Sign in to follow this  
Nitter

Hawkeye fan dilemma

I'm interested in knowing who the Hawkeye fans hope win the match between Dake and Taylor. The Iowa fans were in full force last March voicing their disdain for Dake but will that out way their hatred for all things Penn State/Cael?

Most people were booing the official and not Dake. And, the answer is no. I was in Carver Hawkeye Arena to watch Dake destroy the Unicorn once, and will enjoy every second of it when it happens again, and possibly again, and again.

I personally think the Hawks will root for Dake to win. Because if Dake is able to win and win convincingly, it will give Dake the confidence to stay at 165 for the whole season which would open up the door for DSJ to win 157 this year.

Most people were booing the official and not Dake.

That's interesting, as all the media reports I saw reported it differently. Following is one from Iowa's own school newspaper.

Iowa is clearly no longer the team in collegiate wrestling. Derek St. John lost to ever-dominant Kyle Dake in the 157-pound finals. Dake gave an on-floor interview immediately after the match and the Iowa fans started to boo the Cornell champion.

The rest of the stadium started to cheer, simply to drown Iowa out.

“Iowa doesn’t really like to lose,” Dake said. “And their fans don’t like to lose either. If it does happen, they get a little rowdy. They think they were cheated in some way.”

Unless you can provide a reputable source to back up your claim that most of the boos were directed at the official and not Dake, I'll have to call bullcrap on this post. (I did get a chuckle out of it though.)

I personally think the Hawks will root for Dake to win. Because if Dake is able to win and win convincingly, it will give Dake the confidence to stay at 165 for the whole season which would open up the door for DSJ to win 157 this year.

I've heard murmurs from the Cornell faithful to this extent. Dake has options and vacating 157 is good for those left behind.

As far as the athletes go I won't be cheering for either. I just want to watch the match as a fan. Both have beat DSJ so they're equal in that aspect. I would say this, the Cornell fans seem to be able to handle their wrestlers winning and losing with more grace, dignity, and humbleness than SOME of the PSU fans do. That makes it easy to root against the PSU wrestlers. I would advise not falling into that trap. It's fairly normal for people who aren't accustomed to winning to not be able to handle it properly. Hence the statement "act like you've been there before" coming into existence. It's not the athletes fault SOME fans act this way and I won't take it out on them. I will just enjoy the match. I'd hope all Hawkeye fans will do the same.

As far as the athletes go I won't be cheering for either. I just want to watch the match as a fan. Both have beat DSJ so they're equal in that aspect. I would say this, the Cornell fans seem to be able to handle their wrestlers winning and losing with more grace, dignity, and humbleness than SOME of the PSU fans do. That makes it easy to root against the PSU wrestlers. I would advise not falling into that trap. It's fairly normal for people who aren't accustomed to winning to not be able to handle it properly. Hence the statement "act like you've been there before" coming into existence. It's not the athletes fault SOME fans act this way and I won't take it out on them. I will just enjoy the match. I'd hope all Hawkeye fans will do the same.

Good advice. If Dake beats Taylor and the Penn State fans boo the winner, that would indeed be classless. Much better to give a champion his due, in my opinion.

Progress that's all we can ask for!!!

Good advice. If Dake beats Taylor and the Penn State fans boo the winner, that would indeed be classless. Much better to give a champion his due, in my opinion.

As a hawk fan, I can tell you, I did not boo Dake.

As far as rooting for Dake vs Taylor, I don't have a real strong preference, but there are a couple of reasons I'd favor Dake.

First, with PSU looking like favorites to repeat, and Iowa in contention, Taylor losing could conceivably help Iowa. If Iowa has no chance, it's less of an issue.

Second, Dake seems like a pretty cool character, and a guy accomplishing what he's done, without a redshirt year, it's historic. Unless he's facing Iowa in the finals, I'd like to see Dake do it. Nothing against Taylor, btw, who has always been a good sport.

Third.... as Dr Gonzo has alluded to, it's a temptation to root against anything related to PSU given some of the obnoxious PSU fans populating this board. I realize that the PSU wrestlers have no fault in this, and I think I can overlook the tools. I also know Iowa has had some over the top posters in past, and probably every team has some. It's just something to try to rise above.

Dake seems like a pretty cool character, and a guy accomplishing what he's done, without a redshirt year, it's historic.

And at Cornell, of all places. There are multiple aspects of the Dake story that make it very compelling. And he was certainly not the favorite to win his freshman year, and arguably not the favorite his sophomore year (with Caldwell still lurking post-injury), and now we're talking about a potential 4Xer who has already beaten the NCAA champ at the next weight up, albeit in freestyle.

Most people were booing the official and not Dake. And, the answer is no. I was in Carver Hawkeye Arena to watch Dake destroy the Unicorn once, and will enjoy every second of it when it happens again, and possibly again, and again.

The Iowa fans were booing while Dake was being interviewed AFTER the match was over. It was quite clear to everyone in the arena that they were booing Dake and led by the Cornell fans pretty much ALL of the rest of the fans in attendance drowned out their boos with cheers.

As a hawk fan, I can tell you, I did not boo Dake.

