Sign in to follow this  
GockeS

AD at Nebraska

I was a little worried at first but Nebraska is a big ten school and they cannot drop wrestling.

Oh yes they can. There's no rule that says if you're in the Big Ten, you must sponsor wrestling.

It's funny how sticky this old myth is, eh?

I was a little worried at first but Nebraska is a big ten school and they cannot drop wrestling.

Oh yes they can. There's no rule that says if you're in the Big Ten, you must sponsor wrestling.

It's funny how sticky this old myth is, eh?

I'm good with it perpetuating as long as the Big 10 AD's seem to think its true also.

Perhaps some of TA's past accomplishments or lack thereof need to be communicated to the Board of Trustees, so that they do not make the same mistakes made by the UNO Trustees. From my recollection, his judgement leaves something to be desired and he is not exactly the type of individual anyone would want administering a budget the size of Nebraska's. This is probably an opportunity for the wrestling community to be proactive. However, might I suggest that this be done in an objective, thoughtful manner and that we keep the emotions and anger out of the discussion.

..I can't see how or why Nebraska would be willing to drop wrestling especially after having a World and Olympic Champion recently.

he already dropped a program the nite they won an NCAA team title.....if you don't think he would like to up the ante.....I have some swampland I would like to sell you. :-(

..I can't see how or why Nebraska would be willing to drop wrestling especially after having a World and Olympic Champion recently.

he already dropped a program the nite they won an NCAA team title.....if you don't think he would like to up the ante.....I have some swampland I would like to sell you. :-(

..is he the new athletic director?

..UNO isn't Nebraska Lincoln, and even if the jerk was the AD, do you really think the Cornhusker Nation would allow him to drop wrestling?

This guy is more interested in the minor league format for professional sports that generate a ton of revenue. I think he sees Olympic sports as draining towards those other goals. The athletic department is a business to him only, rather than a philosophy.

That he is even up for the position should be considered a threat considering how hard he pushed back on the wrestling community before.

I wonder how well Tom Osbourne and Trev Alberts get a long? I know Trev played for Osbourne back in the day. Is Trev someone Tom would recommend for the job? I like to think Tom Osbourne is smarter than this but it seems almost too perfect for Trev Alberts.

They did just completely remodel the Bob Devaney with a new wrestling room, locker room, wrestling offices. You would hope it is all for nothing.

One thing is for sure. Trev Alberts cannot be trusted.

I would hope that Nebraska has a good season in cootball, which would enhance Bo,Pellini's posisition. He is very friendly with Mark Manning. When Wade Walker was retiring as AD at OU, leon Cross associate Ad who had played for Bud Wilkinson and Donny Duncan who had been the wide receuvers coach under Barry Switzer were the funalist. Switzer wanted Dinny Duncan, sho got the job, he hired Howard Schnellenberger, then John Blake as headvfootball coaches after Gary Gibbs was fired. Lead to the wirst 5-yearvhistory in OU football. He also hired Jack Spates. In hindsight OU would have been much better off with Leon Cross as AD. I hope Nebraska dies not even cinsider Trey Alberts.

I would hope that Nebraska has a good season in cootball, which would enhance Bo,Pellini's posisition. He is very friendly with Mark Manning. When Wade Walker was retiring as AD at OU, leon Cross associate Ad who had played for Bud Wilkinson and Donny Duncan who had been the wide receuvers coach under Barry Switzer were the funalist. Switzer wanted Dinny Duncan, sho got the job, he hired Howard Schnellenberger, then John Blake as headvfootball coaches after Gary Gibbs was fired. Lead to the wirst 5-yearvhistory in OU football. He also hired Jack Spates. In hindsight OU would have been much better off with Leon Cross as AD. I hope Nebraska dies not even cinsider Trey Alberts.

Wow.

you would be surprised at the love for Trev here at cornhusker nation.

there isn't much love for wrestling.

many ppl defended his decision to cut wrestling. Ppl who are donors at UNL

they couldnt care less abt wrestling unless losing it would mean they can't tailgate at FB games.

i can't say if alberts would try to drop wrestling. I don't think so.

but why would we reward someone like that? with this job? any job?

regents, who are for ALL Un. of Neb schools, omaha, kearney and Lincoln, supported Alberts decision. and nearly refused to take a look at the situation.

some say alberts was in cahoots with osborne in the droppin of football ( I don't buy that) but it is out there.

currrently there is a case before a judge who has found something fishy about the disappearin emails, haven't heard anything in awhile about it tho

If Alberts gets the AD position at Nebraska I believe the wrestling program will be gone with in ten years. For those that know how it all went down at UNO it is well known that ALberts HATES wrestling. UNO had one of the most successful wrestling programs and coaches in any division with huge alum/community support but still Alberts got the program cut most of it for spite and jealousy of wrestling success there.

If Alberts gets the AD position at Nebraska I believe the wrestling program will be gone with in ten years. For those that know how it all went down at UNO it is well known that ALberts HATES wrestling. UNO had one of the most successful wrestling programs and coaches in any division with huge alum/community support but still Alberts got the program cut most of it for spite and jealousy of wrestling success there.

I think this is a fair assessment.

Albert's math regarding expense of a program must not include tuition from the wrestlers and donations from supporters.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110508/NEWS01/705089907/-1

Here....please read the above link which explains why TA dropped football and wrestling. For those of you that need a quick summary....football was dropped to facilitate the move to Division I. That was a strategic business decision, which is understandable. Moving to Division I will allow UNO to participate in March Madness, which obviously has a huge upside. However, dropping wrestling seemed like a move that was not critical to this process and that TA intends to replace it with soccer and golf. TA's purported reason was that the new DI conference for UNO did not support wrestling. HOWEVER, I believe everyone on this BB knows that the UNO wrestling team could have applied for and been accepted as an affiliate member in a variety of DI conferences, and the problem would have easily been solved. In fact it would have probably been less expensive than paying severance to the wrestling coaches and honoring scholarships. SO....when I look at this situation, coupled with the successful track record of UNO's wrestling program, I can only conclude that Trev Alberts HATES our sport!