Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Jones' decision

I don't have FLO all access, but they currently have a video where Zeke Jones explains how he picked injured Burroughs to wrestle at the world championships. Can anyone who did watch the video explain how the decision was made?

I heard directly from Zeke (at a clinic he gave to coaches) that he told JB he had to see JB wrestle live in order to allow him to wrestle.

Basically, JB hadn't been with the team, the Russians and Iranians found out about his ankle, and there were a lot of rumors going on. When JB entered the training area for the first time, everybody was watching him to see how he looked. Zeke had JB wrestle live, and everybody knew that he was ready to go. I guess they were all shocked at how good he looked. Dake new immediately that JB was going to wrestle. Apparently, Dake was 100% ready to go.

I heard directly from Zeke (at a clinic he gave to coaches) that he told JB he had to see JB wrestle live in order to allow him to wrestle.

Basically, JB hadn't been with the team, the Russians and Iranians found out about his ankle, and there were a lot of rumors going on. When JB entered the training area for the first time, everybody was watching him to see how he looked. Zeke had JB wrestle live, and everybody knew that he was ready to go. I guess they were all shocked at how good he looked. Dake new immediately that JB was going to wrestle. Apparently, Dake was 100% ready to go.

If the Russians and Iranians knew about his ankle, that's unacceptable.

As for Dake, wow that would have been a crazy rollercoaster of emotions.

This whole Burroughs won a world championship with a broken ankle story is going to go down as another exaggerated fable...like the one about the Russians going door to door through their country to find someone who could beat Gable.

He didn't wrestle at worlds with a broken ankle. He broke his ankle and got it repaired before worlds. Big difference.

Yazdani also messed up his knee and got it repaired before worlds, and he won too. But you don't hear a big deal made about it.

The Yadzani thing WAS a pretty big deal, actually, with a lot of people talking about it ... just got overshadowed by Burroughs because this is an American site. I'm sure in Iran they are still talking about Yazdani. FWIW my favorite match from this years worlds was Yazdani vs Gayzumov- two greats going at it.

Cmon Burroughs is the best in the world P4P even Iran would concede that. I will concede that Yazdani is overall the best guy in the world if all wrestlers regardless of weight entered a tourney-he is a beast.

And comparing injuries, both were amazing! The knee is a much more important joint but his injury was last year while Burroughs did his a month before worlds!

The Olympic finals should have been Yazdani vs Varner-that was really too bad. Yazdani would have handled Varner I admit that. Yazdani needs to go to Heavyweight and challenge Gatsalov.

The thing is nobody is saying Yazdani won a world championship with a torn ACL like they keep saying Burroughs won it with a broken ankle.

With a broken ankle it would be almost impossible to win a match against a JV wrestler let alone against the best wrestlers in the world.

It's just plain ignorance and/or grandstanding on an old injury to make the win more "impressive". Winning a world championship is impressive enough but adding the "broken ankle" bit adds to the drama and folklore.

As the saying goes: "Repeat something that is false enough times like it's true and people will eventually believe it's really true."

The thing is nobody is saying Yazdani won a world championship with a torn ACL like they keep saying Burroughs won it with a broken ankle.

With a broken ankle it would be almost impossible to win a match against a JV wrestler let alone against the best wrestlers in the world.

It's just plain ignorance and/or grandstanding on an old injury to make the win more "impressive". Winning a world championship is impressive enough but adding the "broken ankle" bit adds to the drama and folklore.

As the saying goes: "Repeat something that is false enough times like it's true and people will eventually believe it's really true."

DF - Seriously - STFU. Everyone is aware of the timeline and it is amazing. He didn't break it that morning, we get it. It also wasn't a year ago. Do you wake up every day looking for something to piss on?

DF - Seriously - STFU. Everyone is aware of the timeline and it is amazing. He didn't break it that morning, we get it. It also wasn't a year ago.

Actually people are not aware of the timeline because they keep saying he won worlds with a broken ankle.

I'm just setting the record straight. Not sure why you're so angry at that.

This whole Burroughs won a world championship with a broken ankle story is going to go down as another exaggerated fable...like the one about the Russians going door to door through their country to find someone who could beat Gable.

He didn't wrestle at worlds with a broken ankle. He broke his ankle and got it repaired before worlds. Big difference.

Yazdani also messed up his knee and got it repaired before worlds, and he won too. But you don't hear a big deal made about it.

Well DumbFlucker, as one who was there during that time - it isn't a fable. Your 'door to door' is, but their scouring the clubs and mats is not.

Yes, Burroughs had a broken ankle well on the way to healing. Reports say he had screws or pins in it when he wrestled. He had not been on the mat competitively for some time before crunch time. What he did on an ankle still not fully healed was something that deserves mythical fables - but it is reality.

Well DumbFlucker, as one who was there during that time - it isn't a fable. Your 'door to door' is, but their scouring the clubs and mats is not.

The above is what I mean when I said if a fable is repeated enough times people will eventually believe it's true.

Gable had won 1 (yes ONE) world championship before the '72 olympics. Do you honestly think a country like Russia (USSR at the time) that had tons of world/olympic champions would go searching all their wrestling clubs to find a guy to beat somebody who had just ONE world title? Get real.

There were wrestlers from other countries at the '72 olympics who had also won one or more world titles. I guess the USSR went around searching their clubs to find wrestlers who could beat them too, right? How come you never hear about that? Because the whole fable is based on a brief comment one of the commentators made during the olympic finals match, and from there it got exaggerated into the legend it is.

