Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

100 bonus point wins

As I read through this thread I saw A LOT of good posts. For once I didn't have to do all the dirty work and take all the backlash. I do think a lot of people are super sensitive to criticism of David Taylor. To a lot of you I'm a David Taylor hater (even though I don't feel that way personally). So coming from a hater my thoughts on DT are this, he's Ben Askren and Jake Varner. That is an awesome accomplishment to be in the same conversation as those two! I certainly wouldn't say he's a once in a generation talent any more than Askren and Varner were. I'd say Ruth is much more worthy of that praise. Dake certainly is. None of this makes DT suck. I hope none of you guys are ever afraid to call Taylor what he is for fear of the ridicule you'll receive on this message board. That would be sad. DT is very good. He's not as good as some think but he's very good. Other than PSU fans I don't think that many people who've met him or heard him speak would say he falls into the "humble" category but I really don't care about that. I don't need my wrestlers to be humble. Askren isn't humble. I need my wrestlers to win. So the kid is cocky, who cares. I don't and I'm a hater.

I highlighted for you the subtle (yet not so subtle) statements that make you come of as a "DT hater". It is not over sensitivity to think this way, when you state that a guy who has 3 losses in his career (2 to one of only 3 4-time champs by a combined 2 pts...and one to a 5th year senior as a RS freshman) is "good, but not that good".

It is no accident that any thread like this turns into an argument on how Taylor is really over-rated. Or how him tweeting something about his 100th bonus pt win shows how arrogant he is.

Someone mentioned it earlier....and I will reiterate it now. Why did nobody (specifically any of you guys bashing Taylor for arrogance) say the same things about JB after he won his titles and tweeted/facebooked about it repeatedly? The word hypocritical comes to mind....

Someone mentioned it earlier....and I will reiterate it now. Why did nobody (specifically any of you guys bashing Taylor for arrogance) say the same things about JB after he won his titles and tweeted/facebooked about it repeatedly? The word hypocritical comes to mind....

Burroughs humblebrags all the time. who cares? he's also a gracious champion and RTs other wrestlers own humblebrags.

and a slightly unrelated note, he's also a tireless shill for his ASICS shoes, but whatever, if i had my own shoes i'd be tweeting about them incessantly too.

Burroughs humblebrags all the time. who cares? he's also a gracious champion and RTs other wrestlers own humblebrags.

and a slightly unrelated note, he's also a tireless shill for his ASICS shoes, but whatever, if i had my own shoes i'd be tweeting about them incessantly too.

I don't care, I think he deserves to brag (humbly or not) about his accomplishments - as does Taylor...that is my whole point. Where are the people bashing Taylor for arrogance when Burroughs does the same type of stuff? It just shows the hypocrisy and inconsistency some people have...

I don't care, I think he deserves to brag (humbly or not) about his accomplishments - as does Taylor...that is my whole point. Where are the people bashing Taylor for arrogance when Burroughs does the same type of stuff? It just shows the hypocrisy and inconsistency some people have...

id happily take this level of "bashing" if my favorite team had the same reasons to be arrogant as penn state currently does. its much worse being ignored. trust me.

PA-Fan-I didn't say "he's good but not that good", I said he's not as good as SOME think he is. I also didn't bash him for the humble brag. I said I didn't care!! I don't care if my wrestlers are cocky s.o.b.'s!! I'm a cocky s.o.b.!!! I think if you guys listened to what I said more instead of twisting my words you might hate me less......eh maybe not!!! I've only ever called Taylor exactly as I see him. Which is what I try to do with everyone. I've also tried to be transparent that I don't dislike Taylor or any PSU wrestler at all. I think Taylor is a stud. I think Ruth is a stud. I've said a thousand times I think Retherford is a stud. It's simply the PSU fans I don't like. That's it. It is not the wrestlers. I didn't bash Taylor in any way in my post. You twisted what I said.

Although both have been equally as important to Penn State winning the past 3 NCAA tournament/National Championships, David Taylor has scored 74 points (bonus, advancement and placement) to Ed Ruth's 72 at those 3 tounaments. Not bad for a guy that's "only" won 1 individual title.

There are plenty of schools that would have been pleased with Taylor's bonus points and contributions to the team and the placement at NCAAs which they may have received with him in their singlet and not Penn State's.

100 bonus point wins is a very noteworthy accomplishment. I hope his last bonus point win for Penn State comes in the NCAA finals...

OMW-His last bonus point win will certainly come in the NCAA finals. There is no question about that.

To be even clearer about what my opinion is, I'm saying Taylor is Askren/Varner. That is exceptional. It's not generational by any means. I've been around long enough now to have seen plenty of that and much better. He's as generational as Askren and Varner are. My point is some seem to think he's better than that and he simply is not. There is no shame in that and it doesn't mean he sucks. You guys are too sensitive. He's good, he's not the GOAT!

just reread the whole thread. thot i may have missed it before but i saw absolutely no bashing of Taylor.

i did notice this great comment that's id' like to highlight. its an aspect of his game that i still i dont think DT gets enough credit.

