Sign in to follow this  
LoStNuMbEr

Binghamton Open

Nice win for Morgan McInstosh

Don't be surprised if he doesn't get to the finals in March. Simaz tossed him around and it was obvious he was undersized. He's ready for prime time now.

Quick thoughts on PSU results (can't speak to anything except results cause I didn't see any action)

125 Mega - had a nice run pinning and majoring through the brackets before dropping close one to #3 Garrett. I really was hoping for Mega to win that match, but not shocked that Garret got him. Garrett is obviously very good. Strikingly similar to what happened last year with loss to Zanetta. Mega will be there at NCAA's.

133 Conoway - some good results, some very good results, then the loss to #9 Grey.

133 Gulibon - Jimmy beat some overmatched kids pretty handily, but he didn't beat Conoway and then got decked in the 3rd place match vs. Alexander. Jimmy needs to not get pinned any more. Good major win vs. Harlowe.

141 Beitz - Nice tournament for Zack.

141 Zain - Wow. Could not have possibly had a better tournament. Beat the 2nd, 3rd and 4th placers. Major, Pin, beats krop, then TF over Stasenko, then pins Switzer. Great tourney.

149 James English wins into the semi's and med FF coach decision

157 Vollrath. James is holding the spot for Dylan while he rehabs that torn labrum. Went thru bracket nicely until he met Taffur who is a round of 12 type guy. Lost that one in the final 9-8.

165 Magicman - 4 first period pins and a TF. He over matches the field by a lot.

165 Garrett Hammond - took 3rd, but rec'd FF from Jake Kemerer. He still took 3rd coming all the way back in consi's after an early loss.

174 Brown, 184 Ruth, 197 McIntosh hammered all opponents. Every win was a major, TF or pin. The McIntosh result was the one we all wanted to see. Kinda knew it was coming, but the validation is nice. Majored #15 Jace Bennett 13-3 in final.

Hwt Lawson, beat Wm Smith of Rutgers ion the final.

Most disappointing result, Gulibon. Most excited to see win, Zain, then McIntosh. We all know Zain is terrific, but I did not expect him to come out and dominate like that. Morgan McIntosh I did expect to see dominate, and he did.

Vollrath loses in finals to No.14 Tafur of BU

There's hope for BU to win one bout when PSU visits to 'help' BU.

What is the insinuation with the 'help' emphasis, scribe?

Sanderson said that hopefully having the 3 time National Champs will sellout their venue and let the administration at BU know that wrestling is viable.

He elected to forego a money making venture for his program (NLO) with hopes of assisting one that has been told they will be discontinued.

125 Mega - had a nice run pinning and majoring through the brackets before dropping close one to #3 Garrett. I really was hoping for Mega to win that match, but not shocked that Garret got him. Garrett is obviously very good. Strikingly similar to what happened last year with loss to Zanetta. Mega will be there at NCAA's.

How was Megaludis' loss "strikingly similar" to his Zanetta loss?

I am struggling to see how blanking (very real possibility) a team on the edge of getting cut is going to help the program.

Carl Adams called Sanderson.

Sanderson asked him what he could do to help.

Adams said come wrestle us at BU.

Sanderson said ok. The NLO was not scheduled for a particular date at the time so they chose not to have it and use the competition date to wrestle BU.

Maybe Coach Adams sees something and someway in having the defending National Champs wrestle in his gym can help that you're missing.

Time to put in a stick of that "Big Red" and Chew Chew Chew...I realize that when you take(Finals) 165-285 with Pin, Pin, Pin(1st period no less), MD and Dec against the best the "Flat Landers" have to offer it could be lack of competition or...

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

I am struggling to see how blanking (very real possibility) a team on the edge of getting cut is going to help the program.

They should be available for the "Southern Scuffle" and in Carver Hawkeye arena if...I think Cornell is wrestling @ the scuffle...

P.S. Hats off to the Veterans "Past and Present"!!!

Sorry if I missed it...Where are the Altons?

I got a nice PSU run down from 165-HWT from Mops but he failed to mention 125 or 133. I'll let him off the hook at 149 and 157 cause everyone on the planet knows they'll get no shot to be starters when it counts, but come on bro, tell me all about what happened at 125 and 133. I like that "Big Red" 125 pounder. He likes to Mega chew Big Red it seems. At least give me a run down of Gulibon. Think he gets to start over Conaway after a 4th place showing!!?? I didn't get to see the action so I need someone to tell me what happened. Please!!??

I got a nice PSU run down from 165-HWT from Mops but he failed to mention 125 or 133. I'll let him off the hook at 149 and 157 cause everyone on the planet knows they'll get no shot to be starters when it counts, but come on bro, tell me all about what happened at 125 and 133. I like that "Big Red" 125 pounder. He likes to Mega chew Big Red it seems. At least give me a run down of Gulibon. Think he gets to start over Conaway after a 4th place showing!!?? I didn't get to see the action so I need someone to tell me what happened. Please!!??

I will try to give you the lowdown as well as answer the other guy's q as to what makes Mega's loss to Garrett similar to his loss to Zanetta at last year's NLO. 1st Mega's loss is simply an early season issue.....has been part of Mega's makeup since his freshman year.......can't have him peak in Nov!! He will have another shot at Garrett in Jan.

Gulibon and Conway will in all likelihood share the starting role till after the Scuffle. Like most programs today, the starter will be determined by their work in the room and against outside competition. Gulibon's fixation with counting lights is a concern........may cost him/us unreasonable losses and could eventually cost him a spot.

All said it was a great first outing with points to be corrected.

BDB-That was a good response that didn't look like it came from blue and white colored glasses. I can respect that. Anyone who wrestled knows that lineups aren't set in stone in November. I just think PSU has a unique position to have three guys who may very well EARN a spot in the lineup and get what CAEL called a coaches decision. One guy is understandable and happens to a lot of teams every year. I struggle to remember a case where three guys on one team may, and probably will, get hosed. I generally feel bad for guys in this situation but if these kids keep going to PSU and taking less money and not starting 4 years when they could have elsewhere for more money then it's hard to feel bad for them.

I should add this is not unique to PSU. This was the case for Iowa and Gable for a long time. All I'm saying is 4 year starter for more money vs less than 4 year starter for less money. That is a personal decision but don't expect sympathy when you're coach says thanks for the effort and I now you're a senior but I've got a set of twins here I've got a good feeling about despite a history of inconsistency.

That and one of them has a win over Graff. Conaway should start at least until scuffle.