Sign in to follow this  
OKnowwhut

George wins into retirement?

Johny won rounds 1-2-4. 3 and 5 were close, and I had them one for GSP and one too close for me to call.

This was the kind of robbery that ruined boxing for me. I went to a theater and saw it on the I max big screen. Only about a hundred people, but it was obvious that I wasn't just looking at it through my Cowboy eyes. What fight could the judges possibly have been watching. Johny won the striking, the wrestling, he was the aggressor, he dominated on the fence, he scored all of the meaningful blows in the fight, he cut him, he elbowed him and knee'd him more effectively, and surprisingly he was barely hit the whole fight. Really a mystery how anyone could see it different.

The difference in that fight was round #1. The two judges who scored the fight for GSP had him winning that round.

Apparently you can get your butt out struck 2-1 with the other guy landing the heavy shots and still win the round if the judges are members of your fan club.

GSP number of strikes (though most did little to affect Hendricks) and whatever he did in round 1 to win the judges favor was the different in scoring for the decision. GSP then with the cryptic semi-retirement message which may have at least been slightly spurred on by the beating he took along with whatever "personal issues" he was talking about.

It was absolutely disgusting and the last UFC card I will ever buy. Perhaps it was cosmic payback for the Churella match? Regardless, I feel like contesting the $54.99 charge on my cable bill. I'm so mad I have no chance of falling asleep any time soon.

Copy/paste from somewhere I was browsing. Is this legit?

Media Score cards. No one had the fight for GSP:

Adam Martin

Sportsnet.ca 47-48 Hendricks

Nathan McCarter

BleacherReport.com 47-48 Hendricks

Craig Amos

BleacherReport.com 47-48 Hendricks

Luke Thomas

MMAFighting.com 47-48 Hendricks

Brent Brookhouse

BloodyElbow.com 47-48 Hendricks

MMAWeekly.com 47-48 Hendricks

Mike Whitman

Sherdog.com 47-48 Hendricks

Chris Nelson

Jordan Breen

MMAJunkie.com 47-48 Hendricks

Chase Raymond

BJPenn.com 47-48 Hendricks

John Pollock

Fight Network 47-48 Hendricks

Jason Floyd

TheMMAReport.com 47-48 Hendricks

Tim Burke

BloodyElbow.com 47-48 Hendricks

Cory Braiterman

MMAMania.com 47-48 Hendrick

Hendricks won rounds 1, 2, and 4. GSP won 3 and 5. I am very confident about this. Ariel Helwani is reporting GSP's own camp told him after round 3 he was down 2 rounds to 1. And everybody thinks Hendricks won round 4. This was a close fight, but I don't see how GSP won.

It's not cool to deny Hendricks a rematch, especially after he made Hendricks wait to fight until after the whole ridiculous Nick Diaz fight. Nick Diaz was never going to win, and he was coming off a loss and long suspension.

Let's assume GSP must give up his belt while he steps away. Had Rory MacDonald won, we definitely would be seeing a Rory-Hendricks fight. Now? I think the best possibilities are Maia and Lawler. Nobody else on the UFC roster makes sense.

This also makes it more intriguing as to whether Askren gets to sign with the UFC. Askren makes an intriguing matchup against Hendricks for the title. There is a great wrestling story line. But it might prove to be bad business if they think Askren can beat anybody with his grappling game. Askren better start talking to the press if he wants to sign sooner rather than later.

I was pulling like crazy for GSP to win but I had Hendricks winning 1,2 and 4 pretty clearly. I'll rewatch the first two rounds though, maybe I missed something. GSP had a choke locked up in the first and controlled the second half of the second, though IMO Hendricks took them both with harder strikes. 3 was clearly GSP, 4 was clearly Hendricks, 5 was a wrestling/grappling round which I thought GSP won.

Wonder what will happen now with GSP stepping away. Clearly Hendricks will fight for the Interm (or regular) title again, if they don't just give it to him. Against Lawler maybe?

Dana White said the Nevada Athletic Commission is incompetent, and he's scared of having fights there. He said the NSAC is ruining MMA like they ruined boxing.

Dana said he thought Hendricks won, and almost everybody he talked to agrees.

He also said GSP owes Hendricks a rematch, and GSP needs to either retire or fight Johny again.

Interesting stuff.

Dana White said the Nevada Athletic Commission is incompetent, and he's scared of having fights there. He said the NSAC is ruining MMA like they ruined boxing.

Dana said he thought Hendricks won, and almost everybody he talked to agrees.

He also said GSP owes Hendricks a rematch, and GSP needs to either retire or fight Johny again.

Interesting stuff.

I don't think its necessarily the judges fault as much as it is the scoring systems fault. They don't do enough to distinguish between a contact strike and a damaging strike on the score card. They don't establish a clear ruling on what should be considered a useful takedown compared to just being on top of a guy and then scrambling back up. They don't do enough to establish what counts as a damaging submission attempt compared to just having a lock around someone. And they definitely don't do enough to make sure all the rounds aren't automatically 10-9. If you barely win a round thats a 10-9 round. If you control 60% to 70% of the round that should be 10-8 and if you control over 70% of the round that should be 10-7. Make fighters pay for not doing anything in a round and force them to push the action. All 10-9 does is make you realize the fights close all the way to the end and you can hang out and try to sneak out a victory by just landing a few late round shots. Judges can only go by the system established and only on a few occasion have we seen a particular judge mess things up. In most cases is the scoring system that is causing many of these controversies.

Highway Robbery! Hendricks should get a place in the fight for a vacant title if Dana makes GSP vacate it, which I hope Dana does.

No Hendricks shouldn't have to fight for the vacant title. If GSP steps away for awhile, Hendricks should just be handed the vacant/interim title and let things go on from here. Nobody would argue because Hendricks is indeed the champ!!!

Agreed texh87... Hendricks should be interm champ. Lawler should get first shot at him IMO while Rory, Condit, Brown, Askren, Maia, Shields, Woodley and Lombard fight an elimination tournament to see who is next. Give GSP a year to decide if he wants to return, then he either gives up the belt or fights the interm champion.