Sign in to follow this  
DoubleUp

Am I the only one

A few years ago I really liked the direction Oregon State was starting to go and was excited about the prospect of having a powerhouse West Coast program. I am glad to see they have continued to build the program.

Most of all, I like that their growth could bring (1) another power program to an under served portion of the country and (2) they are not a member of the Big Ten. I think having the power programs spread to different conferences and different regions of the country is vital to building regional fan bases and allowing teams to have conference success that their fan bases can be excited about.

A few years ago I really liked the direction Oregon State was starting to go and was excited about the prospect of having a powerhouse West Coast program. I am glad to see they have continued to build the program.

Most of all, I like that their growth could bring (1) another power program to an under served portion of the country and (2) they are not a member of the Big Ten. I think having the power programs spread to different conferences and different regions of the country is vital to building regional fan bases and allowing teams to have conference success that their fan bases can be excited about.

Agree! A few times hanging with the guys we debate on separating the Big 10 and making 6-8 new conferences .Never happen but its fun to debate!

Oregon State COULD NOT be doing well because all success and failure is due to coaches, and Zalesky was the SOLE reason why Iowa didn't win a title in the one year that he was there. ;)

Zalesky is a GREAT coach. I think he could be a top 5 coach and, if not, at least top 10. I simply think he is better at a program without the IMMENSE pressure to perform EVERY year. His personality just didn't mesh well with "The Iowa Way" even though he was a great Iowa wrestler. In the end, I think the best for both Zalesky and Iowa materialized. Zalesky ended up at a great school, with much less expectations, near the West Coast where he could virtually have first pick out of a wrestling hotbed severely under represented by DI schools. He has been allowed to do it his way and has developed a great program. You may still debate whether he was poorly treated by Iowa, but in the end, I think they did him a favor.

Oregon State COULD NOT be doing well because all success and failure is due to coaches, and Zalesky was the SOLE reason why Iowa didn't win a title in the one year that he was there. ;)

Zalesky is a GREAT coach. I think he could be a top 5 coach and, if not, at least top 10. I simply think he is better at a program without the IMMENSE pressure to perform EVERY year. His personality just didn't mesh well with "The Iowa Way" even though he was a great Iowa wrestler. In the end, I think the best for both Zalesky and Iowa materialized. Zalesky ended up at a great school, with much less expectations, near the West Coast where he could virtually have first pick out of a wrestling hotbed severely under represented by DI schools. He has been allowed to do it his way and has developed a great program. You may still debate whether he was poorly treated by Iowa, but in the end, I think they did him a favor.

I debated as to whether or not I should have put a "sarcasm alert" in front of my post, but I decided that a wink was enough, but apparently not.

For future reference, I never place blame on coaches, unless they flat out don't show up for work. Zalesky had zero to do with Iowa's 'slip," even though he presided under two national titles at Iowa. :roll:

I debated as to whether or not I should have put a "sarcasm alert" in front of my post, but I decided that a wink was enough, but apparently not.

For future reference, I never place blame on coaches, unless they flat out don't show up for work. Zalesky had zero to do with Iowa's 'slip," even though he presided under two national titles at Iowa. :roll:

You make way too many assumptions when you post. I actually responded to you BASED off of your sarcasm. I have been on here long enough to know what you think of Iowa and the coaching change.

Coach Zalesky was a much better coach than the Iowa faithful gave him credit. He has helped turn a fairly weak also ran with no AAs from 2002- 2006 into a 4X conference winner and 8AAs. this is a substantial team with 2 top 10 finishes. The only thing I would change is their soubriquet. I heard "Redskins" will soon be available

"You make way too many assumptions when you post. I actually responded to you BASED off of your sarcasm. I have been on here long enough to know what you think of Iowa and the coaching change."

Well, maybe, but you apparently haven't been here long enough to know that I can't be sold that a coach is soley responsible for a team's winning and losing, which is what the calls for coaches' jobs is all about.

"You make way too many assumptions when you post. I actually responded to you BASED off of your sarcasm. I have been on here long enough to know what you think of Iowa and the coaching change."

Well, maybe, but you apparently haven't been here long enough to know that I can't be sold that a coach is soley responsible for a team's winning and losing, which is what the calls for coaches' jobs is all about.

Actually, I have been on here long enough to know you can't be sold on ANYTHING. Also, I wasn't trying to sell you that Zalesky was solely or even significantly responsible. I simply said it wasn't a great fit for either Zalesky or Iowa.

Coach Zalesky was a much better coach than the Iowa faithful gave him credit. He has helped turn a fairly weak also ran with no AAs from 2002- 2006 into a 4X conference winner and 8AAs. this is a substantial team with 2 top 10 finishes. The only thing I would change is their soubriquet. I heard "Redskins" will soon be available

Hey ... Who can't love a BEAVER??

Coach Z. has just slowly but surely re-built a pretty good program. Look way back in the days when Oregon, and Oregon State were both showing up in the NCAA tournament and showing well. I swear, If I ever meet Phil's wife, I am going to kick her in the shins. We should still have at Least 2 teams in Oregon, and at least one in Washington still.

I think his move out West will probably add 5-10+ years to his life span. ;)

Actually, I have been on here long enough to know you can't be sold on ANYTHING. Also, I wasn't trying to sell you that Zalesky was solely or even significantly responsible. I simply said it wasn't a great fit for either Zalesky or Iowa.

Let's be realistic here for a second and grant Zalesky a little grace. No One, and I mean NO ONE would have been a good fit for Iowa at that time. Dan Gable came as close to perfection as anyone ever will as a Division I wrestling coach. Upon his departure the Iowa faithful expected the perfection to continue. They may have said that they realized how special Gable was, but they didn't truly understand it and realize it. The expectations of continuously fighting for the title are still there, but they are a little more laxed on the idea of perfection.

I don't care who you put in that position during that time, the duplication of a Coach like Gable and what he achieved was as good as impractical and impossible. The fans didn't realize that at the time, they do now.

Actually, I have been on here long enough to know you can't be sold on ANYTHING.

Considering the audience, I consider that to be a badge of honor. ;)

Let's be realistic here for a second and grant Zalesky a little grace. No One, and I mean NO ONE would have been a good fit for Iowa at that time. Dan Gable came as close to perfection as anyone ever will as a Division I wrestling coach. Upon his departure the Iowa faithful expected the perfection to continue. They may have said that they realized how special Gable was, but they didn't truly understand it and realize it. The expectations of continuously fighting for the title are still there, but they are a little more laxed on the idea of perfection.

I don't care who you put in that position during that time, the duplication of a Coach like Gable and what he achieved was as good as impractical and impossible. The fans didn't realize that at the time, they do now.

First off, ANY person involved with the program who would expect similar results after a LEGENDARY coach retires is a knucklehead. I am only concerned with the knowledgeable and influential base. Meaning the program decision makers.

I wasn't slighting Zalesky. Read what I said about him earlier in this topic. If you used the word perfect fit I would agree with you. However, you used good fit. Zalesky's personality ended up being an issue as much as the team's performance. In hindsight, I think Brands would have been a better fit. With that said, I would not guarantee his results would have been any better than Zalesky's. However, Brands' fiery personality and coaching zeal are easier to accept to a majority of the Iowa faithful. I am not even sure I would say Brands is a better coach than Zalesky. I simply think he fits in better at Iowa than Zalesky did. I agree that it may have been easier for Brands to transition into the coaching position after Zalesky but I don't think people would have called for his head like they did with Zalesky and I think Brands would still be the Head Coach.