Sign in to follow this  
GP

Jay Hammond

The wrestling world just lost one of its greatest fans as noted wrestling historian Jay Hammond lost his battle with Esophageal cancer at 4:45 this morning. Please keep him in your prayers.

Jay was one of the most dedicated and decorated wrestling fans who ever lived. His devotion and passion for the sport is second to few, if any. He was the encyclopedia of wrestling. He will be sorely missed. Keep his memory alive.

I agree JohnnyT. Good post. Jay Hammond will be missed.

Sorry to see this news.

He provided a lot to college wrestling fans and his efforts are very appreciated and will certainly be missed by a great number of people.

His history is his legacy, which he left to the sport of collegiate wrestling.

Thank you Jay Hammond!

Agreed...this is a huge loss to the entire wrestling community.

I saw this thread this morning, and spent the next hour thumbing through his History of Collegiate Wrestling book that's been on my shelf for the last few years. An amazing amount of depth into the sport and its participants over the years. RIP and thanks for your hard work and efforts, Jay, it's much appreciated.

Very sad day. His book, The History of Collegiate Wrestling, is THE book to own as a wrestling fan. It's also great for high school kids to give them some perspective on the history of their sport.

I agree with all of you ... What a sad day. Yet, my 90 yo Dad just loves to read a re-read the old wrestling stories and stats from back in the day. His work and dedication is still alive and well.

Very sorry to learn of Jay's passing.

His work, especially with WrestlingStats.com and his epic "History of Collegiate Wrestling" are dependable, go-to sources for a wealth of information not readily available anywhere else. As someone who has spent some time doing research myself, I can only imagine the countless hours he must have spent in libraries and other research facilities, going through old newspapers, brackets and other documents to record and share his discoveries with the rest of us. His tireless efforts will live on for wrestling fans and historians around the world.

Prayers to his family.

Mark

Two things: There was talk, initiated by him, of how Jay's work would be carried on in his absence. Anyone have any information about this?

Second, if there is not some kind of official recognition of his work at the 2014 NCAA tournament, something is amiss.