Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

Ruth

I had to go to theopenmat forums for the latest in that.

----

Learn anything?

Btw, I don't see a reason to ban factual info, done respectfully. The PSU and Iowa forums have still kept the threads open.

I'm just glad this wasn't an Iowa guy. We'd never hear the end of it. I don't understand why we don't hear from Tigs and Mopar and all their boys when Ruth screws up or the Altons screw up. Funny. Anyway, let me say before this thread gets deleted, to protect Ruth, that I couldn't care less if Ruth drinks alcohol. I don't care if he has keggers at his house, hits the bong, and sleeps with the coaches wives. I want Ed Ruth on the mat. We have one more season to watch this guy collegiately. I'd rather Ed Ruth wrestle and Iowa lose the team title than Ed Ruth sit and Iowa win. And before anyone says this nonsense, Ed Ruth is NOT a role model. He's an athlete. YOU are the role model to your kids. Ed Ruth is just a guy that tries to embarrass his opponents in front of their girlfriends and mothers for compensation. Anything he does for the kids beyond that is good on him.

I'm just glad this wasn't an Iowa guy. We'd never hear the end of it. I don't understand why we don't hear from Tigs and Mopar and all their boys when Ruth screws up or the Altons screw up. Funny. Anyway, let me say before this thread gets deleted, to protect Ruth, that I couldn't care less if Ruth drinks alcohol. I don't care if he has keggers at his house, hits the bong, and sleeps with the coaches wives. I want Ed Ruth on the mat. We have one more season to watch this guy collegiately. I'd rather Ed Ruth wrestle and Iowa lose the team title than Ed Ruth sit and Iowa win. And before anyone says this nonsense, Ed Ruth is NOT a role model. He's an athlete. YOU are the role model to your kids. Ed Ruth is just a guy that tries to embarrass his opponents in front of their girlfriends and mothers for compensation. Anything he does for the kids beyond that is good on him.

Oh, another butthurt Iowan. Take your whining over to the Iowa board.

Doc, I always hear Johnny Depps Voice when you get on a rant. :ugeek:

Ed has been amazing and I hope he has not robbed himself of a special finish to his career. I imagine he will be back in the line-up soon. That's why Cael gets the big bucks. Consistency is the key to athletes understanding their boundaries, and expectations, especially when it comes to disciplinary measures. I don't know any of the facts, but I know that a Captain can lose a ship if he waivers from his philosophy. One thing I do know, is Penn St is still reeling from their Joe Pa/Sandusky nightmare. I have a feeling if this was anything approaching a DUI level of severity, the administration may take his discipline out of Cael's hands. JMO, but I think we'll see him in a couple of weeks.

Oh, another butthurt Iowan. Take your whining over to the Iowa board.

Doesn't sound like a whine to me. Sounds like a wrestling fan.

WOW - Nice post Dr. Gonzo. I agree with most of your post except for the bong part, only because it's still illegle in most states. I personally do not see a problem if a 21 year old has a few drinks, they are of legal age. I especially agree with your comment about athletes being role models.

I know of some wrestlers (a few NCAA Champs) that were able to drink heavily during the season, party all night and still perform at practice and in competition. There is a quite famous Iowa champ that has commented on his exploits. I also know wrestlers that enjoy alcohol as much as anyone, but make the comittment to be dry during the season. I had a discussion with a friend who enjoys having a good time. I was surprised that he agreed with the suspension, simply because it is a known team rule. I can appreciate that. I guess that if I was a coach, I would make sure that new recruites know and fully understand all the team rules and maybe make the kids sign a document.

It's a real shame when talented kids from any school pisses away great opportunities. One of the more recent ones that comes to mind is Garrett Scott. That kid was a very special talent. I think many fans only saw a good Scott but not a great Scott.

I'M NOT AN IOWAN!!! I've been to Iowa City many times, nice place, love Carver-Hawkeye. I've never lived in Iowa in my life.

Ryan you really read everything I had to say and what you took away from it was whiny butthurt Iowan? For the first time ever I may be speechless. I need some time to construct something witty.

