Sign in to follow this  
John Jensen

Aaron Pico

With way better snaps then metcalf and better go behinds. Metcalf always went to a front headlock where Pico just goes straight for the go behind. Pico has a great hi crotch as well but is very selective when using it. Has to have a real good elbow pass or angle before he hits it. Very disciplined wrestler.

Pico has a great hi crotch as well but is very selective when using it.

Nope. Pico does not have a "great hi crotch" and he is not "very selective when using it." Remember Fargo when Pico went down 0-9 and almost got teched by shooting high crotches and not finishing? Remember how he won the match after he went away from the high crotch and scored 20ish unanswered points mostly using a go-behind?

EDIT: spelling

Its just you. Pico is good actually great for a 17/18 year old kid but not ready to challenge Oliver or even metcalf.

Probably a year away, but the fact that we are even talking about it is crazy. And I think he just turned 17 fwiw. That said, I don't think it would be a surprise to see him take like 4th or 5th, beating the LeValley, Chamberlain, and Novachkov type guys. Maybe even a Molinaro or a Russell.

Oliver and Metcalf will be a tall order in all likelihood.

Pico has a great hi crotch as well but is very selective when using it.

Nope. Pico does not have a "great hi crotch" and he is not "very selective when using it." Remember Fargo when Pico went down 0-9 and almost got teched by shooting high crotches and not finishing? Remember how he won the match after he went away from the high crotch and scored 20ish unanswered points mostly using a go-behind?

EDIT: spelling

Yup. Watch his matches from the cadet world championships. Perhaps he learned a lesson in Fargo. He hits a nice hi c in the finals to win the world title.

Kid's a stud. Tech'd every person at Fargo over the summer, won Fila juniors in Greco and Freestyle, won Fila Cadet world championships - not to mention all of his hs accomplishments.

Zeke would not have had Pico compete on the international level against the Russian unless he was ready, and he was. 8-0 tech and domination. The next day, Russel secured a last second take down to win the match - against the same Russian. I think the match was 9-9 or something like that before the take down (where the Russian just laid on his back and punched Russel because he knew the match was over and got pinned).

It's tough to compare matches, but that's a big difference. Pico was also at the Senior World Championships and participated in all of those camps with team USA. I would say he's ready to compete against the top guys in our country and, if he continues to progress like this and stay injury free, will compete for a spot in 2016. Possibly sooner.

The Kellen Russell v. Emeev match was crazy.

Russell trailed, and tied the score at 11-11 with about 10 seconds left. Got an exposure with a few seconds to go and the russian just gave up.

Dude didn't get a point on Pico and scored eleven on Kellen? Wow.

Easy grappler....didn't say it was. Crazy opportunities for the kid to even be drilling with these other guys (including the Russian world champ in the other video from that site). That said, I suspect there would be more than a little difference between the two should he and Oliver actually being giving it a go.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... A-V-Russia

Not saying Pico would beat the upper tier USA guys like Oliver, Russell, Metcalf but according to Coach Jones in this interview Pico was going "toe to toe" with the top Russian 66kg AND 74kg guys. I would say based on the Emeev result that Pico would be very competitive with our upper tier guys.

Pico appears to have some great coaching and has made great progress since his controversial loss to Heil at S32 and even his near loss at Fargo.

In another interview Pico mentions going to France for competition. Does anyone if any of the other USA guys be there?

Russell trailed, and tied the score at 11-11 with about 10 seconds left. Got an exposure with a few seconds to go and the russian just gave up.

I actually think Emeev got screwed out of a few points in that match. Says even more about Pico's impressive win..

Plus a little cheap shot by Emeev at the end after he got frustrated.

Here is the video. http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... dzhi-Emeev

Plus a little cheap shot by Emeev at the end after he got frustrated.

Here is the video. http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... dzhi-Emeev

If I was the Russian I would have been pissed too. He got some bad calls against him in that match.

I also thought the calls, primarily in the second period, were very suspect. Emeev had every right to be frustrated, but not to the minor cheap shot against Russell. Enough said about them. I am more interested at this point in how quickly Pico establishes himself as our guy at this weight (whatever the new weight is). Pico is about the same age as Asgarov when he burst onto the scene a couple years ago. He's ready.

I also thought the calls, primarily in the second period, were very suspect. Emeev had every right to be frustrated, but not to the minor cheap shot against Russell. Enough said about them. I am more interested at this point in how quickly Pico establishes himself as our guy at this weight (whatever the new weight is). Pico is about the same age as Asgarov when he burst onto the scene a couple years ago. He's ready.

He is still a kid and growing. I find it hard to believe that he will still be at this weight in three years. We could end up with the biggest bottleneck at 163 in the history of US wrestling. We are starting to look like Russia at this weight class with our depth.