Sign in to follow this  
wnywrestling

Would you rather...

Would you rather see

(A) more weight classes and smaller brackets, or

(B) fewer weight classes and larger brackets?

It seems that, in the Olympics, 324 wrestlers is the cap set forth by the IOC (correct me if I'm wrong). So, with 18 weight classes that means 18-man brackets.

But what if FILA reduced the bracket size to make room for, say, 27 weight classes? That would mean 12-man brackets (27*12=324). With 27 weights, you could have 9 weights per division, or even 10 weights for freestyle, 7 for greco (my preference).

What's your preference? What are the pros and cons of each?

A but the member counties and IOC really like to see a wide range of participants from all areas of earth. If you narrow down the participants you ensure a much smaller pool or countries represented and as such the IOC starts to claim the sport is not relevant in enough countries to remain in the games. We already get flack for not having many countries represented on the medal stand so having less countries even in the competition seems like even more of a issue with the IOC, even though in a sports aspect it would create better competition by more top athletes at their true weigh classes. I know some team sports must narrow down the competition field to ensure all the games get fit in within the Olympic time frame so it does happen, but I'm not sure the IOC or many member countries likes to make the participating field too narrow if they can help it.

We already get flack for not having many countries represented on the medal stand

We do? I haven't seen that. In fact, the variety of countries who medal was one of the big selling points during the quest to have wrestling reinstated.

To put things in perspective, if it means a full set of weight classes, 12-man brackets wouldn't be much different that, say, basketball, which had 12 teams at London.

i think its been mentioned before but what about making one or both of the men's styles team events? really opens up possibilities for getting more weight classes while keeping participation numbers and medal counts even with female wrestling.

with a choice of A) or B) as described here i'd definitely pick A). added side affect of creating instantly compelling qualification tournaments.

we never really get a clear answer as to what the IOC tells FILA to prioritize, but i was under the impression that gender equality was more important than greater medal or participation distribution by county. and if 324 is a hard cap for participation, then i'd rather see 10 weight classes in each style, 16 participants per weight in women's and 8 per class in mens. or 8 teams, and just have an additional individual championship tournament during olympic years. the remaining 4 spots could be wild card selections, or something.

I would go with "A" more weight classes, and smaller brackets. I would have wrestlers qualify through regional tournaments earlier in the year. Kind of like we do with High School and College.

That basically how countries qualify a weight class (not necessarily a particular individual) for the Olympics now. So the system is somewhat in place for that type of adjustment if the wanted to go this route.