Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Bellator releases Ben Askren

Yes, I'm a little surprised that Askren isn't somewhat of submission expert by now, given all the positions he ends up in. Then again, he may have a lot of submissions waiting in his back pocket for when he really needs them.

Again, don't want to jump the gun before tomorrow's GSP-Hendricks fight, but for the sake of this topic, I think a GSP-Askren title fight would be loaded with action. Would love to see how GSP approaches that fight.

Having said that, I'm rooting for Johny tomorrow, but I'm a big GSP fan too.

(Yes, and I'd love a Hendricks-Askren title fight also. Can't wait for tomorrow!) Good wrestling day too!

Yes, I'm a little surprised that Askren isn't somewhat of submission expert by now, given all the positions he ends up in. Then again, he may have a lot of submissions waiting in his back pocket for when he really needs them.

I actually think he knows a few more submission than he uses in most fights. If you watch some of his fights he ends up just letting go of submissions he has set up to continue punishing his opponent with ground strikes and wrestling/grappling hold. For the most part I think he just enjoys frustrating and humiliating fighters who believe they have the answer to his wrestling style. Unfortunately moat average fan see's it as a little to annoying and frustrating to watch, as well.

i realize there's marketing and posturing going on on both sides but...

instead of saying Askren is one-dimensional to suggest why they didn't want to re-sign him, when their real motive is that they want to see the Bellator Champ do well in the UFC,

why didn't they just say, "We want to see the Bellator Champ do well in the UFC, so we'll let him go there."

i mean, wouldn't the Belltor brand be better for it if their long-time champ was an impact player in the UFC?

maybe i'm missing something.

No, Bellator's brand would be best served by keeping their dominant champion under contract and fighting for Bellator. Since they were obviously unable to do that (Ben was likely pretty set on moving to the UFC) Bjorn is trying to spin things the best he can to save some face.

instead of saying Askren is one-dimensional to suggest why they didn't want to re-sign him, when their real motive is that they want to see the Bellator Champ do well in the UFC,

why didn't they just say, "We want to see the Bellator Champ do well in the UFC, so we'll let him go there."

i mean, wouldn't the Belltor brand be better for it if their long-time champ was an impact player in the UFC?

No, Bellator's brand would be best served by keeping their dominant champion under contract and fighting for Bellator. Since they were obviously unable to do that (Ben was likely pretty set on moving to the UFC) Bjorn is trying to spin things the best he can to save some face.

I think it was more of the division going stale with Askren holding the title. And since he wasn't losing to Bellator level talent plus his fights were uninspiring to the average fan not renewing his contract open the division up. For Belator to remain relevant in the MMA game they need viewer talking about their entertaining fights. Askren maybe dominate but he wasn't helping the organization gain interest. This is the same reason the UFC isn't very interested aside from his potential name recognition due to the Bellator fall out.

I think it was more of the division going stale with Askren holding the title. And since he wasn't losing to Bellator level talent plus his fights were uninspiring to the average fan not renewing his contract open the division up. For Belator to remain relevant in the MMA game they need viewer talking about their entertaining fights. Askren maybe dominate but he wasn't helping the organization gain interest. This is the same reason the UFC isn't very interested aside from his potential name recognition due to the Bellator fall out.

I can 100% guarantee you that they would have kept him under contract if they felt they were able to. If you are a fight promotion you do not simply let an undefeated champion walk away with your belt and fight for another organization, no matter how boring he is

This is old news. Askren was OFFICIALLY released on 14 November, but it's been a foregone conclusion since his last fight in July that he would be done in Bellator.

Dana White also said he didn't want any of the Pride fighters at one time. Would never work with Barnett or Tito again. blaaaaaaa blaaaaaaa.

You'll need to convince me that Ben couldn't hang with the best in the UFC. Who didn't laugh when Askren first went into MMA. The guy has spaghetti arms and is built like spongebob. But now he's 12-0. He's finished his last 2 fights. Because of his style he is one of the best wrestlers in MMA. He is a bad matchup for alot of guys. He is also a big 170. He wrestles big and didn't look small against Q.

Dana will end up signing him at some point unless Ben loses interest. He's already said he doesnt care if he fights again.

Bjorn Rebney (Bellator CEO) explains his decision to release Askren but fight for Eddie Alvarez. He also criticizes the UFC for claiming to have the best fighters in the world, but passing on Askren, the number six welterweight in the world.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/16/bellato ... -decision/

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Even though Bjorn Rebney said he has a very good reason to keep Eddie Alvarez under contract and not Ben Askren, the Bellator MMA chairman and CEO had harsh words for his rivals at the UFC, who’ve apparently taken a pass on the latter.

Rebney, speaking after Friday’s Bellator 108 event in Atlantic City, N.J., recently concluded a lengthy legal (and public-relations) battle to keep newly crowned lightweight champion Alvarez under contract. However, he said he has sound financial reasoning for not putting forth the same effort to keep Askren, its longtime welterweight champion.

Askren, of course, was officially released earlier this week when Bellator opted to drop its matching rights.

“It’s just two totally different fighters – totally, completely different fighters with different personas, different fighting styles, different upsides, different downsides, different fan connections,” he told MMAjunkie. “I don’t know that there are two fighters more different in the MMA space than Eddie Alvarez and Ben Askren.”

Despite his decision to ultimately pass on Askren, Rebney said he and the undefeated fighter had “a lot of conversations and a lot of discussions” about a new deal. However, he said it ultimately didn’t make economic sense to keep the former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion and 2008 Olympian under contract due to his ground-based fighting style.

“I made him a series of offers,” Rebney said. “He didn’t feel the offers made sense for him from an economic standpoint, and at that point, it just made sense … to give him his out-and-out release and let him go do whatever he wants.

” … This has always been a business, and I’ve always approached it like a business. I never approached it like a fan or like a guy who’s on a losing streak who keeps throwing money down on the craps table. It’s all about economics. It’s about profit and loss. There are just some circumstances where you’re going to look at a guy like Ben and say, ‘OK, what kind of a revenue generator can he be? Where are we as a company able to monetize Ben? How much does Ben want to stay here, and does it make sense to up that offer?’ When I did that math, it didn’t make sense. Ben wanted more, and that’s his right.”

However, Rebney criticized the UFC’s decision to pass on Askren (12-0), who’s ranked No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings. Earlier this week, UFC President Dana White said the organization has “no interest” in the fighter, though Askren later told MMAjunkie he’s optimistic UFC officials will change their mind.

While Bellator ultimately took a pass, Rebney said he has a reason to criticize White’s decision for doing the same thing.

“I think it’s disingenuous and ridiculous,” he said. “If you stand up consistently at every press conference and in every media scrum and say the greatest fighters in the world fight here, and the No. 6 ranked welterweight in the world becomes available unrestricted with no matching rights – and you don’t even make him an offer – then you need to stop saying the best fighters in the world fight there.

“There are an awful lot of fighters in the UFC that Ben Askren could beat 99 out of a hundred fights, many of them at the top of the division.”

For more on Bellator’s and the UFC’s schedules, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.