I don't think that anyone in here is under the impression that the ankle wasn't under repair. It's the idea that any interruption like that would mean a serious disruption in his training schedule just before a world-level event. That is seriously impressive, especially given how dominating he was.

The above is what I mean when I said if a fable is repeated enough times people will eventually believe it's true.

Gable had won 1 (yes ONE) world championship before the '72 olympics. Do you honestly think a country like Russia (USSR at the time) that had tons of world/olympic champions would go searching all their wrestling clubs to find a guy to beat somebody who had just ONE world title? Get real.

There were wrestlers from other countries at the '72 olympics who had also won one or more world titles. I guess the USSR went around searching their clubs to find wrestlers who could beat them too, right? How come you never hear about that? Because the whole fable is based on a brief comment one of the commentators made during the olympic finals match, and from there it got exaggerated into the legend it is.

The Soviets did not go on a safari looking for unknown world-beaters in barns and hills. Their elite wrestlers were very well known to them.

If you believe the Soviets went searching the countryside for someone to beat Gable, then you also implicitly believe the Soviets did not know who their best wrestlers were leading up to the 1972 Olympics, and that not all their best guys competed in well-known tournaments like Tbilisi. That is not a likely scenario.

The Soviets did not go on a safari looking for unknown world-beaters in barns and hills. Their elite wrestlers were very well known to them.

If you believe the Soviets went searching the countryside for someone to beat Gable, then you also implicitly believe the Soviets did not know who their best wrestlers were leading up to the 1972 Olympics, and that not all their best guys competed in well-known tournaments like Tbilisi. That is not a likely scenario.

Well you're wrong according to the great legend of '72. The Soviets apparently searched far and wide to find that one special wrestler in their entire country who could maybe beat Gable. They didn't care about all the other world/olympic champions from other countries who would also be wrestling at the '72 olympics...all they cared about was finding somebody who could possibly defeat Gable.

Win Magazine, October 4, 2013

Wrestling With A Legend (interview with Dan Gable)

WIN: "Regarding Burroughs, how do you rank him against the all-time best Americans, considering he won on a broke [sic] ankle?"[/i]

GABLE: "He's right up there. I think his undefeated record is unique. One still needs to look at (World/Olympic) titles and longevity of someone like John Smith or Bruce Baumgartner, The big thing I noticed is that he dominated the tough matches. I do believe he dominated this tournament. There was a couple of times during the tournament where he had to turn on his scrambling ability to prevent from getting scored on. He's doing really well and it's important to have a leader like that. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he wrestled first, won and how the others would have wrestled. The fact that he won a medal after the other six got shut out showed his abilities."

Conclusions:

1. Burroughs ankle was broke when he wrestled at Worlds. That is stated in WIN magazine, hence it must be true.

2. There are a lot of errors in WIN, even the issue referenced above indicates in the table of contents, that Wrestling With a Legend is on page 7...but it is actually on page 8. I have seen captions beside photos naming the wrong wrestler in the photo, results listing the wrong teams, and many words spelt wrong. But this is no reason to doubt them, Burroughs had a broke ankle.

3. Gable doesn't mention no broke ankle, even though he was specifically asked to consider it.

There is a serious leak problem if people outside the inner circle knew about the broken ankle. Athletes, coaches, trainers, etc need to learn to keep their mouths shut.

go back and check the dates on the threads, many of those IDIOTS were on here posting it prior to worlds

I don't think that anyone in here is under the impression that the ankle wasn't under repair. It's the idea that any interruption like that would mean a serious disruption in his training schedule just before a world-level event. That is seriously impressive, especially given how dominating he was.

I agree with the above statement. Dude broke his foot/ankle 26 days out from worlds, he had surgery and pins were put in, that's enough to turn any mortal man away from doing much of anything for six weeks let alone defend a world champions ship title, he couldn't walk for two weeks, he had to stay in shape through that time of recovery and want to compete let alone win, he didn't wrestle live until three days before competition, and he still won a world championship. That's pretty friggin impressive in my book. How many other wrestlers would have hung up their shoes for the rest of the year, let alone how many civilians (non-wrestlers). DF, can you honestly say that's not impressive?

If you want to compare it to a Karate Kid/Mark Perry type of situation, fair enough, but comparisons are odious, and I think given how many outs Burroughs had, and how much the entire wrestling community would have given him a pass (dude broke his ankle), I think he accomplished something pretty special.

Tony is exactly right. The ankle was broken less than a month before Worlds. With surgery and metallic hardware put in the bones, the ankle wasn't fully healed in 4 weeks. It was partially healed. And of course training would've been limited.

Hard to belittle what Burroughs accomplished. He is right up there with the best all time from USA. With one more World or Olympic gold, it moves him higher than anyone except Smith or Baumgartner. And so far undefeated!

As far as Gable, besides winning World the year prior to Olympics, he won Tiblisi, which was a very tough (loaded with USSR's best). Reportedly, he was awarded a bearskin coat, and won over many Russian fans. The Soviets very much wanted to find someone to beat him in the coming Olympics.

Well you're wrong according to the great legend of '72. The Soviets apparently searched far and wide to find that one special wrestler in their entire country who could maybe beat Gable. They didn't care about all the other world/olympic champions from other countries who would also be wrestling at the '72 olympics...all they cared about was finding somebody who could possibly defeat Gable.

You are trolling, but really good at it. I usually don't like trolls but I do appreciate even dubious talents.