Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Penn State in need of future 165, Who will step up?

Hammond? Cody Law? Can Bo Nickal go at 165 next year, or is he past that now with his size?

And who will be our next stud recruits at 157 and 165. I figure Jimmy G. is set at 133 for a while, Zain at 141 and Nolf at 149. So I figure Penn State's recruiting needs right now are at 125, 157 and 165.

Maybe a small pool of Mason Manville, Josh Shields, Zach Kelly, and Chris Weiler would be a good place to look for that 157/165 area.

Love to see Pletcher and Lee in our line up down the road, but we need another 125 in between. If Conoway can go 125 then we'd have Mega for two more years, then Conoway, then Pletcher? Then the following year Lee and Pletcher?

The true test for Sanderson will begin next year. It will be nearly IDENTICAL to what Brands took a ton of heat about. How will Sanderson do once he ONLY has PSU recruits HE RECRUITED on his team? David Taylor and Ed Ruth will be gone. The crazy thing is I see a VERY SIMILAR result for him as Brands. He will have top 5 teams and could challenge for titles. However, he will not have the teams that stand out like he did while benefiting from the crossovers. I haven't noticed this discussed NEARLY as often as it was beaten to death regarding Brands early Championship run. With the teams both OSU's have put together as well as Minn and Iowa, a Taylorless/Ruthless PSU team is gonna have it's hands full trying to keep it's streak alive next year(if they win this year).

The reason it isn't talked about as much is because there are many differences:

1. There weren't as many transfers and Cyler Sanderson only had 1 year of eligibility; and

2. No more then one transfer was ever in the starting lineup at any given time; and

3. Cael won a championship with ZERO transfers in the starting lineup (see 2012), something Brands has yet to accomplish; and

4. David Taylor was not a transfer, was Cael's recruit and ONLY wrestled at PSU under Cael; and

5. Ed Ruth wrestled ALL 5 years under Sanderson, so the fact he was not a Sanderson recruit doesn't really matter to knowledgeable fans; they know who developed him from high school unlike a guy like Perry who wrestled for two coaches. Furthermore, Ruth could of walked when Sanderson was hired but choose to stay and wrestle for him.

Not even going to take the time to take apart the dumbest post of the year Tigs. All I'll say is Andrew Long and leave it at that. I'm interested to see what Cael can do, as well, once he graduates his two team super team. I'm really high on Zain Retherford. We'll see if he has the minor drop off Iowa did or if he can hold. I really don't think Iowa or Minnesota has had that much drop off. They've not put together a full TEAM tournament in the last three years (see Steinhaus last year) but they've both had plenty of solid individual performances in the last three years. (see Dylan Ness/Derek St. John/Matt McD/et.) I think it's just been more of the PSU super double team and their ridiculous amount of bonus points. If we're honest with ourselves Oklahoma St. wins last year if David Taylor is at Iowa St. But he's not so who cares. You have two teams put together and you're winning. It's not illegal. It's a good strategy. Works for Lebron. Enjoy the winning but for god sakes get out of fantasy land and start calling things what they are. Just try it for a bit and see how it suits you guys. It could change your life.

Not even going to take the time to take apart the dumbest post of the year Tigs. All I'll say is Andrew Long and leave it at that. I'm interested to see what Cael can do, as well, once he graduates his two team super team. I'm really high on Zain Retherford. We'll see if he has the minor drop off Iowa did or if he can hold. I really don't think Iowa or Minnesota has had that much drop off. They've not put together a full TEAM tournament in the last three years (see Steinhaus last year) but they've both had plenty of solid individual performances in the last three years. (see Dylan Ness/Derek St. John/Matt McD/et.) I think it's just been more of the PSU super double team and their ridiculous amount of bonus points. If we're honest with ourselves Oklahoma St. wins last year if David Taylor is at Iowa St. But he's not so who cares. You have two teams put together and you're winning. It's not illegal. It's a good strategy. Works for Lebron. Enjoy the winning but for god sakes get out of fantasy land and start calling things what they are. Just try it for a bit and see how it suits you guys. It could change your life.

If were going to be "honest" where would Oklahoma State be if Caldwell was still at Oklahoma, Z was still in Russia and their 184 was still in Jr. College last year?.......Talk about an epic fail.....oh and again, Taylor WAS NOT a transfer.

You know what Taylor was. You're dumb but not that dumb. So you're aware that Okie St. has transfers. Iowa has transfers. A ton of small schools had transfers this last year. You just can't admit your boys put together two teams and reaped the benefits. Go ahead and fire back I'm done with you again. You're too dense. Intentional or not and I really don't think it's intentional, I just think you're this simple. Back on the no respond list with Mopar's ignorant behind. I'm sorry I feel bad. I enjoy the back and forth but you're too dumb. I'm moving on to Rodney and Old Marine and some of those guys. Good die hard fans who aren't insane. Have a good day Tigsy!!! I'm sure we'll spar again someday!!!

You know what Taylor was. You're dumb but not that dumb. So you're aware that Okie St. has transfers. Iowa has transfers. A ton of small schools had transfers this last year. You just can't admit your boys put together two teams and reaped the benefits. Go ahead and fire back I'm done with you again. You're too dense. Intentional or not and I really don't think it's intentional, I just think you're this simple. Back on the no respond list with Mopar's ignorant behind. I'm sorry I feel bad. I enjoy the back and forth but you're too dumb. I'm moving on to Rodney and Old Marine and some of those guys. Good die hard fans who aren't insane. Have a good day Tigsy!!! I'm sure we'll spar again someday!!!

