Sign in to follow this  
rickybobby

Matt Brown - Mr. Nasty

In a weight class full of big nasties, I think Matt Brown takes the cake. I enjoyed this so much, I had to share. Don't know how anyone can not enjoy this from start to finish unless you are a Big Red fan.

Binghamton Open finals:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251170-2013-Binghamton-Open/video/724113-174-final-Matt-Brown-PSU-vs-Owen-Scott-Cornell

Plus the guy won the national ROTC fitness competition this offseason or something like that. And has like a 3.9 GPA and is married. You got to love the guy, even if you hate Penn State.

Are you guys talking about when wrestling inferior competition? I didn't think Brown looked nasty at all against Chris Perry. Just looking for clarification. If you mean when beating up guys not 1/10th as good then yeah I agree. David Taylor does that too. Not so nasty against Dake and Bubba. I guess it just depends on your perspective.

Husky, I agree. I didn't mean this one as a backhanded compliment. I was just wondering. I don't think anything I said was inaccurate. When they wrestle guys not nearly as good as they are they are nasty as heck. When they wrestle good guys I don't see the same nastiness. I was just looking for clarification so I'd know whether to disagree or not if my observations weren't made clear.

Also, Husky, you didn't address Brown, only Taylor. The OP was talking about Brown. I brought up Taylor and not to get too far off track here but you kind of have to go back to DT's freshman year because he hasn't exactly seen the best competition. Not that it's his fault. All I can remember are DSJ (this is by far Taylor's best win), Evans, Kokesh, Caldwell, and maybe Fittery? 5 dudes? I'm a huge fan of Evans and Kokesh but only DSJ would I call borderline elite, but how far down the list would you guys have DSJ on your p4p rankings? Am I missing anyone else good Taylor has wrestled? I don't mean this as an insult either I'm just trying to state straight facts here. So yeah you have to go back to damn near his freshman year to find a decent guy he's seen he didn't lose to. All you PSU guys can feel free to tell me where I'm wrong on this, I'm all ears.

Are you guys talking about when wrestling inferior competition? I didn't think Brown looked nasty at all against Chris Perry. Just looking for clarification. If you mean when beating up guys not 1/10th as good then yeah I agree. David Taylor does that too. Not so nasty against Dake and Bubba. I guess it just depends on your perspective.

This argument applies to pretty much everyone.

I would consider Ramos to be as nasty, p4p as anyone out there...except when he loses to Stieber. Then he just becomes angry.

Interesting thing about Brown.

He lost to Kokesh, Storley, Evens and Heflin last year prior to Big 10's and NCAAs.

He beat each of those the next time he wrestled them (he didn't face Kokesh again). He beat Heflin 7-1 and dumped Evans to his back in their re-match securing that win in the Big 10 finals. Had he lost to Storley at NCAAs, OK State or Minnie may have won (as placing 3rd was no guarantee - he would have had Heflin in the consi semis).

Back on point: Brown only wrestled Perry once (loss - NCAA finals). He lost to Howe the one time he wrestled him (All Star exhibition) in a very close match.

He has just as good a chance of winning any rematch as he does of losing.

Regarding Gonzo's comment(s) on Taylor, It's too bad for every other team that competes in the NCAA tournament that Taylor is the only one that wrestles inferior opponents. Funny thing about him is that he's wrestled to his seed twice. The one time he didn't is when he was a 3 seed - and he finished 2nd.

dsauer-If you're right then I see no point in making this a topic in the first place. Do you? I suppose if you're into torching inferior competition. That bores me whether it's Tony Ramos doing it or Matt Brown.

oldmarine-I don't feel like arguing tonight man. Maybe tomorrow to pass some time at work. Just don't put words in my mouth and respond to the argument I stated with a counter argument. Telling me Iowa doesn't wrestle anyone good doesn't make David Taylor's competition any better. That's what Tigs can't wrap his mind around. I have high hopes for you OMW, don't let me down.

P.S.-I have a friend who is big on the wrestling to your seed thing as well. I, personally, don't care one bit about seeds or wrestling to it. It's an arbitrary number that a committee assigned to someone. It means nothing....to me.

