Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

100 bonus point wins

David Taylor @magicman_psu tweeted:

Today was my 100th career bonus point win in college.. I'm so grateful for the opportunities to wear the PENN STATE singlet! #weare

Pretty impressive, especially this early in his final season

If he's a once in a generation talent, then how did he beat by Dake...? Or is Dake a once in a lifetime talent? Or what about Burroughs?

Point being, he's great but he's not that great (2nd best on his team and top 10 past 10 years but that's not once in a generation)

If he's a once in a generation talent, then how did he beat by Dake...? Or is Dake a once in a lifetime talent? Or what about Burroughs?

Point being, he's great but he's not that great (2nd best on his team and top 10 past 10 years but that's not once in a generation)

"he's great but not that great..."

What a joke of a post. The kid has 100 BONUS POINT WINS wrestling in D1 - and it is a few days into his final season. No matter who he lost to and/or beat...that is GREAT. Period.

Your qualification of "not THAT great" is absolutely ridiculous. Your hatred of Taylor and/or Penn State can not shine through enough.

100 bonus point wins. Not just 100 wins, 100 bonus point wins. Bringing up guys you think are better than him in response to this topic is a joke.

He is not a once in a generation talent! That's all I'm saying! He's an absolute monster and the second best wrestler in college right now and the best one actually wrestling (Stieber is not even close IMO). Let's calm down and realize what I'm actually saying.

He is not a once in a generation talent! That's all I'm saying! He's an absolute monster and the second best wrestler in college right now and the best one actually wrestling (Stieber is not even close IMO). Let's calm down and realize what I'm actually saying.

I know what you are saying, and also most likely why you are saying it.

The same reason scribe thinks Taylor tweeting about his 100th bonus point win, IMMEDIATELY followed by how grateful he is to be at Penn State, somehow equates to him patting himself on the back.

Silly.

:?

Also, if you want to get technical....he would be a once in a generation talent. You can have multiple "once in a generation talents" in the same generation. Simply do the math, figure out how many D1 wrestlers per generation...then take all the wrestlers with Taylor's accomplishments / ability....and compare the numbers. Im sure he would fall well within the "once per generation" range....As would Kyle Dake - who just happens to be in the same generation.

What a joke of a post. The kid has 100 BONUS POINT WINS wrestling in D1 - and it is a few days into his final season. No matter who he lost to and/or beat...that is GREAT. Period.

Your qualification of "not THAT great" is absolutely ridiculous. Your hatred of Taylor and/or Penn State can not shine through enough.

100 bonus point wins. Not just 100 wins, 100 bonus point wins. Bringing up guys you think are better than him in response to this topic is a joke.

Actually if you look at what he said with NO BIAS, where can you say he was wrong? What is the definition of "once in a generation talent"? Taylor is WITHOUT a doubt a phenomenal talent. However, you can't call him a once in a generation talent when Sanderson, Dake and even Pat Smith all fall into THIS generation. That doesn't even count guys like Ruth and other 3 time or possible 3 time champs. Now if you want to say what Taylor does to inferior competition is once in a generation I would agree. He is a scoring machine in near perpetual motion.

With all that said, it would have been alot cooler if the tweet came from PSU admins or someone OTHER than Taylor. Fans of wrestling have the RIGHT to critique what the athletes say and do. Wrestling is NOT above or immune to this. Critiquing Taylor for tweeting his accomplishment or for someone like snapspinscore ARBITRARILY calling EVERYONE who does so douche bags doesn't mean you HATE PSU OR Taylor.

Taylor is WITHOUT a doubt a phenomenal talent. However, you can't call him a once in a generation talent when Sanderson, Dake and even Pat Smith all fall into THIS generation.

Yes, I can call him that. I have already explained why - if you can read and understand what I wrote...along with fairly simply math...you will see why I can call him once in a generation even though there are multiple other talents in the same generation.

Another aside...I think your "generation" definition may be a little too wide...putting all these guys in the same generation. Pat Smith is easily old enough to be Taylor's dad...how would they be the same generation?

Actually if you look at what he said with NO BIAS, where can you say he was wrong? What is the definition of "once in a generation talent"? Taylor is WITHOUT a doubt a phenomenal talent. However, you can't call him a once in a generation talent when Sanderson, Dake and even Pat Smith all fall into THIS generation. That doesn't even count guys like Ruth and other 3 time or possible 3 time champs. Now if you want to say what Taylor does to inferior competition is once in a generation I would agree. He is a scoring machine in near perpetual motion.

With all that said, it would have been alot cooler if the tweet came from PSU admins or someone OTHER than Taylor. Fans of wrestling have the RIGHT to critique what the athletes say and do. Wrestling is NOT above or immune to this. Critiquing Taylor for tweeting his accomplishment or for someone like snapspinscore ARBITRARILY calling EVERYONE who does so douche bags doesn't mean you HATE PSU OR Taylor.

Thank you for understanding what I was saying. I am a huge DT fan and will absolutely root for him to win a title this year and attempt to bonus everyone but I don't have the PSU goggles on so I guess that means I hate him.

You guys realize how futile it is to reason with pa-fan about David Taylor?

It's better to just let him believe.

Starting to understand the "once in a generation, multiple times in the same generation" and "100 year storm every 5 years" idea...so you are shifting the focus of your comments?

