Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Johny Hendricks tidbits

As many of you know, Johny Hendricks will be fighting for the UFC welterweight title on November 16. Here are some tidbits I found in articles today.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1831 ... to-ufc-167

“Johny Hendricks is going to make history even before he fights GSP. Some fighters in the past has had deals with Reebok, the great apparel company, but no one has rocked their gear inside the Octagon, that is until November 16. That’s when Johny Hendricks will be sponsored by Reebok. He’ll become the first UFC fighter to rock Reebok gear inside the Octagon.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/johny-hend ... --mma.html

Day 1 of his MMA training began with Phil "New York Badass" Baroni issuing a "let's go" challenge and the two squaring off with 16-ounce gloves. Roughly four minutes in, Hendricks' mouthguard went flying and he fell stiff as a statue. Out cold.

Welcome to MMA, Johny!

That was back in June 2007. Minutes after awakening, the two-time NCAA wrestling champ announced he was quitting the sport, less than 10 minutes into his career. Bystanders recall him saying something to the effect of, "Man, I'm way too smart for this … Gonna' coach college wrestling."

Curreri: Many consider GSP, who never wrestled in high school or college, to be the best wrestler in MMA. Any chance he outwrestles you?

Hendricks: "I really don't think so. I have the wrestling background and the wrestling power that a lot of people don't know about. I sort of showed some of it in my last fight with (Carlos) Condit. I've emphasized wrestling more this camp and spent some time at (my alma mater, Oklahoma State University) training. Coach (John) Smith has studied how GSP attacks... and some of my friends who coach at OSU help me out whenever they can and give me tips."

IMHO, GSP is the best athlete in MMA. I would not discount his wrestling ability. I used to think Koschek was the best athlete and is obviously a great wrestler. GSP had no trouble taking Koschek down a few times in their fight, I don't think Kos got one TD. I was very disappointed.

I would love to see Hendricks win by knock out.

Uh oh, now John Smith is involved. Jaja.

Baroni is known for trying to decapitate people in practice.

Thanks for this btw.

Although GSP will likely go for takedowns towards the end of rounds, his game plan will likely be jabs from a mile away. It's good to see that JH isn't discounting GSP's wrestling like so many before him (Hughes, Koscheck)

IMHO, GSP is the best athlete in MMA. I would not discount his wrestling ability. I used to think Koschek was the best athlete and is obviously a great wrestler. GSP had no trouble taking Koschek down a few times in their fight, I don't think Kos got one TD. I was very disappointed.

I would love to see Hendricks win by knock out.

Koscheck did better the second fight, he said he just trained standup for their 1st fight.

Hendricks has already made that mistake in his fight against Story, doesn't sound like he will make it again

Dana White ‏@danawhite 4h

I just watched the rough cut of Primetime that airs Monday and the segment of Johnny Hendricks going back to OSU to wrestle is ****n awesome

Dana White ‏@danawhite 1h

@JohnyHendricks Johnny the storyline and the interaction with u and OSU coach is ****ing awesome! I had goosebumps. That dude is a BAD ASS!

Does anyone know when Johnny knew or realized that he had that knock out power ? Was he a street fighter kind of kid in high school or college that gave him an indication or did that come as he trained for MMA and specific boxing training?

Hendricks looks puffy, GSP looks well regulated and not ballooned up by any means..Hendricks has my full support in this fight but I can't help but think GSP has no distraction with weight loss and more time to prep, hope I'm wrong!

Hendricks looks puffy, GSP looks well regulated and not ballooned up by any means..Hendricks has my full support in this fight but I can't help but think GSP has no distraction with weight loss and more time to prep, hope I'm wrong!
\

\

Not surprising, GSP is known for staying in shape consistently, while JH balloons up in weight between fights. I do think GSP has to cut though. It was pretty cool to see him wrestle, Perry seemed to be getting the better of him but that is to be expected. Should be a great fight, I can't wait. do any of the videos show GSP wrestling?:

very corrupt officiating

The officiating was fine, the judging was corrupt/disgraceful/criminal.....

I actually think in most cases the judging is fine, its the scoring system and criteria used to determine point that is causing these controversial decisions. Clean up the criteria for each area of judging to more accurately show who is winning each category per round, train judges in what to look for in order to understand MMA judging, and expand out the logic of scoring beyond everything always being a 10-9 round. Traditional 10-9 for every round may work in boxing over 12 to 15 rounds, but don't accurately show how much of an advantage a fighter had per round. We should see far more 10-8s, 10-7s, and even the occasional 10-6 if the scoring was to reflect how dominate a fighter was over his opponent per round and to the degree his opponent was able to at least defend themselves and mount some counter offense. Its a disgrace that an almost even round get scored 10-9 and a dominate round also almost always is 10-9 too. It provides you with no motivation to actually work extra hard in a long fight because you are expending a ton more energy just to end up with the same score as if you would pummel and grapple the whole period then release a quick flurry in the closing seconds. But to more accurately determine how much of a difference their was between the fighters in that round the better criteria I mentioned above must also be established. If these changes actually were made I guarantee their will be far less judging complains. In most cases its more a product of the system they are under rather than the judge being the issue.

They really need to allow 10-10 rounds for really close ones. IF no one wins the round, no ones wins. Have a tiebreaker round if the fight is tied at the end.

Even easier scoring system- beat your opponent badly, get 2 pts for the round. Beat your opponent technically without really damaging him (or winning a close round where both get hury) and get 1pt. Have an essentially even round, get no points.

They also need to figure out what a submission attempt is worth... generally UFC judges seem to know what a solid strike or a TD is worth, but some will ignore sub attempts completely while others score them highly. i would argue GSP "won" the first round on his choke attempt.

All that said... even under the current criteria, the judges just made a mistake IMO. I've heard it suggested the heavy elbows to the head JH landed in the first were hard to see from their angle. Also, Hendricks made a mistake by coasting somewhat in the 3rd and 5th. Looked like he was conserving his energy, which is good, but allowed a gritty GSP to claw his way back into the fight and ultimately steal it 3 rds to 2,

One of the problems is Tony Weeks. He use to be a ref for smaller shows but he sucked so bad they made him quit. Now he is a judge. He was one of the judges that gave the fight to GSP. This guy is a moron. He always gets the score wrong and has no business judging a UFC fight, much less a main event. This guy is a known tool in the MMA world.

MMA is a speck in time compared to how long boxing has been around as a sport. With that said, I have some seemingly shocking news for some of you folks who think that there's a hard and fast science to scoring fights: there aren't any.

In over 40 years of being either directly or indirectly involved with boxing, I HAVE YET to see a split decision that wasn't "controversial" or had a rack solid explanation as to how the judges scored it as they did. In addition, one big variable that I've seen no one mention yet: St. Pierre IS the champion and in over 40 years of watching a challenger take on the champion, the challenger's victory has to be VERY convincing for him/her to dethrone the reigning champ. In the days of Ali, such decision were almost criminal, as he was impossible to beat because of his champion status.

As a great toothless philostopher once said, :"thems is the facts, Jack."