As far as rooting for Dake vs Taylor, I don't have a real strong preference, but there are a couple of reasons I'd favor Dake.

First, with PSU looking like favorites to repeat, and Iowa in contention, Taylor losing could conceivably help Iowa. If Iowa has no chance, it's less of an issue.

Second, Dake seems like a pretty cool character, and a guy accomplishing what he's done, without a redshirt year, it's historic. Unless he's facing Iowa in the finals, I'd like to see Dake do it. Nothing against Taylor, btw, who has always been a good sport.

Third.... as Dr Gonzo has alluded to, it's a temptation to root against anything related to PSU given some of the obnoxious PSU fans populating this board. I realize that the PSU wrestlers have no fault in this, and I think I can overlook the tools. I also know Iowa has had some over the top posters in past, and probably every team has some. It's just something to try to rise above.

:lol: LOL @ your comment that "Iowa has had some over the top posters in the past," following on the heels of Iowa poster dback_5's absurd claim that "most people were booing the official and not Dake."

The fact of the matter is that the Iowa fanbase includes "a large pack of classless individuals" (as Rob Koll put it) who booed Dake's historic third title simply because their wrestler lost. Rossel3, I would suggest that, if you wish to chide "obnoxious fans," you will find far better examples among your fellow Hawkeyes than in any other program.

And, while there may very well be a few PSU fans who are overzealous in their posts, the overall fanbase has a long way to go before it even approaches the disgraceful display exhibited by the Iowa fans at the most recent NCAA Championships. (And, if they ever do, I for one will likely be switching my allegiance to another team.)

:lol: LOL @ your comment that "Iowa has had some over the top posters in the past," following on the heels of Iowa poster dback_5's absurd claim that "most people were booing the official and not Dake."

The fact of the matter is that the Iowa fanbase includes "a large pack of classless individuals" (as Rob Koll put it) who booed Dake's historic third title simply because their wrestler lost. Rossel3, I would suggest that, if you wish to chide "obnoxious fans," you will find far better examples among your fellow Hawkeyes than in any other program.

And, while there may very well be a few PSU fans who are overzealous in their posts, the overall fanbase has a long way to go before it even approaches the disgraceful display exhibited by the Iowa fans at the most recent NCAA Championships. (And, if they ever do, I for one will likely be switching my allegiance to another team.)

Thank for your prejudices. I've seen some bad behavior from every large fan base, including yours. Fact is, the Iowa fanbase is really, really large. Period. They can fill a 15,000 seat arena. As JRob says, in Iowa, wrestling is still a major sport. However, the larger the group, the more mass behaviors you get.

Back to the purpose of this thread, I think most Hawk fans like good wrestling, and both these guys are just great. Personally, I like Taylor's attitude, and I'm rooting for him, not that I'm a PSU fan at all. Any time Taylor is considered an underdog, you know the competition is gonna be tough.

But I'm rooting for funky Welch over Alton, but haven't made a choice of Bradley vs McMillen. I'll also take Delgado over Megaludis. All of these could be very exciting matches.

As an Iowa fan, and near other Iowa fans, I will say that none of us booed when Dake was appearing in the post match interview. I heard the boo's from the area were there were many Iowa fans. All it would take would be a relatively small chorus of boo's to be heard.

The audible boo's are not countered by the respectful silent. I remember hearing one person yelling profanities at McD two years ago for bouncing up and down during the national anthem, right before his match... something I've seen other wrestlers do. I don't know if he was a PSU fan, but it was one guy... I wouldn't judge all PSU fans by that one bozo.

Some of the boo'ers were defending by saying Dake was putting down St John, which he kind of did, while others have said booing started before those comments could be heard.

Regardless, any Iowa fan booing Dake for merely beating their guy would be disrespectful, imo. There are certainly worse things done by fans, but still, I don't condone it.

Dake criticizing St John, wasn't all that cool, but not a big deal for me. And whether it came before or after the boo's I honestly couldn't tell. But not unlike Askren criticizing Luedke's wrestling a few years ago. The guy is just giving his honest opinion when a mike is stuck in his face seconds after a match. Not anything I'd hold against the victor. Dake seems very spontaneous and comes across as a decent kid. I consider myself a fan.

Btw, McD could've said a similar thing about Megaludes after his match, and no doubt a few of the anti-Iowa crowd on this board would've probably boo'd him if he did. Metcalf certainly had whole threads devoted to criticizing him when he complained about Palmer's wrestling after a match. The double standards around here are plentiful.

And Hurricane, as for the past, Iowa fan Willie was who I was thinking about, when I said over the top. He's been gone for years. Most current Iowa posters on this board are civil. Your citing of Dback's comments as an example of obnoxious is lame. Do you not read Mopar? And what about PSU fan suzie, whom who wanted back after he was banned, following months of spewing garbage? Some of your own past posts crossed the line, imo, but we don't need to go there.

But ending on a brighter note, like Wire, I did enjoy your post on the "Legendary Matchups" thread about Gable v Owings. Kudo's on that!

I think Fleeger made the comment, during broadcasting, that David Taylor had entered the building on his unicorn.

Thanks.

So, then, more accurately, Taylor should be known as the rider. 8-)

There's a facebook page dedicated to this.