Sign in to follow this  
tec87

#5's go down at EMU duals

Some notable upsets so far at the EMU duals.

#5 Grajales of Michigan loses 5-4 to Gabe Morse of Northern Illinois at 149

Returning AA and #5 Pena of Oregon State loses 5-4 to Ryan Watts of Michigan State at 157.

Clearly no one on staff has found the magical button to push that will convince Grajalas to work to the level that will allow him to live up to the loads of potential he has. If the previous setbacks didn't do the trick, I'm not sure this setback will do anymore to help him flip the switch.

I think that Grajales just needs another year of maturity to pull it all together.

Not sure if that was completely serious or not, but he's a red shirt senior so his time for gaining that maturity is getting shorter. That's been one of the common statement for the last two season, but yet their still seemed to be something with him getting in his own way. His overall record has remains basically the same over the years usually having a very successful regular season. Which makes this rough start a little more worrisome when compared to years past. Usually his big issue is the regression that occurs at the end of the season come tournament time where he has fell backward each year of the Big 10s (2nd, to 3rd, to 7th last year) and has yet to place in NCAA's. Michigan definitely needs to employ a high profile sports psychologist and if they have already went that route I'm not sure their is much else that can be done if Grajales isn't willing or able to figure something more out. The rebuilding phase of Michigan was suppose to be aided by Grajales growth, but over the last two season his roller coaster ride matches seems to be a part time hindrance to their efforts.

MadMard, I was not serious, the kid came from a school that red shirts the whole team in HS while the Grajales and Brandon fans continued to claim that there is no competitive advantage to holding back a HS kid. Brandon enjoyed "the streak" with very few future college AA's to show for it. Grajales was like 20 when he entered Michigan and then took a redshirt.

Why can't Grajales make 141 ?

It honestly just seems to be mental at this point. He is a 2 time rd of 12 and was rd of 16 last year. So he obviously has the skills by those results and from his notable wins but it just seems to be mental and and possibly a loss of drive. He might be burnt out at this point and just wants to finish his career and move on. He used to compete in greco in the off-season and I haven't noticed him do that in a few years either.

Based on past results he's been good to help with the team success, but has declined by the time the season comes to a close. Looks at that I'd almost consider finding a way to keep him out of most of the regular season competition and focus on getting him mental and physical prepared for an end of the season run that includes a decent Big 10 and NCAA finish. (Maybe give him some time to clear his mind by going skateboarding or something :D ) Unless, the coaching staff as already resigned to the fact that they can use him as a contribute to some dual meet wins but not much they do can be done to help him get any further individual at this point.