Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

A non college wrestler is Bellator champion

Daniel Straus who was never even a state champion but won a high school national championship beat Pat Curran to win the Bellator featherweight title. I thought that was pretty cool to see, especially since he had a pretty rough high school career and never managed to wrestle in college. I only saw him wrestle against Duyn in the finals at senior nationals, heck of a match too, it was like 16-14 or something crazy. Did anybody else who's from Ohio see him wrestle ever? He looked like he stayed in good position and was very creative.

He was a few years older than me, but wrestled in the same conference as my high school he was just a freak athlete. He wrestled at state his junior year on a broken ankle and took 3rd. Senior year he was kicked out of school during the post season for some behavioral stuff, but he would have been in the hunt to win it that year. I believe he beat eventual champion Flake in a tight one at the conference meet a few weeks previous to the state tournament. He was actually the first person I had seen to that point do a back flip out of a high single, but what made it even crazier is it was during that match with the eventual state champion.

I think if I remember right Bobby Douglas was trying to get him to Iowa state but he couldn't get in, so he was supposed to go JUCO for two years somewhere in Iowa I think but never made it there. He was a nice guy who was willing to talk and work with a middle school kid like me at open mats. I think in the end he just had a rough upbringing that put him in some bad situations.