Sign in to follow this  
Boohawk

Legendary Matchups

Metcalf-Schlatter and there really isn't much other competition. It was the most highly anticipated HS matchup probably ever and even though Schlatter wasn't the true-frosh Schlatter when they finally met up again a couple years later into college. It was still highly anticipated. The boards were crazy their true-frosh year when they could have potentially met up at the Southern Scuffle.

The most recent hyped match I recall taking over the message boards was Steve Fittery vs David Taylor. Nobody really even talked about Adam Hall and Bubba Jenkins much.

Of course the Henricks vs Perry chatter owned the boards years ago pretty good as well.

"Metcalf-Schlatter and there really isn't much other competition. It was the

most highly anticipated HS matchup probably ever and even though Schlatter

wasn't the true-frosh Schlatter when they finally met up again a couple years

later into college. It was still highly anticipated. The boards were crazy their

true-frosh year when they could have potentially met up at the Southern

Scuffle."

Taylor V's Palmer their senior year was just as big and more epic. The atmosphere was electric in that gym.

I think Kish might have been ranked #1 when Askren wrestled up against him at national duals.

I believe he was #2 at the time. Pretty impressive. And yet I still remember threads such as "Did Askren just Kish his Hodge goodbye?" because Askren only won 4-2 or whatever it was. This was back when there were some that thought Askren's undefeated streak with a multitude of 1st period pins were the result of a weak weight and that Hendricks could bump up and beat him because of a result in high school. Good times.

later into college. It was still highly anticipated. The boards were crazy their

Scuffle."

Taylor V's Palmer their senior year was just as big and more epic. The atmosphere was electric in that gym.

I would argue that it wasn't as big and epic. Not that it wasn't a big matchup. Taylor and Palmer were not always at the same weights in high school like Schlatter and Metcalf were. Metcalf and Schlatter had so many near misses matchup wise throughout high school such as Fargo where one year they would have met up multiple times between junior duals and nationals but Schlatter broke his hand. So the anticipation was building for years waiting for them to finally cross paths.

Gable had two matches highly anticipated by fans during his senior year. The first was the last dual of the year when he wrestled senior Mike Grant of Oklahoma at 150 pounds. Gable was 24-0 at the time and had pinned all his opponents except one (who he decisioned 23-3). However, Grant had been a finalist as a sophomore and an undefeated NCAA champion as a junior. At the time, he was widely thought to be the only wrestler with a chance to end Gable's quest for an undefeated career. And Gable could have easily avoided Grant by staying at 142 pounds. However, to his credit, he took the Sooner on and won by a 9-4 decision.

Of course, Gable's most anticipated match was his final one, more so because it would have capped off an undefeated career than his opponent's abilities (according to most). However, Larry Owings was 26-1 (having lost only to Mike Grant), won the PAC-10 championship at 158 pounds, and then dropped two weight classes specifically to face Gable. Owings won the 142 pound title by a 13-11 score while Grant was warming up for his finals match at 150, which he won 6-1.

Grant was quoted by the Daily Oklahoman as saying: "Larry isn't the type to get psyched out. He'll try harder rather than be more cautious. I think that was a determining factor. I sure wouldn't want to go out there and wrestle him tonight."

Gable - 3x finalist 2x champ (Career: 94 wins, 1 loss, 71 falls)

Grant - 3x finalist 2x champ (Career: 69 wins, 4 losses, 3 ties, 17 falls)

Owings - 3x finalist 1x champ (Career: 87 wins, 4 losses, 47 falls)

Going back further - Stan Dziedzic and Carl Adams at 158 in 1972. Both defending champs. Contrasting styles - Adams explosive on his feet and Dziedzic a hammer on the mat. Dziedzic was generally favored as he was really pounding people with big scores. In the actual match Adams had two takedowns and the pivotal moment was the whistle to start the period when he was on bottom (pretty sure the second) as it was thought that once he broke you down you were in trouble. But Adams did a sit out and escaped immediately and that was it. Adams got a third takedown at the buzzer on a desperation shot. I think the final was 7-3. Then Stan beat Carl for the Olympic team ultimately. Two all-time greats.

