Sign in to follow this  
papride

Cowburn out @PSU

Dirk Cowburn, who was the sixth-ranked wrestler at any weight by Intermat coming out of Coudersport High School in 2010, has left the program, a spokesman for the Nittany Lions confirmed.

Cowburn remains enrolled at Penn State and will focus on his studies. Cowburn was in a tough spot where the odds were against him cracking the starting dual-meet lineup.

Having already redshirted during his freshman season in 2010-11, Cowburn found himself behind All-Americans and defending national champions David Taylor and Ed Ruth, both juniors, at 165 and 174 pounds, respectively. The ascension of redshirt sophomore Matt Brown, who is expected to slot in at 174 pounds with Ruth bumping up to 184, left little room for Cowburn to make an impact as an everyday starter.

Cowburn still led a successful two-year career as a Nittany Lion wrestler. He went 26-4 overall as an unattached wrestler. He won the East Stroudsburg Open in 2010.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/27/3351025/mcintosh-to-redshirt-for-nittany.html#storylink=cpy

I'd like to see someone like Edinboro swoop in and snag this kid. I think he can succeed at this level. I kind of feel bad for him. I believe he was recruited by Mark Perry before Cael came in and brought some guy from ISU with him around Cowburns weight. If these facts are incorrect someone, please, correct me. If he stays at PSU and never wrestles another match, then oh well, not the first or last extremely talented wrestler to never make a splash at the D1 level. Someone get in there and grab this kid before it's too late!!!

I'd like to see someone like Edinboro swoop in and snag this kid. I think he can succeed at this level. I kind of feel bad for him. I believe he was recruited by Mark Perry before Cael came in and brought some guy from ISU with him around Cowburns weight. If these facts are incorrect someone, please, correct me. If he stays at PSU and never wrestles another match, then oh well, not the first or last extremely talented wrestler to never make a splash at the D1 level. Someone get in there and grab this kid before it's too late!!!
Gonzo, I believe you and scribe both have it right. The handwriting was on the wall that he was an unlikely starter, unless there was an injury. But it wasn't just DT that was in the way...so was Matt Brown (174). As a result, he may have lost interest. He's a great kid, by ALL accounts, and I wish him well.

I believe Cowburn signed the same time the Alton's did, so this would have been after Cael was coaching at Penn St.

But you are correct he can succeed at the Div 1 level, and I hope he changes his mind and decides to wrestle some where else.

his record looks pretty good. he would have done better at another school but if he is at 165 i am not sure he would have started at edinboro with gresh or clarion with the russian or at lock haven with the other penn state transfer. would he start at bloom? not at lehigh. idk about pitt.

does he really have that many options?

he would probably be a stud at cleveland state but then he is out of state.

lowrider-You may be correct about when he signed, but I'm pretty sure he was recruited by Mark Perry. I'm almost certain I've heard Perry confirm this in an interview. I want to say Perry had at least 3 guys committed before he left and one of them was Cowburn. Maybe Sherlock too? Again if anyone has a better memory than I do please correct me.

It sounds like Cowburn has decided to hang it up. He's already completed three years of classes and the newspaper said he's currently enrolled at Penn State and focusing on his studies. If he were to transfer elsewhere, I think he'd have to sit out a year and pay his own way (which would include out-of-state tuition if not a Pennsylania school.) Then, he'd have only one year of eligibility remaining.

By all accounts he's a quality young man and it's too bad we may not get to see him competing as a starter at Penn State or elsewhere. However, I wish him well in whatever his futue plans may be.

lowrider-You may be correct about when he signed, but I'm pretty sure he was recruited by Mark Perry. I'm almost certain I've heard Perry confirm this in an interview. I want to say Perry had at least 3 guys committed before he left and one of them was Cowburn. Maybe Sherlock too? Again if anyone has a better memory than I do please correct me.

According to his hometown paper, Cowburn committed to Penn State about 3 months after Mark Perry had already left the program.

That said, I'd be surprised if Perry - and in particular Matt Dernlan - weren't already trying to recruit the top in-state Pennyslvania talent prior to Sanderson's arrival as head coach. I believe Perry may have said something along those lines in an interview, as well as indicating he was glad Sanderson brought in several of those recruits. (Perhaps that's the same interview you're referencing, although we apparently remember it differently in some respects.)

Much respect to Mr. Cowburn (Cleveland State) on your success in open events and your decision to focus on your studies (Cleveland State). Your are showing a great deal of maturity (Cleveland State) and character (Vikings--Green and White). Should you decide to wrestle elsewhere (downtown Cleveland), I'm sure you will do well (they desperately need some good wrestlers).