:D

Gonzo....Are you actually comparing the Virginia Tech/Iowa situation with Penn State??? We all know your black and gold glasses are always on but at least try to be a credible poster. 125 Mega(cael recruit) 133 jimmy gulibon( cael recruit), jordan conaway (cael recruit) 141 retherford and beitz (both cael recruits) 149 andrew alton ( cael recruit) 157 dylan alton ( cael recruit) 167 david taylor ( cael recruit) ..some possible argument that he originally committed to iowa state ( but never wrestled a day there) 174 matt brown (possible argument here) 184 ed ruth( penn state recruit) 197 morgan mcintosh ( cael recruit) hwy jimmy Lawson, ruggear and gingrich 9Cael recruits).... the cael recruits dominate the psu lineup. So please Gonzo tell me my inaccuracies

How's David Taylor a transfer?

Taylor signed a NLI with the Cyclones during the early signing period. Iowa State subsequently released Taylor from his commitment after Cael bolted for Happy Valley. Had Iowa State not released Taylor, he would have had to sit out a year in order to go to PSU.

Although he never matriculated as a student, for all intents and purposes you can consider his going from Iowa State to PSU a transfer since the NLI was in play.

You have to ask if Liberty did not drop their program whether Conaway would be there at all even though I do believe he was "coached up" at PSU. The Altons were already planning on going to PSU before Sanderson was hired. Taylor technically isn't a transfer as in the VT scenario because he never attended Iowa State and Ruth and Wright were Sunderland recruits but I do not believe they were "coached up" with Sanderson. Everyone knew the potential of Ruth (maybe not 3 years of dominating) but we all knew he had national champ ability. Wright took 6th as a true freshman under Sunderland and Perry and then took a redshirt so winning as a redshirt sophomore is not that big of a strech.

"Maybe a small pool of Mason Manville, Josh Shields, Zach Kelly, and Chris Weiler would be a good place to look for that 157/165 area."

Kelly has a verbal to another school although we just witnessed how that can work out in the end but he will not be in a college room for another 2 years. The Lizak to Minny was a suprise. Most people don't understand that he is as good as it gets and I see him staying at 125 for much of his career.

"Stroker might feel in nice at 157 only a JR but the kid has the frame."

He is orginally a PA boy so that is not a strech.

I don't see much of a drop off with PSU with all "Cael recruits" but I think we are going to see some nice battles in the future because I do believe giving PSU the automatic NCAA title is going to be gone. But I do believe without the combinations of VT/Iowa and Iowa State/PSU, that Cornell would've been 2x National Champions and Okie St would've won last year.

PSU definitely would not havewon the first w/o isu - do we get 1/2 of a national title to add to our 7?

Actually, xander, Penn State would not have won any of the last 3 National Championships without ISU = Cael Sanderson. Add that to your bitterness...

As for a future 165 in Happy Valley, tread water next year with Law, Hammond, etc., then bring in the Valencia Brothers from St. John Bosco in SoCal.

Zahid can over 125 when Mega is gone and Anthony can take 165. He's had some great results, from being a CA State Champ as a freshman at 126, 2nd as a soph (145), 3rd (Greco) and 4th (free) in Fargo this past summer and a Freakshow win over Hall from Apple Valley approx 2 weeks ago.

If Coach Sanderson needs any more answers for his program, he can reach me via PM here :D

I think we may be looking at a 2014-15 lineup that looks like this:

125 - Megaludis

133 - Gulibon

141 - Retherford

149 - A. Alton

157 - D. Alton

165 - Garett Hammond

174 - Cody Law

184 - Matt Brown

197 - Morgan McIntosh

285 - Jimmy Lawson

I think you'll be looking at top 5 finishes at 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 184, 197, and possibly 285 with high potential with Hammond and Law.

Add for 2015-16 Jason Nolf to 141 (along with Conaway), have Retherford bump up to 149, add Bo Nickal and Jason Nolf as two blue chip redshirts for that season and you have a dynasty in the making.

The silver lining in this Chance dark cloud is that Penn State has more schollies available.

More likely to see Brown stay 174 and McCutcheon go 184.

Also more likely to see Zain stay 141 and Nolf succeed Alton at 149. Nolf is a bit taller, weighs about the same as Zain now, and has more room to fill out.

RE: Taylor and his NLI - if ISU had not released him he would have to sit out a year, but he sat out that first year anyway as a redshirt as Cyler took the 157 spot. It wasn't until a year later that Bubba flattened him.

And much like Xander, yes I am still a bit bitter, but I come by it honestly. :D

More likely to see Brown stay 174 and McCutcheon go 184.

Also more likely to see Zain stay 141 and Nolf succeed Alton at 149. Nolf is a bit taller, weighs about the same as Zain now, and has more room to fill out.

Good points, and I forgot about McCutcheon. I think with Bo Nickal, Cael and company will be satisfied with what they can do at those weights. I think the next big search for them will be to fill 125. All of the top teams like the lead off man to set the tone for the dual meet if they start at the traditional weight.