Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

The IOWA way

http://vimeo.com/77234223

It will be tough for him to repeat, but i believe in DSJ.

He is the guy that stands in the back of the room before a fight while everyone else is screaming and talking smack. But when the shat hits the fan he steps in and kicks some arse. Then quietly walks away unfazed. The quiet storm.

I watched him lose to John Nicholson in finals in HS. I remember thinking at the time how is this kid going to ever win a National title in college? Well he showed us how. Interesting to note Nicholsen will probably be ISU's 157 pounder this year after transfering from Old Dominion. Im sure Derek would enjoy a chance at a rematch. I will be there to watch if it happens. That's forsure

Anyways I wish DSJ the best his Senior year. GO HAWKS!

I thought this one was great. The Ramos one probably gave me more of a chills feeling and more times but I'm a bigger fan of DSJ so I really liked this one. These people have done a great job with these videos. Nice that Iowa has the guys to make these videos interesting. I've said it before and it's DEBATABLE, I suppose, but I really don't think Iowa and Minne have fallen off as much as PSU has surged ahead. Cael has stock piled a lot of talent and his approach to recruiting is certainly different. I've seen transfers and two teams put together before but this super team has two generational guys who bonus everyone. It's kind of the perfect storm. Point is I don't think Iowa and Minne or even Oklahoma St. are in peril like a lot on this message board do. Good video!! Go DSJ!!!

DSJ is a good guy and I hope to see him have continued success. I don't enjoy his passive wrestling style and I do feel that questionable calls are often in his favor, even at times when they should not be. Nevertheless though on a personal level, I hope to see him achieve many great things in his final year as a Hawkeye.

DSJ isn't your typical Iowa wrestler. His style and attitude aren't what you normally associate with the Hawkeyes, but nonetheless, he's become one of the leaders of that program. I hope he goes out on top again, he's an easy guy to root for...

Maybe not in the relentless, constantly attack sense but I think he's got juevos grande. He's wrestled through injury. Showed a lot of heart. He never panics when he's in tight matches. He's been in a lot of close matches and ot matches and he almost always comes out on top. He's a cool customer. I'm a big fan.

Love the video, I was never a DSJ fan, but after watching the video what's not to like. In an era of look at me, I just blew a guy up on a tackle where he got a first down and I will celebrate to no end! I like the quite, confident demeanor he has when getting ready for a match, during the match, and after the match. Kind of old school.

Love the video, I was never a DSJ fan, but after watching the video what's not to like. In an era of look at me, I just blew a guy up on a tackle where he got a first down and I will celebrate to no end! I like the quite, confident demeanor he has when getting ready for a match, during the match, and after the match. Kind of old school.

....... good point. what the hells up with the football celebrating........

I've never been a big DsJ fan, and even think he wrestles somewhat dirty from time to time - but this video was really cool. I'm sure he will have a good end to an excellent college career. Just think, he may end up with as many championships as Penn State's golden boy, David Taylor :D

I'll take the cool, calm looking, non-cocky guy any day.

I even find Ramos' ruffled feathers, try to look tough staring the guy down, to be bush league, whereas others find it an enduring quality.

It's funny you say that since you often talk about boxing. Boxing damn near created the stare down. Do you think the boxing stare down is bush league or do they get a free pass?

I even find Ramos' ruffled feathers, try to look tough staring the guy down, to be bush league, whereas others find it an enduring quality.

It's funny you say that since you often talk about boxing. Boxing damn near created the stare down. Do you think the boxing stare down is bush league or do they get a free pass?

Of course I find it bush league, especially when the "starer" proceeds to get spanked by the guy who stares at the ring mat.

However, excessive celebration is a part of foolball today too, which doesn't mean that such things fit well with rasslin.

Has Iowa ever had a 3 time finalist that wasn't part of a National Championship team - or will he be the first?

I distinctly remember this Matt McDonough guy who wrestled for Iowa pretty recently who was a 3 time finalist ;-)

Has Iowa ever had a 3 time finalist that wasn't part of a National Championship team - or will he be the first?

I distinctly remember this Matt McDonough guy who wrestled for Iowa pretty recently who was a 3 time finalist ;-)

2010 Iowa as well as McD won titles

McDonough won a team championship as a freshman.......

Of course I find it bush league, especially when the "starer" proceeds to get spanked by the guy who stares at the ring mat.

However, excessive celebration is a part of foolball today too, which doesn't mean that such things fit well with rasslin.

Fair enough, I just wanted to see if you were consistent. I wondered if it was an Iowa hate thing or if you truly did not like the stare down. I have no issue with it personally but respect your opinion.

....... good point. what the hells up with the football celebrating........

A Steve Largent kind of guy...Make a fantastic catch, then get up and politely hand the ball to the ref.

The only thing that I can see on what's not to like about DSJ's style of wrestling is that his opponents have said that he gets dirty in the tie-up. The comments about him not being offensive are totally off base. If your perspective stems from when he wrestled w/ a major injury and still took 2nd, then fine. He is very offensive, always active, and arguably one of the best ever at defending high-c's and inside singles (why he is an excellent freestyler).