Sign in to follow this  
tirapell

Fresno State to prioritize bringing back wrestling

The new president of Fresno State has made it official in his desire to reinstate the men's Division 1 wrestling program. This is not only good news for California and West Coast wrestling, but it would be the first Division 1 program to be added in a very long time. I have discussed with several wrestling people and we can't recall a D1 program being added (after more than 2 years of being dropped) in 20+ years!

http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/11/08/359 ... astro.html

Don't hesitate to Tweet at @JosephICastro and show your support for Division 1 Men's Wrestling.

Very good news. Funny, my kid wore my old 'Save Fresno State Wrestling' t-shirt to his club practice this week.

As for D1 schools adding wrestling, Liberty U brought back wrestling in '04 I think it was after about 10 years from it being dropped. Unfortunately it was later re-classified to club level (2011?)

Dennis Deliddo worked diligently to try and save the program from being eliminated. It was hard to watch someone with such passion and drive for a program come up short in being able to save it. He was extremely dedicated to FSU wrestling and I hope that in some capacity that if the program is reinstated he is a part of it. He breathed Bulldog Wrestling, and deserves to be recognized for it.

Dennis Deliddo worked diligently to try and save the program from being eliminated. It was hard to watch someone with such passion and drive for a program come up short in being able to save it. He was extremely dedicated to FSU wrestling and I hope that in some capacity that if the program is reinstated he is a part of it. He breathed Bulldog Wrestling, and deserves to be recognized for it.

Dennis IS Bulldog wrestling and always will be. I don't think he's slept a minute since 2006 without dreaming of a day when Fresno State Wrestling would return. Believe me, no one is closer to the situation.

Well this is encouraging, if not actually exciting. I'll get excited when concrete action actually occurs, not when a review is proposed that may have restoration as one of many possible outcomes.

A little cart before the horse thinking: Fresno was in the PAC for five years ('87-'91) but left when FSU joined the WAC, who at that time sponsored the sport. Shortly after the WAC stopped sponsoring wrestling and WWC was born, but then Fresno wrestling got backstabed...err, dropped. I don't know if the PAC would accept them back, but I hope they would.

I'll never forget coach Deliddo "hulking out" and slapping the mat during big matches at NCAA's. That man loves wrestling, and that is the kind of person we need to bring programs back, and get new programs going. Best of luck to him and the entire Fresno wrestling community in bringing back Bulldog wrestling!