Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

I really enjoyed the Anthony Ashnault era

Criticism of the Rutgers Coaching staff is warranted but I do think that it comes down to NJ fans who think some of their NJ kids are blue chip recruits when in reality, they aren't. I can't hold Mason against Goodale so in reality, he has had what... 2 blue chip recruits(Winston and Ashnault). It is much too early to fault Ashnault for one tournament and obviously Winston was a disapointment but I can point to alot of other programs where they have had failure in blue chip recruits(Cornell...Villalonga, Peppleman, OK State Kindig, and others). The thing about these other programs are they bring so much talent in that some of their other blue chips do pan out so the focus isn't put on their failures.

Also keep in mind that we really shouldn't compare Rutgers with the likes of the powers(PSU, Cornell, Iowa, Ok State) because where Rutgers has Goodale and Molinaro, these other programs have 5-10 coaches working with the team. You can never underestimate that and if Goodale had money to bring in 3 coaches like Molinaro their kids would get better.

With all that said, I liked what I saw out of Rutgers in Binghamton. Delvecchio looked good as did their 157 pounder, Visicaro looked pretty good, Backukis looked solid as did many of their other kids. I think you will see improvements this year. Possibly they needed to get rid of the Mason's and Winstons to move forward.

November on The Mat forum...... the 4 timers who might go undefeated, so many 'where did he come' types, so many upsets early on where the stud gets beat by "who was that", blue chippers who pull off that magical win, and so many instant flame outs....

In November.

By late January, as usual, things will have sorted themselves out after the blue chips - who will do well down the road - get scouted and the grind gets to them. The shooting stars don't sneak up on anyone. And the studs who are cruising at the moment (knowing it is a meat grinder marathon) work into form.

sgallan speaks!

It is like a November passage of time, closing in on Thanksgiving as a tradition. ;)

Criticism of the Rutgers Coaching staff is warranted

Also keep in mind that we really shouldn't compare Rutgers with the likes of the powers(PSU, Cornell, Iowa, Ok State) because where Rutgers has Goodale and Molinaro, these other programs have 5-10 coaches working with the team. You can never underestimate that and if Goodale had money to bring in 3 coaches like Molinaro their kids would get better.

That's a bunch of crap. Compare the number of AA's from Edinboro, a DII school with 5.5 scholarships to the number from Rutgers. I posted after Dapper Dan that if Ashnault does not AA at least a couple times then the Rutgers coaching staff should be fired or step down.

Also, this post is not intended as a slam on Ashnault. I am not really a fan of these threads that call out a college kid. The kid is talented, we will see if he made the right choice in schools.

I agree with you but you are picking out one coach who is exceptional. I don't think anyone does a better job than Flynn with what he has. To further my point, if you compare Edinboro with PSU, Cornell, etc they will pale in comparison with production of AA but it's not because Flynn doesn't maximize his kids potential, just that they don't get the same blue chip recruits.

Funny you mentioned Edinboro because I was actually going to point out what a great job he does there. However, most schools are going to be at a disadvantage when you compare them with the top 5 teams. Do I think Goodale needs to produce some AA? Absolutely. However, you still have to look at his talent and realize it's not as good as the Rutgers Fans/Nj fans think it is.

I'm OK with the whole "Era" joke when it is added as levity. When some jackass decides that here is his chance to rip on a kid at his first tournament then it is just ignorant.

Rutgers fans in general are very realistic. We have very good high School wrestling, behind only PA, and our state champs are pretty credible. The real strength, similar to Pa., Ohio, and Cali to name 3, is when you get to the top 10-20 kids. All very tough and could be contenders in most any other state.

The reasons that Scott Winston didn't get it done are up for debate - injuries, breadth of technical skills, desire, what have you. To put that on the coaches entirely is unfair it seems to me. The number of guys who look like they'll tear it up but don't (Tim Darling? among innumerable others) is substantial. Only a simpleton would ascribe the same root cause, poor coaching, to each.

I'm more surprised at Visicaro's lack of progression than anyone else on the team. He is massively strong and was always excellent in neutral. Like anything else it is the day to day partners that make you better. Rutgers needs to get deeper to be able to provide these partners and additional coaches. Rome wasn't built in a day. The average NJ fan realizes that.

TFBJR, I royally understand that kids get hurt, lose desire etc...has happen to many blue chippers. From every school including PennState, Iowa, OkState....and Rutgers. Even a blind squirell finds a nut sometimes. The difference is that most schools are still able to produce a few AA's every year or so. Not the case at Rutgers.

Edinboro is not the only DII school that outperforms Rutgers. (Rutgers and many other DI schools)

Most are able to produce a few AA's every year or so? There are only 66 schools competing, 80 AA's available, and almost 60% of those taken up by the Top 10 schools every year. It's a pretty tight bell curve.

