Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

jrob calls out cael on dual proposal

Exactly. A 90 minute team event to determine the team championship, whereas the "tournament team title" is already decided by the Finals in most cases, makes tons of sense and is far more likely to draw fans than a 3 day individual tournament. The charm of duals is that it's one team against another in 10 individual matches. It's going to be Iowa vs. Penn State or whoever for all 10 matches, so there's more emotion as well as ebb and flow to the proceedings.

Have you attended a dual? More emotion and ebb and flow, isn't how I'd describe a dual. Especially in close matches. It's more like, hope for a TD, cheer a little on an attempt, dead silence, finally get a TD, clapping, dead silence. 2nd period, 2mins of dead silence due to ride out, 3rd period, 2 more mins of dead silence. End match, some more clapping, people wake up and repeat.

Sorry, but I've been to duals and this is the problem that no one is willing to admit, wrestling is not a spectator sport in todays athletics. Their is too much dead time that the casual fan will never understand or ever bother to cheer for. Heck, more diehard fans can hear the boredom during a dual. Wrestling in general just isn't exciting to people.

The reason being because only one match is being wrestled at one time. At the current NCAA's, the reason why its so exciting is because when a match gets boring, you can start watching another match, or another match, or another. Todays fans want to see action and you just don't get it with duals in the same manner as you would at a individual tournament. People today have the attention span of about 5 secs and lose interest.

Offer a raffle for a brand new Mercedes, that will bring fans in. Simply changing the NCAA team title from individual to duals, won't do a thing to bring in new fans. Not until some things change with how we compete.

I'll start... 1) hire an independent marketing company to evaluate the situation

Because the study the NCAA did isn't good enough? You know, the one where they determined the average age of NCAA attendees was rising and some type of change to introduce a younger fan base was recommended.

What is the average age of a college wrestling fan according to the NCAA study?

Exactly. A 90 minute team event to determine the team championship, whereas the "tournament team title" is already decided by the Finals in most cases, makes tons of sense and is far more likely to draw fans than a 3 day individual tournament. The charm of duals is that it's one team against another in 10 individual matches. It's going to be Iowa vs. Penn State or whoever for all 10 matches, so there's more emotion as well as ebb and flow to the proceedings.

Have you attended a dual? More emotion and ebb and flow, isn't how I'd describe a dual. Especially in close matches. It's more like, hope for a TD, cheer a little on an attempt, dead silence, finally get a TD, clapping, dead silence. 2nd period, 2mins of dead silence due to ride out, 3rd period, 2 more mins of dead silence. End match, some more clapping, people wake up and repeat.

Sorry, but I've been to duals and this is the problem that no one is willing to admit, wrestling is not a spectator sport in todays athletics. Their is too much dead time that the casual fan will never understand or ever bother to cheer for. Heck, more diehard fans can hear the boredom during a dual. Wrestling in general just isn't exciting to people.

The reason being because only one match is being wrestled at one time. At the current NCAA's, the reason why its so exciting is because when a match gets boring, you can start watching another match, or another match, or another. Todays fans want to see action and you just don't get it with duals in the same manner as you would at a individual tournament. People today have the attention span of about 5 secs and lose interest.

Offer a raffle for a brand new Mercedes, that will bring fans in. Simply changing the NCAA team title from individual to duals, won't do a thing to bring in new fans. Not until some things change with how we compete.

Well then why does football have so much interest, when there are 14 minutes of competition in a game that lasts more than three hours long?

Beer and lots of it.

Case in point, in a quick onlinè search of YouTube, I typed in Ultimate basketball highlight. Up came a Brian Scalabrine highlight reel. Upload Sept 11, 2012, and it had over 900,000 hits. The Ultimate Highlight wrestling clip had around 180,000 hits and was posted nearly a year and a half ago.

Brian Scalabrine, a no time all star who averaged 6.3pts a game, a career backup, is 7 times more relevant by himself in the world, than the best wrestling has to offer.

The issue isn't duals or individual. The issue is, people could care less about our fringe sport no matter how we package it.

14 minutes of competition in a game that lasts more than three hours long?
This kind of relates to a pet peeve of mine. I've recently come to the realization that the time to play a volleyball game could be cut in half, if not more, if players didn't converge at the center of their court and glad hand AFTER EVERY FREAKING POINT!

Drives me mad! :twisted:

I agree that a lot of America doesn't know what to look for in a wrestling match, but a good commentator can help a lot in a televised event.

I don't buy the dead time excuse. I have wathced enough soccer, baseball, and football to know that people are anticipating a great moment during the dead time. Sports are loaded with dead time. Wrestling is no different.

Have not read the entire thread...but people I talk to talk about going to the NCAA's like it's essentially Vegas...lot's of fun and socializing during the breaks in sessions generally a good time and watch some wrestling too.

The big problem is a wrestling dual meet is boring. Go to a Single A baseball game, all sorts of activities, sponsors booths, giveaways, contest on the side of the fields, homerun giveaways, dancing between innings, music, kids on the field with competitions, boy scout or baseball or park district group nights, camp outs, and more...lots more promotion and fun needs to be brought into the dual meets...

