Sign in to follow this  
powerhalf

Family Ties

Looking at the Minnesota roster it's a bit crazy how many sibling sets they have. The Dardanes twins, little Ness, little Zilverberg, the Kingsleys, little Thorn, and last year they had the last of the Yohns and there's another Thorn on the way. This along with parent sets i.e. the Jordans at Wisconsin and tOSU. Can anyone think of a program where there are so many families? Also, why does wrestling seem to be so much more familial than other sports. I've never seen any other team or lineup that's 50% family members.

Looking at the Minnesota roster it's a bit crazy how many sibling sets they have. The Dardanes twins, little Ness, little Zilverberg, the Kingsleys, little Thorn, and last year they had the last of the Yohns and there's another Thorn on the way. This along with parent sets i.e. the Jordans at Wisconsin and tOSU. Can anyone think of a program where there are so many families? Also, why does wrestling seem to be so much more familial than other sports. I've never seen any other team or lineup that's 50% family members.

BYU in the seventies. I think 3 Hansons and 3 Fehlbergs at the same time.

Not to hijack, but more interesting may be brothers who wrestled for different schools at the same time....the Huntleys and Buraks come to mind. I remember that the Buraks even had the "chance" of meeting at the NCAA tournament, has it ever happened??? Thanks and take care.

The University of Michigan had all three Zeerip brothers on the roster at the same time. They also had the Churella brothers, Steiner Brothers(Rechsteiner). CMU had Casey and Ryan Cunningham. Cornell had 4x AA and NC Cam Simaz and his younger brother is currently a freshman on the team and his youngest brother is a senior in hs.

Not to hijack, but more interesting may be brothers who wrestled for different schools at the same time....the Huntleys and Buraks come to mind. I remember that the Buraks even had the "chance" of meeting at the NCAA tournament, has it ever happened??? Thanks and take care.

A few years ago Eric Simaz of Central Michigan and his younger brother Cam of Cornell were in the same ncaa bracket at 197. They were close to possibly meeting had Eric won a couple more matches in the consolations. But the Burak's were literally a match away from meeting each other last year if I remember correctly.

"Not to hijack, but more interesting may be brothers who wrestled for different schools at the same time....the Huntleys and Buraks come to mind. I remember that the Buraks even had the "chance" of meeting at the NCAA tournament, has it ever happened??? Thanks and take care."

The Meys brothers at Lehigh and Boston U were in the same bracket at the 2011 NCAA tournament I believe.

cornell has had the greys (mark and mike), the dakes (corey & kyle), the realbutos (dylan & brian)

harvard had the janztens... along with steven kieth who went to the same high school

hofstra had the partoviches, and ruggirellos

ohio state= steibers

cal poly= boris and filip

ole miss had eli and cooper not peyton

OU currently has Justin DeAngelis son of Frank DeAngelis, and Danny Chaid Jr. son of Dan Chaid SR on its varsity at 157 and 184, respectively. OU has a verbal commitment from Lance, Joel, and Andrew Dixon identical triplets from Edmond North. Trust me they are identical I've gotten to know them fairly well. Their mom tells me she has to look at their wrestling shoes when they are at a tournament to know which one she is talking too.

"Not to hijack, but more interesting may be brothers who wrestled for different schools at the same time....the Huntleys and Buraks come to mind. I remember that the Buraks even had the "chance" of meeting at the NCAA tournament, has it ever happened??? Thanks and take care."

The Meys brothers at Lehigh and Boston U were in the same bracket at the 2011 NCAA tournament I believe.

The Peppelmans are Harvard, Cornell, and UVA, and the Perrys are Iowa and Okie State.

The Peppelmans wrestle at Harvard, Cornell, and Virginia, and the Perrys went to Iowa and Okie State.