Sign in to follow this  
GP

Jay Hammond

Carp,

Arrangements are in process for carrying on the work of Jay. Jamie Moffatt and I along with Leroy Smith are working out the details. Suffice it to say that all the data bases are in my possession. At present Cornell,Lehigh and Penn State have copies of the data base and have assigned people to continue updating the database for their particular University. The Hall of Fame is working on the continuation also. Before his death Jay had finished updating the NCAA database and had a few articles written. Jamie Moffatt had been working with Jay to finish the articles and Leroy Smith was planning for an updated release of the History of Collegiate Wrestling that will be available in electronic format.

One major issue that is left is for a co-ordination of efforts to continue to update wrestlingstats.com. We need to find out the particulars of how to access that site along with passwords and arrange to take over the site. In time, I will communicate with his wife Galina, a wonderful person, to try to obtain this info.

I have no information about whether Jay will be recognized at the NCAA tournament this year but I wholly support the idea.

On a personal note I want to thank everyone for the prayers,warm wishes, and great comments about Jay. I plan to copy all of this to give to Galina so she can see the far reaching positive effect Jay had on the wrestling community. This is one more example of the special nature of those who embrace our beloved sport.

Garry Paul

Oh my!

Jay Hammond was a man who contributed as much to wrestling and to our understanding of it as any of its more famous participants.

In just one way, his value to our sport is seen in the above scramble to make sure his work is continued to the standard he established.

We all will pass through the gate just as Jay did but he probably brought more credits to that passage than most all of us will bring.

RIP Jay Hammond. Sympathies and best wishes to his wife Galenia.

John Durkee

May god rest his soul.

I'm a casual fan that was thrilled to find out about the wrestling stats site. Was really impressed with it. I thank Jay for his work and making this simple fan more of a fan due to the knowledge he helped to make so easy to find. It is a small thing for one person but I'm sure he did the same for many.

I was stunned when I heard the news of his passing. I had met Jay a number of times and really enjoyed speaking with him as he brought so much knowledge and passion. I remember sharing a ride with him on a shuttle from the airport one year during the NCAAs. He remembered me and we talked about his site and how he wanted to expand it. Back then it did not have all the conference tourneys or other portions. I will miss him and agree there should be some mention during the NCAAs this year.

RIP Jay you will be missed friend.

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Jay.

I am a bit of a nut about the history of our sport. So, I have always thought of Jay as sort of saintly. He 'put it' all right in front of us. For, to ponder some of the 'what ifs' of our sport. As well as all of those treasured oldies….but goodies.

Jeez what a loss.

Denny

Carp,

Arrangements are in process for carrying on the work of Jay. Jamie Moffatt and I along with Leroy Smith are working out the details. Suffice it to say that all the data bases are in my possession. At present Cornell,Lehigh and Penn State have copies of the data base and have assigned people to continue updating the database for their particular University. The Hall of Fame is working on the continuation also. Before his death Jay had finished updating the NCAA database and had a few articles written. Jamie Moffatt had been working with Jay to finish the articles and Leroy Smith was planning for an updated release of the History of Collegiate Wrestling that will be available in electronic format.

One major issue that is left is for a co-ordination of efforts to continue to update wrestlingstats.com. We need to find out the particulars of how to access that site along with passwords and arrange to take over the site. In time, I will communicate with his wife Galina, a wonderful person, to try to obtain this info.

I have no information about whether Jay will be recognized at the NCAA tournament this year but I wholly support the idea.

On a personal note I want to thank everyone for the prayers,warm wishes, and great comments about Jay. I plan to copy all of this to give to Galina so she can see the far reaching positive effect Jay had on the wrestling community. This is one more example of the special nature of those who embrace our beloved sport.

Garry Paul

Garry , great post.

Carp,

Garry Paul

Garry--Thanks for the response and effort.

Carp,

Garry Paul

----

Like everyone else, I'm saddened to hear of Jay's passing. His contribution to the sport we love is huge. I've used the book many times, and the website is the Encyclopedia Brittanica for collegiate wrestling.

And thanks to you, Garry and others who will try to keep the work Jay started going.