Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

Yoel Romero

That's what I saw too gutfirst. Put him self way out of position when he got taken down; actually got a leg or a go behind a bunch of times and let him go. I'm sure he is enjoying knocking all these guys out but once he gets better competition hell probably need to take down and GNP to succeed.

Alright. I am a fan of this guy now. Was always a nemesis against Gutches and Cael for 10 years and I was routing against him. World champ and 8 time medalist! I think he would beat Weidman. He only has a couple good years left to get it done before he creeps closer to his upper 30s. I doubt he has time left to get a shot at Wiedman. He will need three more good wins to be considered. But I doubt Dana wants him to rep the UFC even if he could crush SIlva or Weidman.

Romero would beat Weidman in wrestling but MMA is different. So far Romero has had his way punching out lesser athletes (except for his loss, which was pretty ugly). Against the top guys I assume he would need to wrestle and play the ground game to win, he isn't the slickest boxer out there . Romero's wrestling isn't exactly a MMA friendly style (wrestles with movement and ankle picks)... I assume he could make it work if he wanted to, but how is his submission game? How would he eact to getting hit hard? Difficult to know. I do want him to fight a top 10 guy next time and see how good he really is. As you say, 3 wins are probably needed.

Romero fought pretty well and he is tremendously explosive and knows how to attack from angles. He tries to play it too cute though and a really experienced striker would pick him apart or knock him out.

I hadn't seen him fight before. Maybe he wasn't wrestling to avoid potential submissions but I have no idea why you wouldn't utilize your wrestling when you were a world champion at one point.

His match with Adam Saitiev in the world final is one of my all time favorite matches. Just a sick exchange at the end of the match. Should a takedown have been awarded for Saitiev? I for one wish the match had continued.

Possibly all supporting points were down but I feel the refs gave the match to Saitiev. Remember that Romero was winning 3-2 and they suddenly cautioned Romero and gave Saitiev a point to tie it up and send it to OT. I think Romero should have won in regulation.

Saitiev had received many "gifts" throughout his career.

Possibly all supporting points were down but I feel the refs gave the match to Saitiev. Remember that Romero was winning 3-2 and they suddenly cautioned Romero and gave Saitiev a point to tie it up and send it to OT. I think Romero should have won in regulation.

Saitiev had received many "gifts" throughout his career.

\

\

Agreed. The TD was legitimate (probably), the caution was not. Both Saitievs are incedible, but they definitely tend to get the benefit of the doubt from the officials.

Yes, great match. (AnklePicker, thanks for posting it, never saw it til now.)

Yeah tough way to lose, I would have liked to see it continue too, but that was the FILA freestyle rule.

As far as the passivity call against Romero (and I can't stand subjective calls), I thought it was definitely there. Right after Romero's 3 pt throw, the track shoes came on. Blatant at 3:36 - 3:39, 3:50's, 4:38-4:40, at 5:00 Romero wouldn't get up right in front of the ref, 5:20-5:25, 5:30, then the fans finally had enough at 5:36, thus the 1 pt. All that passivity with a 1 pt. lead. Sort of a no brainer call, at least I thought it was.

quick single and armspin, not trying to butt heads with you guys (IMO you guys are great posters here - you too AP), just such an intense match, I really got into it.

187 was such an amazing weight class then. Too bad Cael didnt go. Russia had Satiev, Gatsalov and Sajidov. Sajidov beat Gatsalov for 3rd at russian nationals! Iran had Heydari and Romero of course. I hate politics-would have loved to have seen Cael there this year. Romero wanted revenge and was just trying to do whatever he could to beat the heavy favorite. Most people considered Adam the best p4p in the world at the time.