Maybe we were watching different matches but I saw a match with Howe where the rematch only becomes more lopsided for Howe. Brown was nowhere near a TD and Howe looked like a guy who had been away from folkstyle for over 2 years but still getting the win. I would pick Perry to win the rematch as well but that's more of a toss up.

Gonzo....I didnt make the topic. And no, i dont really feel it was necessary. You just seem to like to take cracks at PSU guys all the time, so I made a smart ass comment about an Iowa guy. Top level guys are going to torch inferior talent. They should. Doesnt make it terribly exciting....it's just the way it is. I think Brown was as physical as he could be against Howe. Just that Howe is more physical and beat Brown at his own game.

I know you didn't make the topic. And I wasn't taking cracks here. Hopefully when I'm trying to take cracks it's obvious, I mean for it to be obvious. I was being serious here that's why I listed the guys I can remember that Taylor has wrestled who were/are half a** good. If I forgot anyone or if anyone thinks that makes it so Taylor has seen and beat good competition over his four years, like I said, I'm all ears. Please, tell me why I'm wrong. This is not a shot at Taylor, it's just the facts.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-w ... sched.html

P.S. Tough to get intel when you don't wrestle...I'm sure they're tough as nails!!!

Interesting thing about Brown.

He lost to Kokesh, Storley, Evens and Heflin last year prior to Big 10's and NCAAs.

He beat each of those the next time he wrestled them (he didn't face Kokesh again). He beat Heflin 7-1 and dumped Evans to his back in their re-match securing that win in the Big 10 finals. Had he lost to Storley at NCAAs, OK State or Minnie may have won (as placing 3rd was no guarantee - he would have had Heflin in the consi semis).

Back on point: Brown only wrestled Perry once (loss - NCAA finals). He lost to Howe the one time he wrestled him (All Star exhibition) in a very close match.

He has just as good a chance of winning any rematch as he does of losing.

Regarding Gonzo's comment(s) on Taylor, It's too bad for every other team that competes in the NCAA tournament that Taylor is the only one that wrestles inferior opponents. Funny thing about him is that he's wrestled to his seed twice. The one time he didn't is when he was a 3 seed - and he finished 2nd.

I know you didn't make the topic. And I wasn't taking cracks here. Hopefully when I'm trying to take cracks it's obvious, I mean for it to be obvious. I was being serious here that's why I listed the guys I can remember that Taylor has wrestled who were/are half a** good. If I forgot anyone or if anyone thinks that makes it so Taylor has seen and beat good competition over his four years, like I said, I'm all ears. Please, tell me why I'm wrong. This is not a shot at Taylor, it's just the facts.

You listed Evans - as of now, Hatchett (tech in the NCAA finals) and Yates (pin in the '13 semis) are better wins for Taylor. Both of those guys are multi-time AAs.

I never made any reference to talent in the above post. I was merely posting this as an example of some great physical wrestling the most of us on here love. In regards to your reference to Taylor, there is a video of him defeating an inferior opponent on the same page as the Brown video. He dominates him physically, but the effect is nowhere as near visceral as the Brown match.

The turk at 1:05 and the ending sequence, as well as the heavy hands throughout, are great examples of physical wrestling. And his opponent, while not elite, had a nice tournament until he reached the finals.

CTM - Iowa has a pretty tough schedule.

They have their normal B10 duals, as well as Penn State - who they have beaten 2 out of the past 3 during PSU's run of National Championships - and they wrestle OK State. That's a tough stretch of duals + Iowa has the Midlands (coincidently, Penn State also has their B10 slate, Iowa and OK State).

CTM - Iowa has a pretty tough schedule.

They have their normal B10 duals, as well as Penn State - who they have beaten 2 out of the past 3 during PSU's run of National Championships - and they wrestle OK State. That's a tough stretch of duals + Iowa has the Midlands (coincidently, Penn State also has their B10 slate, Iowa and OK State).

----

Old Marine... if you are expecting an ounce of objectivity about Iowa from CTmopar, good luck.

