Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Stieber's Record

Logan Stieber's record is oft-cited as 60-2. This is despite the fact that he lost five matches his true freshman year, before deciding to take a redshirt. These losses may or may not have been caused by injury, but they DID happen while Logan was wrestling varsity matches for his university.

T.R. Foley at Intermat says that the NCAA practice is to wipe out records in years where the wrestler is a redshirt. This makes sense, I guess, where the wrestler was competing as a redshirt. But to wipe out a record retroactively seems vaguely Soviet and wrong.

Logan Stieber's record is oft-cited as 60-2. This is despite the fact that he lost five matches his true freshman year, before deciding to take a redshirt. These losses may or may not have been caused by injury, but they DID happen while Logan was wrestling varsity matches for his university.

T.R. Foley at Intermat says that the NCAA practice is to wipe out records in years where the wrestler is a redshirt. This makes sense, I guess, where the wrestler was competing as a redshirt. But to wipe out a record retroactively seems vaguely Soviet and wrong.

I thought that Stieber's official record had 5 losses? 3 from his true freshman year, and 2 from his redshirt freshman year.

Superold is right-- three frosh losses, five total. My bad!

Here they are. At least two were close losses to top guys so you can't say it was just an injury that caused them:

6. Jarrod Patterson (Oklahoma) Dec Logan Stieber 2-1 5-1

7. Jason Lara (Oregon State) Dec Logan Stieber 5-0 5-2

8. Frank Perrelli (Cornell) Dec Logan Stieber 9-8 5-3

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Results_LStieber.html

He lost 3 in a row at Vegas as a true freshman so his overall record is 60-5 if you count those. He took a med rs after the tournament.

I believe I've seen an interview where Logan stated that those losses were not due to his arm injury. I think I also saw one where he said he wasn't sick or injured when Brewer beat him up real bad in freestyle.

Not sure what's the verdict on the official record.

Actually, it's not clear to me whether there is such a thing as official records as to individual careers.

If you look at the NCAA record book (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/wrestling ... -14/DI.pdf)-- there are lists of past champions. But there is no lists of most career wins (Cael, I assume) or best career winning percentage (Cael again, but who is second or third?) or anything like that.

The whole idea of official records in a sport like wrestling is bizarre when you include redshirting. If I'm redshirting and you aren't and we meet in an open tournament and you win, the win counts on your record but the loss doesn't on mind and vice versa if I win it doesn't count on my record but the loss does count on your record. Very bizarre.

Actually, it's not clear to me whether there is such a thing as official records as to individual careers.

If you look at the NCAA record book (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/wrestling ... -14/DI.pdf)-- there are lists of past champions. But there is no lists of most career wins (Cael, I assume) or best career winning percentage (Cael again, but who is second or third?) or anything like that.

Stieber's first freshman bouts count because he was not unattached. His matches were in duals and in an invitational tourney (not an open tourney). Here's a thread on the topic from about 6 weeks ago...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=176301&p=425388&hilit=stieber#p425388

He was wrestling with basically one hand, so Im not going to look too much into it.

the losses still count, regardless of how many hands he used

I dont really care. Doesnt change my opinion of how great he is, or how he is on track to be a top 5 all time great. Still have the same extremely high opinion of him whether he has some meaningless losses or not.

He was wrestling with basically one hand, so Im not going to look too much into it.

What do you mean that Stieber was wrestling with basically one hand?

He had a broken hand. Why do you think he medically redshirted that year?

He had a broken hand before the 3 losses? If he did, why did the coaches let him wrestle the tournament?

What do you mean that Stieber was wrestling with basically one hand?

He had a broken hand. Why do you think he medically redshirted that year?

He had a broken hand before the 3 losses? If he did, why did the coaches let him wrestle the tournament?

He broke it at Vegas in the first match that he lost, and wrestled the next 2 with a broken hand. Then medically redshirted.

I thought that the "two" losses were to Oliver and Ramos. :lol: :lol:

That IS funny, because Ramos would never beat Steiber in a college match.

What's funny is that you don't even bother arguing the Oliver match because it was so obviously a takedown.

He broke it at Vegas in the first match that he lost, and wrestled the next 2 with a broken hand. Then medically redshirted.

How do you know he broke it in the first match? Do you actually know this, or are you assuming?

How do you know he broke it in the first match? Do you actually know this, or are you assuming?

That is what happened

How do you know that's a fact?