Sign in to follow this  
John Jensen

Aaron Pico

For 17 Pico is proving to be a hammer even against some tough college or international competition. With his connection to the OTC I'm sure their is some consideration on his side of going the Cejudo route. Though I'd love to see him on the college mat, I'm sure winning senior level matches like this are just adding more fuel to the OTC route.

I didn't see Simmons take one shot...

Simmons barely shot in 9min vs Abas. He may be past his FS prime.

Simmons isn't exactly a takedown machine to start with when wrestling internationally Then add in the fact Simmons is up a weight class, hasn't been training at a high level lately (wrestling in IU's room isn't quite like a high level RTC), and his opponent is a great defensive/counter wrestler. All that adds up to the result that we weren't going to get too many attacks from Simmon while in neutral in this one. Or in most cases any matches he's been in lately or in the near future.

Yup, officially #1 on my list of High School kids I have ever seen.

I have to agree now. I had Kolat as #1 before but this is ridiculous. What a friggin' beast.

Not too many HS kids have even had the chance to get several senior level international matches. Heck most top college kids don't even get that opportunity until graduation.

We always think a new upstart is going to be the greatest ever...until they wrestle some guy the same age or younger from Russia or one of the ex-Soviet states who defeats them.

Happens every time this forum hypes up a prospect.

Russia probably has about a dozen guys we've never heard of who are as good.

We always think a new upstart is going to be the greatest ever...until they wrestle some guy the same age or younger from Russia or one of the ex-Soviet states who defeats them.

Like when Cejudo was young..... oh wait..... never mind..... that Cejudo kid ended up doing pretty well.

Like when Cejudo was young..... oh wait..... never mind..... that Cejudo kid ended up doing pretty well.

one and done. For the hype he was getting you'd think he was the next John Smith.

Perhaps they do DF, but apparently none of them "the same age or younger" showed up at Cadet Worlds, because the kid from the USA won that title. And this is who Russia sent to represent them for this meet, so your "probably have a half dozen the same age or younger who are as good," is speculation. This Russian faired well against some all americans last week in New York, pinning his way to the finals, before losing in a tough fought match with a former NCAA champ. Now he was just tech'd by a sophomore in high school, and you chime in to take some of that thunder away from the kid. You crack me up.

Please take your meds. You really have some serious problems. I hope your mother can help you. You need it.

Perhaps they do DF, but apparently none of them "the same age or younger" showed up at Cadet Worlds, because the kid from the USA won that title. And this is who Russia sent to represent them for this meet, so your "probably have a half dozen the same age or younger who are as good," is speculation. This Russian faired well against some all americans last week in New York, pinning his way to the finals, before losing in a tough fought match with a former NCAA champ. Now he was just tech'd by a sophomore in high school, and you chime in to take some of that thunder away from the kid. You crack me up.

I'm not taking anybody's "thunder" away. Rather I'm telling what almost happens when people here hype up a new prospect.

Instead of letting them develop, people immediately start speculating based on limited international performances (like Cadets) that they're going to be the greatest ever. They also think because an upstart defeats a more seasoned domestic wrestler that it will translate into spectacular international success. That's been proven untrue over and over again.

Very impressive win by Pico. I love this kids style. He's always looking to score. He finishes as soon as he gets in. He has so much energy he makes me tired just watching. Even when he gets off the mat and does an immediate interview he looks like he's ready to go another full match. He is deceptively strong and he is going to do nothing but get stronger as he matures. The way he gets those snatch singles like they easy shows how strong he is for his age. This kid has it all! If he keeps working hard, which I suspect he will because you can tell in his interviews how much passion he has for wrestling and training, he is going to be tough as nails by the time he reaches college (or senior level if he decides to skip college).

Edit:typo

When you take time off at this level most never can get back to where they were like Cejudo. When you lose a step at this level and go up a weight then you get smoked like Simmons. Very few can come back after layoffs and make world teams. Cael was only a one timer but is very rare. 7 years off, coming back and winning trials and was in the running for winning worlds. 99% do not do that

If Pico wins a title while still in high school then his name will be big, maybe Cael type big. Then Dana White will call and we will only get one cycle out of him.$$ talks!

one and done. For the hype he was getting you'd think he was the next John Smith.

One and done- oh...like you!

I get it - you are trolling. Troll food is expensive these days so this is all I can afford for the month. I only regret I didn't use it on a better troll.

Is it just me, or is Pico ready to challenge Metcalf, Oliver, and Russell?

We will find out at the open. Maybe somebody can answer this, it's a state by state thing. If Pico continues to compete in senior level tournaments during the California high school season, would that make him ineligible to compete for his high school when it's time for the qualifying tournaments to go to state? I have to admit I don't know what the CIF rules are about something like this. I know in Arizona competing outside of scholastic competition during that sport's regular season makes you ineligible. They put that rule in place to stop soccer players from playing club team games and then high school games at the same time since they felt it wasn't fair and would lead to recruiting. I'd understand if Pico decided winning 4 state titles wasn't a big deal, instead having bigger goals than just that. But I'd hope if he does plan to do that he is able to stay eligible by CIF rules and continue his quest.

Its just you. Pico is good actually great for a 17/18 year old kid but not ready to challenge Oliver or even metcalf.
Is it just me, or is Pico ready to challenge Metcalf, Oliver, and Russell?

We will find out at the open. Maybe somebody can answer this, it's a state by state thing. If Pico continues to compete in senior level tournaments during the California high school season, would that make him ineligible to compete for his high school when it's time for the qualifying tournaments to go to state? I have to admit I don't know what the CIF rules are about something like this. I know in Arizona competing outside of scholastic competition during that sport's regular season makes you ineligible. They put that rule in place to stop soccer players from playing club team games and then high school games at the same time since they felt it wasn't fair and would lead to recruiting. I'd understand if Pico decided winning 4 state titles wasn't a big deal, instead having bigger goals than just that. But I'd hope if he does plan to do that he is able to stay eligible by CIF rules and continue his quest.

Bro, he's 16 (six-teen) about to turn, but who cares. All you do is hate on a "kid" (teenager) that is humble and dedicated to the sport, more than you will ever be. So why don't you just crawl back down your hole and STFU! POS!

The CIF rules only state that a wrestler has to have a certain amount of matches before the qualifying tournaments start, depending on your section that varies. I don't think Pico will have a problem getting a some matches in before the qualifying series.

Great win by Aaron Pico!!! I didn't see Simmons take one shot...

What's funny is you claim a great win by Pico which it obviously was but then state that Simmons didn't take one shot. Well guess what...NEITHER DID PICO. Watch the match again. Pico doesn't take a single shot the entire match. He does this quite a bit. He scores so many of his points via go behinds and counters. There's a lot to be learned by how this kid wins.

Bro, he's 16 (six-teen) about to turn, but who cares.

Actually I believe he turned 17 a few months back. But anyways he's participating on the senior level and preforming well so in that context the age/maturity thing should be in the conversation like it sometimes is brought up in HS discussions.