Sign in to follow this  
John Jensen

Aaron Pico

I also thought the calls, primarily in the second period, were very suspect. Emeev had every right to be frustrated, but not to the minor cheap shot against Russell. Enough said about them. I am more interested at this point in how quickly Pico establishes himself as our guy at this weight (whatever the new weight is). Pico is about the same age as Asgarov when he burst onto the scene a couple years ago. He's ready.

He is still a kid and growing. I find it hard to believe that he will still be at this weight in three years. We could end up with the biggest bottleneck at 163 in the history of US wrestling. We are starting to look like Russia at this weight class with our depth.

Pico is a teen phenom, but at this point he is far behind Burroughs. And there's no guarantee he'll continue to improve. He may or he may not. And if he improves, we don't know how much he'll improve. So let's just wait and see what he does.

As for "bottlenecks"... Neither Dake nor Taylor have international records to speak of. I don't think we can just assume they'd do well. For example, in college Metcalf looked unbeatable. yet, he hasn't been able to win a match at worlds. Right now, at 163, Burroughs is the only proven commodity.

Well, to be fair, Dake does have two real international wins against the two toughest countries. Granted, they were nothing to write home about. But he remains very tough to score on unless you are Burroughs. I agree Burroughs is the only really proven guy, but Dake is getting a few in here and there and isn't the totally unknown guy he was before the WTT.