It sounds like Cowburn has decided to hang it up. He's already completed three years of classes and the newspaper said he's currently enrolled at Penn State and focusing on his studies. If he were to transfer elsewhere, I think he'd have to sit out a year and pay his own way (which would include out-of-state tuition if not a Pennsylania school.) Then, he'd have only one year of eligibility remaining.

By all accounts he's a quality young man and it's too bad we may not get to see him competing as a starter at Penn State or elsewhere. However, I wish him well in whatever his futue plans may be.

Actually, he should be able to transfer immediately and get/use scholarship money elsewhere if it is a)available and b)offered to him.

Actually, he should be able to transfer immediately and get/use scholarship money elsewhere if it is a)available and b)offered to him.

Thanks, you're right. I was thinking the rule was the same as it is for basketball players. Cowburn would only need permission to use the one-time transfer exception and would have two years of eligibility remaining, not just one. That might make it more likely that he would decide to continue his wrestling career elsewhere, but it still doesn't sound like that's in the cards. But, one never knows.

Why would he transfer when he is only a year away from graduating from Penn State? Wrestling is important to us, but it sounds like he sees the bigger picture. No offense, but a degree from Edinboro or Cleveland State doesn't quite stand up to a degree from PSU.

Why would he transfer when he is only a year away from graduating from Penn State? Wrestling is important to us, but it sounds like he sees the bigger picture. No offense, but a degree from Edinboro or Cleveland State doesn't quite stand up to a degree from PSU.

That's what I was thinking as well ..... He's so close to his degree, why risk credits, not transferring, costs of transfer $$, etc ... It's a pain in the butt to transfer from an academic standpoint if you don't have all the "I's dotted' and the "T's crossed" ...

That is one HELLA tough wrestling room....

^^^Dirk Cowburn has made his wrestling statement. He won the PIAA AA's in 2008 and 2009, placed second in the 2010 PIAA AA's, won most of his bouts while competing unatt at Penn State, had two years on the NCAA championship team. If Cowburn now had a burning desire to soldier on, he could stay on the Penn State team and theoretically start at 165 his senior year of eligibility (2015), after Taylor graduates. There are excellent wrestlers in excellent Div I programs, who put in their time then start and excell as seniors.

Yes, if Cowburn wanted to transfer in-state Div I and contiue to wrestle, he is well aware of universities where he could start as soon as he'd be released from PSU. Also, like I said, if he wanted to start for Penn State, he could soldier through the next several years, then have the rep of having started a year for one of the best wrestling programs in the nation.

The two toughest Potter County (PA) natives? Don Hoak (Pittsburgh Pirates early 1960's) and DIRK COWBURN. I wish Dirk Cowburn the very best!

Cowburn came in with the Altons and is just starting his 3rd year at PSU.

His major is Forestry, not something you can find at every university. That may have played a factor here.

Cowburn came in with the Altons and is just starting his 3rd year at PSU.

His major is Forestry, not something you can find at every university. That may have played a factor here.

Thanks for the correct info, Flying Tiger. I thought Cowburn had already been at Penn State 3 years, as the official Penn State website lists 2009-10 as his first year of collegiate action (link here). However, that was actually his senior year in high school. Cowburn, Sherlock, and the Altons were all part of the same recruiting class and signed with Penn State as high school seniors in the fall of 2009.

BTW, that brings up an interesting question. What's the correct class designation for guys who have redshirted? I've seen it listed in different ways, but I assume that the Altons (for example) are currently redshirt sophomores. If so, that raises another question, namely what were they considered during their redshirt seasons? Looking at Andrew Alton, we have:

2010-11: Freshman year, 16-5 record, NCAA Qualifier ("true freshman")

2011-12: Redshirt year, ("sophomore" or "second-year freshman" or "second year student"?)

2012-13: Redshirt sophomore year ("redshirt sophomore")

2013-14: Redshirt junior year ("redshirt junior")

2014-15: Redshirt senior year ("redshirt senior")

If the Altons are both currently considered as "redshirt sophomores," then what were they during their redshirt years (keeping in mind that Dylan redshirted as a freshman)?

2010-11: Andrew was a "true freshman." Dylan was simply a "freshman who redshirted." He was neither a "true freshman," nor was he a "redshirt freshman." (That sounds strange since Dylan was, in fact, a freshman who took a redshirt that year. Nonetheless, I think neither term is applicable to his situation.)

2011-12: Andrew was a "sophomore" who redshirted. (Or, instead of a "sophomore," was he a "second-year freshman" or simply a "second-year student" during the 2011-12 season when he redshirted?)

Dylan, on the other hand, was a "redshirt freshman" during that season. (Which is another reason he couldn't have been a "redshirt freshman" during his freshman year when he actually redshirted. LOL!)

2012-13: Now, they're both "redshirt sophomores" (and I have a headache).