Edinboro has a great tradition. What about Indiana, Michigan State, Army, NC State, American, Duke, Drexel, Bucknell, etc. Cherry picking is easy. Historically RU has not been a big wrestling school. Rutgers started with nothing in the cupboards when the new regime took over. Sometimes it takes a few cycles to get it done, especially when you make a choice to go with a coach up from the High School ranks. Often times it doesn't happen. Hopefully it will at Rutgers because they bring a lot to the table, including a great fan base, and the best free wrestling broadcasts in the country.

Just because our major loudmouths put NJ, RU, etc. in their screen names doesn't mean we are all delirious. It also shouldn't turn everyone off to the opportunities, and good competitive sportsmanship that comes from a solid program like Rutgers.

Can and should Rutgers do better - sure, but if Ashnault gets hurt, grows past his effective weight, loses interest, etc. then the RU coaching staff should step down? That is typical forum nonsense. What is the criteria everyone here has established on when they should step down in their own jobs? Mine is never, unless I get a better job. I need the money.

And so it's back to work I go. Cheers.

Criticism of the Rutgers Coaching staff is warranted but I do think that it comes down to NJ fans who think some of their NJ kids are blue chip recruits when in reality, they aren't. I can't hold Mason against Goodale so in reality, he has had what... 2 blue chip recruits(Winston and Ashnault). It is much too early to fault Ashnault for one tournament and obviously Winston was a disapointment but I can point to alot of other programs where they have had failure in blue chip recruits(Cornell...Villalonga, Peppleman, OK State Kindig, and others). The thing about these other programs are they bring so much talent in that some of their other blue chips do pan out so the focus isn't put on their failures.

With all that said, I liked what I saw out of Rutgers in Binghamton. Delvecchio looked good as did their 157 pounder, Visicaro looked pretty good, Backukis looked solid as did many of their other kids. I think you will see improvements this year. Possibly they needed to get rid of the Mason's and Winstons to move forward.

I don't consider any kid on the RU roster, sans Ashnault, a true "blue chip' recruit. Most of the guys I know who coach in the area would agree. RU loses some tough kids to out of state programs every year, kids that leave and do very well. Take a look at the number of NJ kids who did well at the Bing Open, or Hokie Open. There are NJ kids performing well, in some cases well beyond expectations. If you gave the Rider staff Rutgers' budget, they'd destroy Rutgers. As it stands, I would bet the kid Clagon ends up having a better career than any of the Rutgers freshmen, assuming he keeps his head on straight.

NJWC, I agree about Rider. How much more overlooked can a program be? In recent memory, they almost had 2 finalists!!!! (Umbeheuer and Fish). But you only see rutgers wrestling shirts, even in south jersey

Tyler Walsh's brother is Rider bound too.

I do think Ashnault will be good and I'm surprised anyone cares about red shirters in a open tournaments,

NJWC, I agree about Rider. How much more overlooked can a program be? In recent memory, they almost had 2 finalists!!!! (Umbeheuer and Fish). But you only see rutgers wrestling shirts, even in south jersey

I do think Ashnault will be good and I'm surprised anyone cares about red shirters in a open tournaments,

Chad Walsh just won the Hokie Open in his first collegiate event.

way too much critisizm of rutgers and their coaches. for the most part they are getting NJ/ny metro area kids.

one point made about the number of coaches was right on point. when you have 5 coaches that allows you to have private drill sessions at least 1-2 times a week for all your top 20 wrestlers on the team. that is in addition to practice 6x, running 4-5x and wt training 2x. with two coaches you have to hope your wrestlers

are doing on their own the private lessons.

the 157 lber is perotti last person to defeat bj clagon in HS. he should absolutely be an NCAA qualifier.

also possible ashnault should be up at 149 bigger and stronger than at 141, he was a huge 138lb last year in hs. dippery also could be cutting too much weight.

way too much critisizm of rutgers and their coaches. for the most part they are getting NJ/ny metro area kids.

one point made about the number of coaches was right on point. when you have 5 coaches that allows you to have private drill sessions at least 1-2 times a week for all your top 20 wrestlers on the team. that is in addition to practice 6x, running 4-5x and wt training 2x. with two coaches you have to hope your wrestlers

are doing on their own the private lessons.

the 157 lber is perotti last person to defeat bj clagon in HS. he should absolutely be an NCAA qualifier.

also possible ashnault should be up at 149 bigger and stronger than at 141, he was a huge 138lb last year in hs. dippery also could be cutting too much weight.

Disagree that the RU staff gets too much criticism. The results are the results. They're taking multiple time NJ state champs, and turning them into guys you hope maybe win a match at NCAAs, if they get there. I don't mean 1-2 kids like that, I mean many kids like that. They had a recruiting class that was rated #2 in the nation 6 years ago, and produced 0 AAs from that class. I know many of the kids that have gone through that program, and I didn't see an ounce of technical improvement from them, and in many cases I saw regression.

I'll say it again, if the Rider staff had the recruits that Rutgers has had over the past 5-7 years, they'd have produced multiple AA seasons.