And thank you jstock!

Do we know what he did? I don't yet. I also hope that his last year of collegiate wrestling isn't cut short because of something dumb. I wanna see him wrestle while we can, plain and simple.

In regards to Garrett Scott; he was a true phenom. What 'could' have been...

Man....Garrett Scott.....I thought that kid was so good in high school.....I feel like I can see him wrestling Kellan Russell in my head. Can't I? Where was that? A dual? Big 10? It wasn't Nationals right? Scott lost to Rivera and someone he was way better than right? Did I dream the Kellan Russell match? No way I did. Someone tell me what I'm thinking about please!

I had to go to theopenmat forums for the latest in that.

----

Learn anything?

I found out that dinosaurs walked the earth along side humans less than 6,000 years ago.

Nothing new on Ruth however.

Are there guys there that think the earth is flat?

Man....Garrett Scott.....I thought that kid was so good in high school.....I feel like I can see him wrestling Kellan Russell in my head. Can't I? Where was that? A dual? Big 10? It wasn't Nationals right? Scott lost to Rivera and someone he was way better than right? Did I dream the Kellan Russell match? No way I did. Someone tell me what I'm thinking about please!

lost to Manny Rivera secound rd. then i think he beat Adam Frey wrestle backs (RIP) and lost to a kid from Army cant remember his name, think he was one away from placing.

WOW - Nice post Dr. Gonzo. I agree with most of your post except for the bong part, only because it's still illegle in most states. I personally do not see a problem if a 21 year old has a few drinks, they are of legal age. I especially agree with your comment about athletes being role models.

I know of some wrestlers (a few NCAA Champs) that were able to drink heavily during the season, party all night and still perform at practice and in competition. There is a quite famous Iowa champ that has commented on his exploits. I also know wrestlers that enjoy alcohol as much as anyone, but make the comittment to be dry during the season. I had a discussion with a friend who enjoys having a good time. I was surprised that he agreed with the suspension, simply because it is a known team rule. I can appreciate that. I guess that if I was a coach, I would make sure that new recruites know and fully understand all the team rules and maybe make the kids sign a document.

It's a real shame when talented kids from any school pisses away great opportunities. One of the more recent ones that comes to mind is Garrett Scott. That kid was a very special talent. I think many fans only saw a good Scott but not a great Scott.

---

I agree about following team rules. Gotta have discipline. Beyond that, I don't mind a 21 yr old having alcohol, just so long as they're not behind the wheel. Anything involving DUI is serious and should be dealt with harshly, imo.

Don't know much about Scott, other than he was very highly touted coming out of HS. I do remember seeing him lose a very close match to Dan LeClere of Iowa in the B10 tourney. I think he lost to LeClere earlier in the dual as well.

lost to Manny Rivera secound rd. then i think he beat Adam Frey wrestle backs (RIP) and lost to a kid from Army cant remember his name, think he was one away from placing.

Matt Kyler from Army. As a junior, Kyler beat JO in the PIAA finals during JO's freshman season. The bracket that year also included Walter Peppelman and Nick Bedelyon.

http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/document ... AAA_Wr.pdf

Not really sure what suspensions other than team dismissal really does to the athlete per se when it is someone of Ed Ruth's prowess.

Think about it from his perspective:

Assume he suspends him for the rest of the semester regardless of the infraction.

-Does Ed care?? He'll still gets to compete in the Big 10 schedule and post season run.

-Does it really hurt the team?? Maybe for 1 dual (Iowa) 1st Semester is usually quiet for most teams anyway, everyone knows that the Scuffle and Midlands is when the season really begins.

Again, I appreciate the Discipline thing, it has to happen no doubt. I assume, and very well could be wrong, that whatever happened was something serious or this wouldn't be a story.

The term DUI has been floating around, so I'm just going to add something ... If in fact that is the case. A DUI from a legal perspective is a harsh and long term "deal" ... Not only Counseling, participation in recovery therapy, fines, AA or NA participation,and in most states a long term "mark" in/on your personal back ground record. Any future employer depending on their tolerance level may decline jobs, opportunities ect...They say a DUI is a $10K mistake. Actually in the long run it's a lot more then that.

