the positives PSU has to offer (close to home, family and friends, his dream of wrestling to a sold out Rec Hall, whiteouts and all and everything else that led him to commit to Penn State). That would be a shame.

All this said......I wish him well

Lu, thanks for the list. Why do I seem to remember Matt Gerhard going to Syracuse? You sure about psu and pitt?

Here's his profile for his time at PSU: http://www.wrestlingstats.com/pennstate ... estler=594

With Jim Martin, Tim Flynn, and Ken Chertow holding down 118 and 126, he wasn't going to consistently find his way into that lineup.

Gerhard was a 2x EWL 4th place finisher at 126lbs ('87 and '88)

Here are a couple box scores from Boomer's dB:

Lehigh-Pitt (1987-01-10): http://www.wrestlingstats.com/lehigh/sh ... p?meet=781

Lehigh-Pitt (1988-01-18): http://www.wrestlingstats.com/lehigh/sh ... p?meet=798

Surprising that I didn't see Gerhard in the lineup for any of Pitt's duals v. PSU in the PSU section of the dB.

Bo Nickal, NOT Jordan. They are number 1 and 2 at 170 and HS seniors. They went from soon to be teammates to now competitors. And I see no reason why Chance would not wrestle at Dapper Dan. It is a natural for these two to wrestle each other in their last HS wrestling match. I can only imagine how each one would love to win it. Even though I am a PSU fan, I got Chance by at least a major. Heck they should make it the last match of Dapper Dan too. Why not build some excitement?

Blame it on the emergence of California and Texas putting out some excellent talent.

No doubt Oklahoma State has the inside track right now with Aaron Pico.

Is this true? For some reason, I thought Aaron Pico was planning on going the Henry Cejudo route to Olympic FS, then moving on to MMA or boxing. I would love to see Pico compete at the collegiate level first!

Chance visited Oklahoma State like what he saw felt at home and wants to get away from Pa, go out on his own so to speak..Plan and simple! To Chance he fits in better at Oklahoma State..No hidden secret as to why? :D

If it turns out that marstellar decoms and ends up at Okie SU, then all the best to him.

With Penn State winning 3 in a row he has probably had people in his ear telling him how he should go to Penn State and contribute to them winning 4 more when he wrestles there, how he should stay "home", etc.

Maybe he visitied Stillwater, went to a party of 2, met some different people and had new ideas on what he thought his college experience could be - along with some great wrestling and coaching.

No one on this board knows the demands of being the #1 recruit in the country in this day and age. His decision - whatever it is - should only be scrutinized by him and his family. Whatever he chooses, Penn State and Oklahoma State will move on.

There is more to a school than the wrestling program. OSU has a great program and tradition, but the school is mediocre or worse, unless you are planning on a career in animal husbandry. If he was to pick a school in Oklahoma he'd be better off academically picking OU. Also, Stillwater is a pretty decent college town, although the university pretty much sucks.

If it turns out that marstellar decoms and ends up at Okie SU, then all the best to him.

With Penn State winning 3 in a row he has probably had people in his ear telling him how he should go to Penn State and contribute to them winning 4 more when he wrestles there, how he should stay "home", etc.

Maybe he visitied Stillwater, went to a party of 2, met some different people and had new ideas on what he thought his college experience could be - along with some great wrestling and coaching.

No one on this board knows the demands of being the #1 recruit in the country in this day and age. His decision - whatever it is - should only be scrutinized by him and his family. Whatever he chooses, Penn State and Oklahoma State will move on.

There is more to a school than the wrestling program. OSU has a great program and tradition, but the school is mediocre or worse, unless you are planning on a career in animal husbandry. If he was to pick a school in Oklahoma he'd be better off academically picking OU. Also, Stillwater is a pretty decent college town, although the university pretty much sucks.

Boone Pickens would disagree.

When I was studying for the New York State Bar exam, the instructor told us that although New York has one of the tougher bar exams in the nation, if we failed we could always take an easier state's bar exam.

But, he said, there's a limit to how easy any state's bar exam is.

Take Arkansas, he said, "You'll get pretty tough questions like, 'If you divorce your wife, is she still your sister?'" :D

clearly, Cael told Chance the Quaker Dynasty beard would have to go, whereas Coach Smith told him it would fit right in during his future training sessions with Hendricks in the OSU room

65a704c6-c0e6-e211-a98a-002655e6c126_original.jpg