Oldmarine-Fair enough. Take Evans off. Hatchett and Yates certainly don't count to me. I'm just being 100% honest. If they do to anyone else then cool, good for you. Take Evans off the list. Down to 4 good guys.

It's obvious that Dr Gonzo won't concede that someone is a nasty guy unless he beats everyone he has ever wrestled; especially if that alleged nasty guy is from Penn State. David Taylor lost twice - that proves he isn't nasty right there. And everyone else he wrestled was just an inferior wrestler, so they don't count.

makes sense to me.

Q: was Cael a nasty guy, Gonzo? How about Dan Gable? - he lost to that wimp from Washington so he probably wasn't nasty.

I agree the topic isn't exactly classic but must you air your deep prejudices all the time?

So, let me get this straight -

You guys are arguing over how dominant these guys are over division-one athletes? The same ones that dedicate every second of their day to their sport?

I never really understood that whole concept. Matt Brown, David Taylor, etc. are dominating the best college wrestlers out on the mat right now, and there's a standard of who is good enough to be considered "competition?" I can understand if they were pinning me and the rest of my club team, but these are the guys on scholarships, practically living and breathing wrestling.

Of course, there's different echelons to athletic ability and talent, but do remember - the guys they're mauling are doing the same workout routines and making the same weight class with the same sacrifices.

Let's not forget that every wrestler has taken their losses. It's more efficient to look at their wins (Don't try and say David Taylor's wins are mostly weak guys - he makes them look weak) than their faults.

Husky, I agree. I didn't mean this one as a backhanded compliment. I was just wondering. I don't think anything I said was inaccurate. When they wrestle guys not nearly as good as they are they are nasty as heck. When they wrestle good guys I don't see the same nastiness. I was just looking for clarification so I'd know whether to disagree or not if my observations weren't made clear.

Also, Husky, you didn't address Brown, only Taylor. The OP was talking about Brown. I brought up Taylor and not to get too far off track here but you kind of have to go back to DT's freshman year because he hasn't exactly seen the best competition. Not that it's his fault. All I can remember are DSJ (this is by far Taylor's best win), Evans, Kokesh, Caldwell, and maybe Fittery? 5 dudes? I'm a huge fan of Evans and Kokesh but only DSJ would I call borderline elite, but how far down the list would you guys have DSJ on your p4p rankings? Am I missing anyone else good Taylor has wrestled? I don't mean this as an insult either I'm just trying to state straight facts here. So yeah you have to go back to damn near his freshman year to find a decent guy he's seen he didn't lose to. All you PSU guys can feel free to tell me where I'm wrong on this, I'm all ears.

It's a sad existence you lead.

Gonzo is in full meltdown mode and the season just started. Usually it takes him till March to reach this level.

He will be posting from a mental institution by the end of the season if he isn't careful. I can see him now, arms tied up in a straight jacket, typing with his nose screaming Mopar!!!!!!!!!!

How did this topic veer so off track?????

I posted a video that I thought was entertaining. Between the classic physicality and the grunts and the groans the video definitely had some entertainment value for me and I bet for a lot of people on here. Could have been an Iowa wrestler OR Andrew Howe and I still would have loved the video. I threw in some info on Matt Brown because it does sound like he is a real neat dude. Pretty happy that he will be defending our country for us in a couple of years.

I come back and we are debating David Taylor's P4P ranking and the relative merits of Iowa and PSU's schedules?????

Ohio-You have no idea what kind of existence I lead. Instead of judging me why don't you answer the question and judge DT. By the way what state is he from again? I laid it out there plain and simple. If you think that's because I dislike PSU fans then I don't care one bit. Don't care what you think of me. The entire idea of posting on this board is to anger some people and receive some push back. If everyone agreed there would be no point in a message board. It would be the PSU board. I'll be melting down typing Mopar with my nose all season long. Agree with what I have to say or disagree that is your decision but don't be stupid enough to think you know anything about anyone on the other side of a keyboard. Tigs might be a successful lawyer in real life, that doesn't make him not an ignorant wrestling fan. Don't pretend to know me beyond a wrestling forum persona.