Top it all off with you going to see certain matchups and people are injured or are defaulted to and don't even wrestle...have seen that too often and to be honest really would sour most people attending dual meets...

2X NCAA Champ fails and lays down...Basically an EGG...Minnesota in control of the Scuffle and laid an EGG in the QTR's...Minny in control of the B1G and laid an EGG...Minnesota in control once again and laid the biggest EGG...You folks need to "Pay Attention"!!!

Does he have to speak with every coach???

P.S. The PSU "Train" will fill the stands not sure Minnesota does!!!

When he is speaking for them, and or when he makes claims like he did. Yea he should.

I am glad you have had a good team for two whole years. That is awesome.

I am actually very impressed with what Cael has done and applaud him for it. Some of us can respect and appreciate all sorts of teams. But as we have seen in your post and wrestle(iam9) post some people can't.

Yea its out east you wil probably have more fans, do you want us to make a trophy for you? Grow up.

I do not think Minn laid an egg at all. They were killing it in the conso's. I couldn't believe how they were winning match after match. Looked pretty grimm for PSU. Nelson losing in the finals was not laying an egg. He came into the finals with a few losses. There was no lock at HWT this year.

The excitement and buzz about the team race did however prove the point about how exciting the team race is at the NCAA tournament. JRob and Koll have to realize that.

I think Cael slipped in a few strategically placed comments about how exciting the team race would be in the presser before the tournament and in interviews after the tournament.

I do not think Minn laid an egg at all. They were killing it in the conso's. I couldn't believe how they were winning match after match. Looked pretty grimm for PSU. Nelson losing in the finals was not laying an egg. He came into the finals with a few losses. There was no lock at HWT this year.

The excitement and buzz about the team race did however prove the point about how exciting the team race is at the NCAA tournament. JRob and Koll have to realize that.

I think Cael slipped in a few strategically placed comments about how exciting the team race would be in the presser before the tournament and in interviews after the tournament.

It was exciting. I would have liked to have been able to do before and after photos on some of the Penn State fans' fingernails. That being said, as much less exciting as it would have been this year (as Penn State would have had a headstart coming into NCAA Thursday this year), there are likely quite a few years (admittedly, I haven't checked) where it would have been MORE exciting than in years' past.

Why do you guys even engage these piece of s*** Penn State fans. They are the lowest class of person that exists.

Number one, I wholeheartedly disagree. Number two, perhaps you need to learn to disagree without being disagreeable. The Penn State fans (generally) and I have disagreed on quite a few things (such as the National Duals situation), but I definitely can get into a reasonable discussion with them about things, and maybe learn a thing or two, and they can learn a thing or two so that, while we still disagree, I at least can understand where they are coming from.

Number three, even if that were true, you've just dropped to their level, and given them the opportunity to beat you with experience.

I didn't mean all PSU fans...just the group on this message board like CT Mopar and Flying Tiger. They are horrible people, plain and simple. Tiggy posted the names of the seeding committee when he felt his team didn't get a fair shake. The only reason someone does this is to do harm onto those individuals. Yes, they are the lowest class of human.

See, this is the problem tommygun, you live in a fantasy world. I really wasn't focused on PSU seedings in that thread but you distort the truth just so you can complain about it (i.e. straw argument). I was interested in transparency and committee membership is a legitimate topic to most college wrestling fans, especially considering there may be few that don't follow college wrestling anywhere near as much as you or I. Saying that I did it just to "harm" someone is just nasty, over-the-top hyperbole, and singlehandedly worse then anything a PSU fan has done on these boards.

Also, what about the fact there was a Minnesota 2014 national champions t-shirt for sale SATURDAY morning. If that was PSU, my god, we would be those arrogant, s.o.b. penn state fans and you probably would of accused me of being the vendor.

Finally, here's my comments on Minnesota's tournament in another thread:

Minnesota did wrestle great. PSU wrestled a really good tournament and the Gophers were still right there in position to win. They also seem have a lot of good young men on their roster. Although I was annoyed at the time, I'm happy Zberg got an AA and Steinhaus went out with a solid win.

Who's really the "horrible person" here tommygun.

tommygun, in the Foley column he also named committee members. Not a big deal at all. No different than naming the coaches that favor a dual meet instead of the tournament.

CT, I really wish you hadn't opened a 2 year old thread. While I actually get a total kick out of your posts and understand the general humorous tone they are written with, this one had disaster written all over it.

Agree, CT treats this board as fun only and doesn't take himself serious. That being said, opening this thread like that was looking for trouble. I expected some backlash, but tommygun got way too personal.

btw, I do enjoy how Mopar drives are old friend Gonzo crazy with his cryptic messages.

Agree, CT treats this board as fun only and doesn't take himself serious. That being said, opening this thread like that was looking for trouble. I expected some backlash, but tommygun got way too personal.

btw, I do enjoy how Mopar drives are old friend Gonzo crazy with his cryptic messages.

If there is anyone more emotionally scarred by the recent slide of the Iowa Hawkeyes than Gonzo, I have not met this person. Gonzo will be here shortly to deny it, but we all know it's true! Ha! :lol: