Sign in to follow this  
LoStNuMbEr

Binghamton Open

To be fair I don't know how Taylor, Brown, and Ruth couldn't have looked good. As far as Retherford is concerned I expected this. Not that he saw the greatest competition in the world but I believe he's going to be a stud. As an Iowa fan I hope Cael goes with Beitz. As a wrestling fan I think it's a no brainer he goes with Retherford. Answer me this PSU fans. How do you feel about a lineup at the Big 10 tourney with Conaway, Beitz, English, and Vollrath? Do you wake up screaming in the night? Do you think you'd still win it all?

To be fair I don't know how Taylor, Brown, and Ruth couldn't have looked good. As far as Retherford is concerned I expected this. Not that he saw the greatest competition in the world but I believe he's going to be a stud. As an Iowa fan I hope Cael goes with Beitz. As a wrestling fan I think it's a no brainer he goes with Retherford. Answer me this PSU fans. How do you feel about a lineup at the Big 10 tourney with Conaway, Beitz, English, and Vollrath? Do you wake up screaming in the night? Do you think you'd still win it all?

Actually they can.

They did it last year with 5 guys.

Yesterday I watched 70 team points at NCAA's wrestle in less than 5 minutes in three guys.

Put McIntosh in, Nico could foreseeably win it, and a few wins out of Lawson and they are right back where they were last year.

Lord-You're no fun! But I agree with you 100%. I just think a lineup with Conaway, Beitz, English, and Vollrath would open up a door that may not be there with Gulibon, Retherford, Andrew, and Dylan. Obviously Taylor and Ruth are sure points but it's possible and dare I say likely that Nico loses one match, 174 is so deep Brown could place low (or win it all), while I tend to think McIntosh will finish very high it's possible he finishes very low in a wide open weight class, and Lawson could finish high or dnp at HWT. All I'm saying is the lesser lineup would possibly open a door for Iowa or Minne that I really don't think is there at the moment.

The thing is that I'm not so sure Guillbon is the anointed one as many have predicted. Conaway is better in close matches and did make the round of 12 last year. Aside from the obvious head to head yesterday Guillbon may need a bit more development.

For PSU fans to put him on the podium already is pretty ballsy and proves the myopathy we all disdain. Tough to really tell on Retherford yesterday without any real top flight competition. He sure looks pretty darn good.

How high can McIntosh go?? Have to measure him against a Big 10 197'er. I am not a believer in Lawson yet either.

It is going to take a meltdown by PSU and perfect day by one other contender for them to fall short.

Why I'm taking this time to respond is something I will wake up screaming in the night...Mega will be a factor @ 125 which leads to 133(Nice problem to have)...Mr. Retherford needs to be employed...149 the Alton's wrestle off(Loser gets another year of eligibility) and then challenge for the spot with Mr. English...Mr. Vollrath will handle DSJ if he can compete...Lights out after that and awesome "Jimmy Lawson" will only improve!!!

P.S. Enjoy your day!!!

I peaked over at the PSU forum, and noticed one guy who said the only bright spot for PSU at this Open was Retherford.

That was me, Scribe, and you are being a bit disingenuous. I did post immediately below that that McIntosh was a real positive, but I forgot to include him in the previous post.

Besides Retherford and McIntosh, everyone else performed pretty much as expected with the disappointment being that there was not much improvement to be seen at 133 and 285.

BDB-That was a good response that didn't look like it came from blue and white colored glasses. I can respect that. Anyone who wrestled knows that lineups aren't set in stone in November. I just think PSU has a unique position to have three guys who may very well EARN a spot in the lineup and get what CAEL called a coaches decision. One guy is understandable and happens to a lot of teams every year. I struggle to remember a case where three guys on one team may, and probably will, get hosed. I generally feel bad for guys in this situation but if these kids keep going to PSU and taking less money and not starting 4 years when they could have elsewhere for more money then it's hard to feel bad for them.

I should add this is not unique to PSU. This was the case for Iowa and Gable for a long time. All I'm saying is 4 year starter for more money vs less than 4 year starter for less money. That is a personal decision but don't expect sympathy when you're coach says thanks for the effort and I now you're a senior but I've got a set of twins here I've got a good feeling about despite a history of inconsistency.

My problem with this statement (and about 3 or 4 others you have posted with the same theme) is why do you expect these guys to get "coach's decisioned" or not treated fairly.

In regards to the history at 149 and 157 last year when both the twins were suspended:

157 - Vollrath did have the win over Dieringer, but also had 3 losses to guys (Winston, Busler, Shanaman) who were not close to AA and another to Moore who was low AA. Dylan Alton - who had finished 3rd the year before - was forced to wrestle off for his position after suspension.

149 - English performed admirably in A Altons absence with a win over Houdashelt but also lost to Gus Sako (who Alton pinned twice), and Colt Schmitt (7-9) last year as well as Oliver and Loupchanski. Andrew Alton - who had made R12 before a RS season and was a prolific bonus point scorer - also was forced to wrestle off for his position after suspension.

285 was the only really instance that you could say someone was "coach's decisioned" where Lawson was awarded the spot after he and Gingrich had amazingly similar results - both losing pretty much to every top guy except for one good win (Cooper-Lawson, McClure-Gingrich). Even the manner of losing for each was remarkably similar. Lawson outplaced Gingrich at the tournaments, but mostly because of good bracketing. Gingrich defeated Lawson in two of the three reported wrestleoffs in the early season - all of the matches by the slimmest of margins.

They shared the spot for the season and a decision was made for the postseason.

Lawson was widely regarded as the guy with the most potential given he was just coming back to wrestling after 2 years and was already on equal footing with Gingrich. Very difficult call to make, they went with Lawson. Probably still a difficult decision this year, but with the tournament win over Smith yesterday, I guess Lawson has a leg up.

If Vollrath and English prove to be AA caliber in the next month or so (something that did not happen yesterday at the Binghamton Open), I would guess that the Altons will have to prove they are 100% back and ready to place high on the podium before they get the spots back. If they don't prove to be AA caliber, I would guess that the Altons will get a crack to show that they are ready immediately. I would think that that is fair.

285 will be an ongoing merry-go-round until somebody separates. I guess you could say Lawson did that yesterday, but not really. More of the same to me.

133 Conaway has proven to be a solid guy who has yet to beat any AA caliber guys and struggles to bonus. Gulibon (with the exception of his wins over Grey) has pretty much proven to be the same, but can bonus. I would imagine that they will both get cracks at the lineup until one proves himself with a signature win. If they both continue to perform at a 10-20 level, they will probably go with the guy who can score more bonus at NCAAs.

I'm not sure how any of the above would constitute unfair treatment or being "coach's decisioned" in a negative manner.

Conaway, English and Vollrath are all capable starters. I think at least 1 out of the 3 would AA. Z.Beitz would be a .500 guy if he started right now. If he made nationals he'd be doing well to win a match.

Anyone besides the nut job want to make a friendly wager or sig bet on Vollrath handling DSJ? I'm taking all bets on that one. Too funny!

By handle, do you mean lose by a decision? I could be convinced to take that bet. I don't see Vollrath beating DSJ.

Anyone besides the nut job want to make a friendly wager or sig bet on Vollrath handling DSJ? I'm taking all bets on that one. Too funny!

By handle, do you mean lose by a decision? I could be convinced to take that bet. I don't see Vollrath beating DSJ.

Yes, that is what he meant.

Check out some of the matches here:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... pen/videos

MacIntosh is noticeably bigger. As a '97, kinds of reminds me build-wise of Iowa State's Zach Thompson of some years ago.

Retherford does not wrestle like a freshman out there. Totally in control.

McIntosh reminds me of Robert Newhouse.

MacIntosh is noticeably bigger. As a '97, kinds of reminds me build-wise of Iowa State's Zach Thompson of some years ago.

Even better! Now, that's a blast from the past. Blocked for Touchdown Tony Dorsett.

Even better! Now, that's a blast from the past. Blocked for Touchdown Tony Dorsett.

Yeah, showing my age with that reference. Fortunately I'm not old enough that their thighs are still not just a little bit bigger than my waist.

BDB-That was a good response that didn't look like it came from blue and white colored glasses. I can respect that. Anyone who wrestled knows that lineups aren't set in stone in November. I just think PSU has a unique position to have three guys who may very well EARN a spot in the lineup and get what CAEL called a coaches decision. One guy is understandable and happens to a lot of teams every year. I struggle to remember a case where three guys on one team may, and probably will, get hosed. I generally feel bad for guys in this situation but if these kids keep going to PSU and taking less money and not starting 4 years when they could have elsewhere for more money then it's hard to feel bad for them.

I should add this is not unique to PSU. This was the case for Iowa and Gable for a long time. All I'm saying is 4 year starter for more money vs less than 4 year starter for less money. That is a personal decision but don't expect sympathy when you're coach says thanks for the effort and I now you're a senior but I've got a set of twins here I've got a good feeling about despite a history of inconsistency.

I don't think if 3 spots in our lineup come down to "a coaches decision" is anymore than a statement of the quality of competition in the room! Certainly not a bad thing as most programs would love to have that problem.

As I look a it there actually may be 4 that the coaches have to weigh in on. I feel 2 have shown what they are capable of and unless there is significant deficiencies on their part you are right on them being there in March. The other two are a different issue and I feel the leading contender in each case has more scoring potential and if upcoming results don't show that then that is going to be a tough call. That's why they pay Cael the big $s.