Again .. "IF" this is the case, I would hope that PSU acknowledges the student is already in hot water, with a full plate now, dealing with the legal situation. A good therapy would be to get him back in the wrestling room and on the mat when it's reasonably appropriate, and keep him in the "fold" of the team environment.

There is no question it is a serious event. However ... The best medicine in not kicking the individual to the curb, but .. Surrounding him with support, and healthy guidelines. Regardless of your age.. 19yo or 50yo, it's a huge "recovery commitment", and lots of $$$ .

I've seen 1st hand how a DUI, can turn a person's life around 100% for the better or 100% for the worst depending on the treatment, and support or lack there of.

PS ...I work with guys in these situations.

The term DUI has been floating around, so I'm just going to add something ... If in fact that is the case. A DUI from a legal perspective is a harsh and long term "deal" ... Not only Counseling, participation in recovery therapy, fines, AA or NA participation,and in most states a long term "mark" in/on your personal back ground record. Any future employer depending on their tolerance level may decline jobs, opportunities ect...They say a DUI is a $10K mistake. Actually in the long run it's a lot more then that.

Again .. "IF" this is the case, I would hope that PSU acknowledges the student is already in hot water, with a full plate now, dealing with the legal situation. A good therapy would be to get him back in the wrestling room and on the mat when it's reasonably appropriate, and keep him in the "fold" of the team environment.

There is no question it is a serious event. However ... The best medicine in not kicking the individual to the curb, but .. Surrounding him with support, and healthy guidelines. Regardless of your age.. 19yo or 50yo, it's a huge "recovery commitment", and lots of $$$ .

I've seen 1st hand how a DUI, can turn a person's life around 100% for the better or 100% for the worst depending on the treatment, and support or lack there of.

PS ...I work with guys in these situations.

I agree with you 100%. The legal ramifications resulting from DUI's are SUBSTANTIAL. I can only speak for Michigan but, believe me, you pay a penalty and it follows you for life. There are only 3 things you cannot expunge from your record. Murder(several degrees), CSC(sexual misconduct) and Drunk driving. That should tell you how seriously it is taken. You may hear some big media story about someone getting in an accident with their 5th DUI, but trust me, they are outliers. The State of Michigan is handing out serious jail time for a multiple offense and mandatory revocation of licenses. If there isn't some kind of support for these people they are often FORCED by limited options to become worse instead of better. DUI has the potential to be a VERY BRUTAL crime. But at the same time it has the least likely intent to be a violent crime and is simply often a case of bad judgement.

I only say the above because I so often see people calling for expulsion for anyone who commits this offence. I truly think the opposite is best. The LEGAL SYSTEM makes sure they pay for the offence. The offence wasn't done to hurt the program. Supporting these people and helping them better themselves is not only better for the student but a positive mark on the program(as long as they don't ignore the issue).

I keep seeing the word "alcohol" thrown around here. No one knows what happened. All we know is that Cael stated on Tuesday that Ruth had been suspended for violating team rules "yesterday" (Monday).

What we know is that Ruth competed on Sunday and that between the time he left the Binghamton Open and sometime on Monday rules were violated. There is no Centre county police record citing Ruth for anything.

For all we know Ruth could have arrived home from the Bing Open late with or without friends and slept in and skipped practice and/or classes and this could be the violation that Cael was talking about. #nooneknows

pa-fan-Thank you dude!! That's been bothering me all morning.

Ski-As far as my usage of "alcohol" I'm saying I don't care if it was. I don't know. Ed could have done very few things where my opinion would be he should NOT wrestle. I want the best guys out there. I think it's very telling that almost everyone has said that Ruth SHOULD compete. I haven't even read one post bashing Cael, PSU, or Ruth over this. Can we all remember this the next time some kid (we won't name any schools here) shoots an f'ing animal out of season? I will reference back to this thread and the civility and I hope everyone else will too! Free Ed Ruth!!! Free Ed Ruth!!!