David Taylor is a stud. If we had more wrestlers that competed like him, we would put more people in the stands.

if you want to introduce a noob to NCAA wrestling, show them DT matches. he puts on a show.

So, what have we learned from this thread?

1.) Taylor has 100 bonus pt wins.

2.) He should have used the #humblebrag.

3.) Saying he should have used #humblebrag is an insult.

4.) Some think he should be able to brag. Some don't.

5.) Some think he is a once in a generation talent. Some don't

6.) PA-FAN really, really, really, really likes David Taylor and thinks anything less than absolute praise is an insult. If you do so you are a Taylor Hater.

7.) Dr. Gonzo is a Taylor Hater.

8.) leshismore calls in-fighting boring and childish.

8.b) leshismore immediately thereafter does what he called boring and childish.

9.) Jaroslav Hasek scored 1500 on his SAT's.

10.) Burroughs gets treated with a double standard.

11.) Askren had 126 bonus pt victories.

12.) Thinking Taylor is equal to Varner and Askren is an insult to Taylor.

13.) Dr. Gonzo is a Taylor Hater

14.) Taylor's team has won 3 championships (thanks in large part to his bonus pts)(Edited to add a Marine's input)

Anything else?

Nothing more to see here. No need to post further.

MSU-I'm nominating that for post of the year bro!! I laughed out loud at least 7 times!! I'll tell you and you only a little secret, but don't tell anyone (I have a reputation to maintain), I don't hate David Taylor at all. Not one iota. DO NOT tell anyone!

OMW-There is no question that is 100% accurate. Just imagine if all those bonus points were in Iowa St.'s lineup. That has to make you hit your knees and thank your lucky stars. Or thank your Cael stars or whatever. I'm just glad Taylor didn't have sit a year. I can't imagine robbing him of a year or robbing the fans of a year. That would have been a supreme travesty. Can you imagine that??!! Terrible thought. Thank the good lord that didn't happen and doesn't happen in this sport.

I'm glad that he's at Penn State so I can post here about them winning 3 straight National Championships.

But I don't thank anything for him choosing to follow Sanderson to Happy Valley. If he had attended class at ISU and sucked up a year of tuition from a scholarship, then maybe he would have deserved to sit or lose a year.

Then again, maybe not.

He wasn't forced to sit and history can't be changed. Just as it can't be changed about him staying on his knees with his head on the mat and getting cradled by Jenkins.

Or him teching Hatchett - or losing to a better wrestler in Dake for the 2013 championship.

It (just as he) is what it is.

6.) PA-FAN really, really, really, really likes David Taylor and thinks anything less than absolute praise is an insult. If you do so you are a Taylor Hater.

14.) Taylor's team has won 3 championships (thanks in large part to his bonus pts)(Edited to add a Marine's input)

Anything else?

This post summarizes what it took 4 pages to say.

With that I am now locking this thread.

Are you suggesting that the two have an equal amount to brag about?

You obviously don't really have a grasp of the English language if you think calling someone a bragger is not an insult.

i might take offense from your comment but i scored a 1500 on the SATs so i'm not going to sweat it.

#humblebrag

Two tests or three? ;)

You obviously don't really have a grasp of the English language if you think calling someone a bragger is not an insult.

i might take offense from your comment but i scored a 1500 on the SATs so i'm not going to sweat it.

#humblebrag

Two tests or three? ;)

back when it was just math and verbal. altho i really shouldnt be bragging because i was getting perfect scores on my practice runs. guess that'll teach me to show up on test day hungover!

#humblebrag

Anything else?

15.) Dr. Gonzo is a Taylor Hater

No one doubts Taylor is a great wrestler. No one is "hating" him. The question is whether he is over-hyped and over-praised. For perspective on this whole once-in-a-generation idea, here is an article from Intermat by TR Foley on the "Top ten college wrestlers of the 2000s." As you can see, just to make this Top 10 list, you'd need 2 NCAA titles at least. Indeed, there were at least a dozen two-time champs who did not make the list (including Hendricks and Varner). Four of these Top 10 (Cael, Abas, Rosholt and Jones) had three titles.

Taylor could not be on the list since it includes only those who finished their careers between 2000 and 2010. But everyone who is on the list is in Taylor's generation. You could easily argue Taylor would be on the list if it extended to 2014. (His career is similar to Metcalf, who had lots of bonus wins, two NCAA titles and one loss in the finals, and is ranked 8th.) But it's by no means certain he'd make it. So it's silly to call him once-in-a-generation. It would be more accurate to say he is in the top 10-20 of his generation.

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/10428

From that list I would put Taylor with Askren at 3/4 they are interchangeable and Dake at number 2. I think Taylor and Askren both will be 4x Finalist. Both will only lose to 2 different wrestlers in there careers. Both will lose to other wrestler who is considered one of the best in his era. Both put up insane bonus points. I know Jones was a three time champ but so many close matches and flamed out at NCAA's as a Sophomore but only had 4 loses. I would go Sanderson, Dake, Abas, Taylor/Askren, Jones