I definitely would say that Goodale needs to be accountable for his lack of AA's. He's been there long enough to produce. The Rider statement is an interesting one. You have one program that is basically unknown and not marketed vs the other program that does a great job of marketing its program, matches, etc. If you just want AA's then Rider would be the choice but if you want exposure and some income, Goodale has done an excellent job of making Rutgers the face of NJ college wrestling. Attend the state tournament and look at how many Rutgers wrestling shirts you will see vs Rider shirts.

NJWC, you say that you guys don't overestimate the potential of your guys but then you comment on how many NJ kids are lucky to win a match at NCAA"s? A state title does not guarantee success at the DI level so I think that you also have to look at the kids that Goodale is recruiting. Again, other than Ashnault, in the last 4 years, who has been your best recruit, Visicaro? He was good in NJ but was not dominant in the high school scene. I remember him being handled easily by a few other kids from other states. So therefore, even though he won two state titles in NJ, would he have won them in other states?

I like the current RU squad better than previous ones. Unlike what a few posters believe, I am confident that Molinaro will make a difference in the room in terms of pace and attacking. He has the young guy's attention.....unlike the graduated seniors who considered him a peer. Look for a more exciting,high pace style from RU vs. their past tight, brutal 3-2 3rd period..... backing up...injury time out...head gear adjustment...one eye on the clock, style.

Pennsy.... you mention Visicaro.... gotta say...he may surprise some people ...perfect guy for Molinaro to develop....tough attitude...nice pace ...wrestles going forward. But as you know.....our sport is built upon the March podium and until RU delivers AA's- the staff will continue to catch some heat.

I definitely would say that Goodale needs to be accountable for his lack of AA's. He's been there long enough to produce. The Rider statement is an interesting one. You have one program that is basically unknown and not marketed vs the other program that does a great job of marketing its program, matches, etc. If you just want AA's then Rider would be the choice but if you want exposure and some income, Goodale has done an excellent job of making Rutgers the face of NJ college wrestling. Attend the state tournament and look at how many Rutgers wrestling shirts you will see vs Rider shirts.

NJWC, you say that you guys don't overestimate the potential of your guys but then you comment on how many NJ kids are lucky to win a match at NCAA"s? A state title does not guarantee success at the DI level so I think that you also have to look at the kids that Goodale is recruiting. Again, other than Ashnault, in the last 4 years, who has been your best recruit, Visicaro? He was good in NJ but was not dominant in the high school scene. I remember him being handled easily by a few other kids from other states. So therefore, even though he won two state titles in NJ, would he have won them in other states?

Pennsy, I know all about D1 wrestling. I also realize being a state champ means nothing once you're in the room. That said, RU must have at least 8-10 guys that came through the room the past 6 years or so that were deemed top ten in the nation at their weight class. Surely SOME of those guys should have developed into more of a low NQ guy, who you hope catches a good draw and sneaks onto the podium. You also undersell Visicaro coming out of school he was a top five guy at his weight, no? Didn't he give Peppelman a decent match, when Peppelman was considered better than the Altons?

Rutgers has 1 NY and 3 PA wrestlers on their roster.

They are in the top 5 for having the fewest out-of-state guys on their team.

Import some outside the NJ border talent. Rutgers is one of the top public universities in the country with a wrestling program, they shouldn't have problems attracting good student-athletes that can wrestle.

Rutgers has 1 NY and 3 PA wrestlers on their roster.

They are in the top 5 for having the fewest out-of-state guys on their team.

Import some outside the NJ border talent. Rutgers is one of the top public universities in the country with a wrestling program, they shouldn't have problems attracting good student-athletes that can wrestle.

And one from Florida, one from Illinois, and one from Ohio.

SHP - those states are all a little further away from NJ than both NY and PA.

And with the others they're still in the top 5 with the fewest out-of-state wrestlers.

Bakersfield leads the way with a total of ONE wrestler from outside their home state.

Congrats Rutgers, it made a list with CSUB...

I misunderstood what you were saying...I thought you were suggesting that they didn't have any wrestlers from beyond the border states, rather than just states bordering New Jersey.

I wouldn't be surprised to see most (or at least many) schools with most of their roster from inside their home states, in fact, I know in many cases the wrestling teams lead the entire athletic departments in in-state athletes. This should be a badge of honor, not a source of ridicule.

NJWC I don't follow real close but who are the all the Jersey kids that have come to Rutgers that you are so convinced should've been an AA by now? I have said that I think visicaro "could" AA but certainly you can't really think he is a cant miss. I don't remember who vis lost to in HS but I believe he lost to both Hess and peppleman(aaa and AA champs). Neither one of those two have been an AA yet? If you know DI then you know that qualifying for NCAA 's is difficult enough let alone making top 8.

Now you can make an argument that he should have some AA 's in his time there but again, goodale is not bringing in a lot of guys who are "cant miss" recruits, IMO .

Chad Walsh just won the Hokie Open in his first collegiate event.

Nice! I hope he does well.