Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Speaking of the "weaker" NAIA

NAIA wrestling rarely if ever gets credit for being or having credible wrestlers, but recently Grand View kept up very competitively with Iowa State. Iowa State per d1collegewrestling.net is ranked 11th in the nation as of yesterday.

The final score was 22-18 in favor of the Cyclones.

Key notes

Isiah Tatum pinned Luke Goettl (ranked #25)

Jimmy Schuessler def Tanner Weatherman 6-4 (ranked #10 and R12 last year with a win over 3X AA Jordan Blanton of Illinois)

we discredit the entire sport by putting such a large priority on D1 and giving few props to the balance of the college level divisions.. My son wrestled both D1 and then D2. There are very good wrestlers in D2; many who would be competitive in D1. I can tell you with certainty that D2 and D3 guys have way more fun than most D1 programs allow. Most have time off from April through August and the competition is excellent to spectate. I don't know enough about NAIA and JUCO to feel comfortable about commenting but if your HS sr. enjoys wrestling still, but doesn't want to be completely immersed 24-7-365 then have him avoid D1. It is a miserable existence for most of those I know.

Here is what many people forget. A college football team has 85 scholarships and 125 "Division 1" teams that is 10,625 division 1 scholarship athletes. A Division 1 college wrestling team gets 9.9 scholarships (If fully funded which all aren't) and there are only around 77 left which works out to about 762 Division1 scholarship athletes.

There just aren't nearly as many D1 opportunities for wrestling as there are for football. Guys go D2, but if the same amount of opportunities were there as football most of those guys would be at middle level or lower end D1 schools. It is funny though if two guys are talking and they say they played D1 football it is instant respect no matter how bad the team was or if they started or not. In wrestling if two guys are talking and one said he was D1 and the other said he was D2 the D2 guys gets a side ways look like he is not a real athlete.

It is funny though if two guys are talking and they say they played D1 football it is instant respect no matter how bad the team was or if they started or not. In wrestling if two guys are talking and one said he was D1 and the other said he was D2 the D2 guys gets a side ways look like he is not a real athlete

Kind of an elaborate hypothetical.

The reality is that full rides in wrestling are extremely rare. Take a look at Iowa and with 9.9 scholarships how much money do you think they were giving McDonough, Clark, and Gilman all to be at 125 last year? Any of those athletes would have, likely, commanded more scholarship money at a program like Buffalo, North Dakota State, or Cal Poly and this is often a factor in why kids decide to go to the NAIA or Division2 route.

There are NAIA and D2 programs with larger scholarship budgets than some D1 programs yet the D1 programs need to compete at a higher level. So if a team is putting a lot of scholarship money into their #1 and #2 athletes in hopes of getting on the podium a D1 program with a limited budget an athlete that is expected to be #5 or #8 in a D1 program may be a lot more valuable to a D2/NAIA program than they are to the D1 program.

As a result, you can often see some D1 programs with lesser funding not only struggling to recruit against D1 programs but also against programs in other divisions. The D2 programs can offer these recruits more money since the likely hood they will get on the D2 podium is as high as the likelyhood that they would be a D1 National Qualifier and the D2 school can tell them they will still get the chance to compete against D1 athletes in opens.

The defensive reaction by a lot in the wrestling community is to say that a kid doesn't have the grades for D1 and that is why they are in D2 but you will often see a lot of kids not going the D1 route because after they realize what type of offers they have been given they realize that the hype of D1 isn't worth it to the family budget.

You mention "grades" as an issue for not going to a D1 school, actually, it is not usually a grade issue but a lack of required classes. Many times this can be blamed on the school for not making sure that the classes that the athlete is taking fit the requirements of the clearinghouse. Grade requirments between D1 and D2 are not a whole lot different.

You mention "grades" as an issue for not going to a D1 school, actually, it is not usually a grade issue but a lack of required classes. Many times this can be blamed on the school for not making sure that the classes that the athlete is taking fit the requirements of the clearinghouse. Grade requirments between D1 and D2 are not a whole lot different.

That's something I've never really understood. I've always seen it as more difficult GPA and ACT wise to get into a Simpson or a Coe or a Wartburg than it was to get into an Iowa or an Iowa State. Am I mistaken here? I just didn't think that grade wise Division I was the most difficult of all to be accepted to in the overall comparison of college divisions.

That's something I've never really understood. I've always seen it as more difficult GPA and ACT wise to get into a Simpson or a Coe or a Wartburg than it was to get into an Iowa or an Iowa State. Am I mistaken here? I just didn't think that grade wise Division I was the most difficult of all to be accepted to in the overall comparison of college divisions.

There is a difference in being accepted to a school and being eligible via the NCAA clearinghouse.

Some D2 schools only have 4.5 scholarships that blows..Almost unfair advantage that a school in the same conf has 7 scholarships and other schools have 4.5 or 6.0 to offer.. D2 a team that has 2 more scholarships avaible thats 4 or 6 more studs in the room..

Too many people get focused on getting an athletic scholarship and forget about need based aid.

My nephew got a better deal on a financial aid package than the wrestling coach (DI) could offer him with athletic aid. And his FinAid deal was also better than some of his "blue-chip" teammates. We were far from being "poor." Just that some private schools have a boatload of money they HAVE to hand out.

Sometimes the struggles with offering FinAid is you have to maintain a specific GPA which is often higher than the GPA an "athlete" must maintain.

Too many people get focused on getting an athletic scholarship and forget about need based financial aid.

My son got a better deal on a financial aid package than the wrestling coach (DI) could offer him with athletic aid. And his FinAid deal was also better than some of his athletic scholarship teammates. We were far from being "poor" and it helped having other siblings in college at the same time. It's just that some private schools have a boatload of money they HAVE to hand out.

Want to see something interesting, go to Princeton's website and see who qualifies for "need-based aid."

Sometimes the struggles teams who can offering FinAid is the athlete has to maintain a specific GPA which is higher than the GPA someone on an athletic scholarship must maintain.