Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

NCWA Optional Dual Scoring

Agree with MSU 158 and others. This is not a well thought out idea.

Incidentally, I'm all for change. I wouldn't flinch if college switched to freestyle or got rid of riding time or gave more points for finished leg attack takedowns than missed headlocks. But this change is silly.

As far as building fan base goes, I said this recently and will repeat it. We need to find a way to engage ex-high school wrestlers. It's a huge group and they do not pay attention to wrestling. Get them to follow the college sport and we'll have a much bigger fan base.

I can see the points from the other side, but as the system sits now, it's basically all about 1 or 2 matches. If you win the swing match, you win the dual. There is very little excitement in the outcome of the majority of bouts. Why? Because the better wrestler on paper usually wins by decision or major decision, 3 or 4 points.

With a system that rewards match points, you have a much greater variety of dual outcomes, making each match that much more relevant to the dual score.

I'm not 100% sold on this way of doing it, I just think the current system provides very little drama and very few ways for a dual to play out. With many of our best duals, you know the 1 or 2 matches that will decide the outcome and it rarely deviates. That's not good for the sport.

I could see having a win worth a minimum number of points. But the idea here is to make each point for margin of victory matter, not have arbitrary cutoffs like 8 and 15 points.

I can see the points from the other side, but as the system sits now, it's basically all about 1 or 2 matches. If you win the swing match, you win the dual. There is very little excitement in the outcome of the majority of bouts. Why? Because the better wrestler on paper usually wins by decision or major decision, 3 or 4 points.

With a system that rewards match points, you have a much greater variety of dual outcomes, making each match that much more relevant to the dual score.

I'm not 100% sold on this way of doing it, I just think the current system provides very little drama and very few ways for a dual to play out. With many of our best duals, you know the 1 or 2 matches that will decide the outcome and it rarely deviates. That's not good for the sport.

I could see having a win worth a minimum number of points. But the idea here is to make each point for margin of victory matter, not have arbitrary cutoffs like 8 and 15 points.

I respect your opinions due to your considerable experience and genuine proactive approach to the betterment of College Wrestling. I truly think some changes need to be made to make the sport more fan friendly. I just see to many holes in this for any team to risk adapting the system. Maybe someone could do a trial run where a subset of schools run duals in both formats and the data can be collected to see how the system works and come up with ideas to tweak the system as necessary? Keep the ideas coming and I think something will inevitably come about to improve things.

I realize many will disagree but wrestling is an individual rather than a team sport. The duals and particularly the coaching of them often do terrific damage, by asking guys not to be MD or TF by using tactics that skirt the intent of the rules. or avoiding matches where the outcome has already been decided. Better remedies would be for the cowards in NCAA and at the U's to place heavy sanctions on coaches who try to win by telling their charges to employ stalling or avoiding tactics or avoid wrestling desired match-ups. In many cases these tactics are so obvious it is painful. The only part of the idea proposed that I like is the large penalty for not competing.

One obvious issue is that blowout matches would result in TF instead of falls. Most think falls are the highlight of wrestling matches.

Despite my Cornell vs Harvard example, Pinnum and a few others have convinced me that the NCWA optional dual scoring is probably a good thing because it makes duals more exciting. I'm all for that!

I wonder how if would work out if tournaments used the exact same scoring system?