Gable had two matches highly anticipated by fans during his senior year. The first was the last dual of the year when he wrestled senior Mike Grant of Oklahoma at 150 pounds. Gable was 24-0 at the time and had pinned all his opponents except one (who he decisioned 23-3). However, Grant had been a finalist as a sophomore and an undefeated NCAA champion as a junior. At the time, he was widely thought to be the only wrestler with a chance to end Gable's quest for an undefeated career. And Gable could have easily avoided Grant by staying at 142 pounds. However, to his credit, he took the Sooner on and won by a 9-4 decision.

Of course, Gable's most anticipated match was his final one, more so because it would have capped off an undefeated career than his opponent's abilities (according to most). However, Larry Owings was 26-1 (having lost only to Mike Grant), won the PAC-10 championship at 158 pounds, and then dropped two weight classes specifically to face Gable. Owings won the 142 pound title by a 13-11 score while Grant was warming up for his finals match at 150, which he won 6-1.

Grant was quoted by the Daily Oklahoman as saying: "Larry isn't the type to get psyched out. He'll try harder rather than be more cautious. I think that was a determining factor. I sure wouldn't want to go out there and wrestle him tonight."

Gable - 3x finalist 2x champ (Career: 94 wins, 1 loss, 71 falls)

Grant - 3x finalist 2x champ (Career: 69 wins, 4 losses, 3 ties, 17 falls)

Owings - 3x finalist 1x champ (Career: 87 wins, 4 losses, 47 falls)

THIS !!!!! EPIC!!!!

Scuffle."

Come on this was a in state HS match it was not epic on the national scene.

Old School

Mike Sheets vs Dave Schultz ( Sheets had just beaten Schultz in the Big Eight finals)

Kemp vs Ward twice ( 7 NCAA finals appearances between them)

Gene Mills vs Joe Gonzales 100-1 between them in the finals

Jason Kelber vs Terry Brands had to be big

Lewis vs Burley would have been bigger in the NCAAs, except that Lewis had just cranked and stuck Burley in the All Star meet ( two defending champs)

Lou Banach vs Bruce Baumgartner ( two future Oly gold medalists)

Lenny Zalesky vs Andre Metzger twice....Lenny had beaten Andre in both duals previously

Duane Goldman and Dan Chaid twice,,,,splitting matches

I still think that Metcalf and Caldwell was so huge

I noticed Mike Grant's name posted several times, so I thought I 'd throw in Dale Bahr vs. Mike Grant. Dale placed 2-3-1 and Grant was 2-1-1. Dale beat Grant in the dual 9-4, and pinned him in the NCAA Finals (68) off his patented sided roll to a half nelson.

Having been here for awhile, I would say the biggest match in the history of this forum (in terms of discussion, not necessarily historical importance) was Metcalf-Schlatter in 2008. This match seemed to at least come up in (if not be the subject of) every 3rd thread from the time it was announced Metcalf was coming to Iowa from Va. Tech, even after it was announced he was not allowed to wrestle the year. It might have been even more intense because of it. Then, in 2008, the match was delayed due to Schlatter's injury during the regular season, making the fervor even crazier. I think the board went down during their Big 10 Final at some point, too. It was insane amounts of discussion.

Herbert vs Askren was a legendary match up. It was not a legendary match. It was a legendary ass kicking. I was there. I was excited. My brother said Askren would work Herbert. I was like are you kidding dude? Herbert's a stud. This is gonna be epic. Turns out he was right.

Larkin vs Lawrence for the 149 title in '03.

Action packed bout. Fun to watch........10-8 score , methinks.

So, Larkin decisions Lawrence, the returning champ in the weight class. That, along with an undefeated, dominant senior season............and the Hodge goes to Larkin.

Larkin's (4 yr.) college career is a 'trivia question' sort of dealio. In that.....he finished 4,3,2,1.

Kinda cool , huh?

Yours in wrestling,

Denny

Larkin vs Lawrence for the 149 title in '03.

Action packed bout. Fun to watch........10-8 score , methinks.

So, Larkin decisions Lawrence, the returning champ in the weight class. That, along with an undefeated, dominant senior season............and the Hodge goes to Larkin.

Larkin's (4 yr.) college career is a 'trivia question' sort of dealio. In that.....he finished 4,3,2,1.

Kinda cool , huh?

Yours in wrestling,

Denny

Actually, many wrestlers have placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the NCAA tournament.