Nicely done.

Starting to understand the "once in a generation, multiple times in the same generation" and "100 year storm every 5 years" idea...so you are shifting the focus of your comments?

Nicely done.

First off, depending on what dictionary you use 30 years is the most accepted range for a "Generation". I cannot find Taylor's birthday but considering Smith was born Sept. 21, 1970 I would say he would be considerably younger than the average age a parent has a child. So let's say we use 25 years as an acceptable range. You only have 4 generations wrestled in NCAA history. Your argument weakens when I get to add Hodge, Uetake, Gable and all the other 3 timers or wrestlers with higher winning percentages. If you want to change the definition to suit you feel free. However, a storm is, BY DEFINITION, no longer a 100 year storm if it consistently happens every 5 years. The same applies when there are a multitude of wrestlers in the AVAILABLE generations that can easily be argued as comparable if not better than Taylor.

David Taylor is great. I would even say he is amazing. All I pointed out was it can EASILY be argued he is not once in a generation AND it is NOT being said with an OUNCE of hate. Why are you so quick to take offense and try to insult in return? You get to benefit, as a fan, from having him wrestle at PSU. He will most likely be a major contributor to 4 Team Championships. I would be ecstatic to have someone of his caliber at MSU. Minkle would ruin him, but that is besides the point. You can let something as trivial as where he falls into the "Generation" rankings bother you or simply be happy he is part of your team instead of anyone else's.

Nicely done.

First off, depending on what dictionary you use 30 years is the most accepted range for a "Generation". I cannot find Taylor's birthday but considering Smith was born Sept. 21, 1970 I would say he would be considerably younger than the average age a parent has a child. So let's say we use 25 years as an acceptable range. You only have 4 generations wrestled in NCAA history. Your argument weakens when I get to add Hodge, Uetake, Gable and all the other 3 timers or wrestlers with higher winning percentages. If you want to change the definition to suit you feel free. However, a storm is, BY DEFINITION, no longer a 100 year storm if it consistently happens every 5 years. The same applies when there are a multitude of wrestlers in the AVAILABLE generations that can easily be argued as comparable if not better than Taylor.

David Taylor is great. I would even say he is amazing. All I pointed out was it can EASILY be argued he is not once in a generation AND it is NOT being said with an OUNCE of hate. Why are you so quick to take offense and try to insult in return? You get to benefit, as a fan, from having him wrestle at PSU. He will most likely be a major contributor to 4 Team Championships. I would be ecstatic to have someone of his caliber at MSU. Minkle would ruin him, but that is besides the point. You can let something as trivial as where he falls into the "Generation" rankings bother you or simply be happy he is part of your team instead of anyone else's.

First, "generaiton" is most commonly defined by offspring...not by a set number of years. One generation is born from the previous generation.

Second, you saying there have only been 4 generation of NCAA wrestlers is invalid to the argument I made. When I said "once in a generation" I made the argument that multiple "once in a generation - ers" can be in the same generation, considering averaging and total numbers...NOT the finite number we have had SO FAR.

Third, I am changing no definitions at all. I don't even know where you got that idea.

Fourth, a "100 year" storm can happen consistently (even though you threw that word in yourself, since it wasn't there to start) every 5 years for a finite period of time...and still be a "100 year storm" based on it's severity - which is why it is called that. Because given enough time, a storm of that severity will happen ON AVERAGE, only once every 100 years - regardless if it happened 5 times in the last 25 years. The same reason, as I have already explained, you can have multiple "once in a generation' wrestlers within the same generation.

You claim I am changing definitions and arguments...when you are the one adding words to twist things to fit your argument. Words like "consistently" and "Available (generations)". When you add those words you are countering an argument I never even made.

I have him as something like a 5X per generation guy. If I'm thinking back over 20 year periods, which has always been my definition of generation, we only get a few like him. And yes, to the poster that asked if Dake is a once in a lifetime. I'd say something like a top 10-20 in a lifetime type guy for him too. One of the all timers. Taylor is just absolutely amazing. I followed him through his freshman year, waiting to see him at the NCAA. He was a man amongst boys at that time. I thought he would major Bubba, but I was proven very wrong. I've gone every year since Cael was a sophomore to the big dance. What amazes me is how often I believe someone is a once in a lifetimer. Fugita Kellers, Smith, Brands, Smith, Brands, Kemp, Gable, Sanderson, Lewis, Banach, Schultz, Dake, Taylor, Ruth, Stieber...Jordan Burroughs.

I also would like to point out to all you guys in the "He can't be once in a generation because there are others just as good/better in his generation" camp...

By that rationalization...."once in a generation" almost does not even exist. Pat Smith and Cael Sanderson are in the "same generation". So, one of the 4 timers is left off the list? And, by some of your definitions Kyle Dake is also in their generation...so TWO of the 4-timers are now left off the list?

It's amazing how eager some are to tear him down. He is one of the most exciting wrestlers in years, but the team he is on blinds some with hatred.

107-3 with 42 pins, 35 tech falls and 23 majors

Anyhow, quick calculations show:

Dake - 83 bonus point wins (4 yrs)

Ruth - 76 bonus point wins (3 yrs)

Stieber - 58 bonus point wins (2+ yrs)