Sign in to follow this  
10point

Russian dual

I saw the webcast of the second dual.

Most impressive Russian: Aleksandr Bogomoev. Just rock solid in every position. Workmanlike tech.

Most impressive American: Clayton Foster. I was really surprised. He dominated the match and the tie-ups and ended with a bang by lateral dropping the Russian for the tech.

I was most looking forward to seeing Dake, who won on two pushouts to one. He couldn't get any penetration on his shots, although the Russian was playing a very tight defensive game plan, even as he was down into the final minute of the match. The Russian got in deep on a double once but Dake defended with his crazy hips and scrambling. I thought this was a fairly poor effort by Dake, and was definitely hoping to see more. He just couldn't get anything going and simply outhorsed the Russian despite being in danger of getting taken down twice during lapses in positioning.

Flo just posted the Dake match for non-subscribers.

A solid match for Dake. He came out aggressive and got a couple nice push outs, but then settled into a more defensive mode. No real fireworks, but generally you don't get fireworks from Dake against good opponents unless he gets behind. He's very comfortable sitting on a 2-0 or 2-1 lead and making the other guy work. As a fan, I'd love to see him open up a bit more, but from a coach's perspective I thought he wrestled really smart and managed the match well. He held really good position and he set the pace without being overly aggressive. He can play the Russians' game.

Flo just posted the Dake match for non-subscribers.

A solid match for Dake. He came out aggressive and got a couple nice push outs, but then settled into a more defensive mode. No real fireworks, but generally you don't get fireworks from Dake against good opponents unless he gets behind. He's very comfortable sitting on a 2-0 or 2-1 lead and making the other guy work. As a fan, I'd love to see him open up a bit more, but from a coach's perspective I thought he wrestled really smart and managed the match well. He held really good position and he set the pace without being overly aggressive. He can play the Russians' game.

IMO he capitalized on the Russian's aggressiveness more than he did his own.