Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

Stieber at trials

Stieber is all about the weight cut. He has the talent to run through Humphrey and beat Scott, but he has to be healthy and the weight cut has to be done right. He crushes outstanding competition when he is not cutting too much weight. He has some headscratching losses when he does cut too much weight. Not rocket science really.

Stieber is all about the weight cut. He has the talent to run through Humphrey and beat Scott, but he has to be healthy and the weight cut has to be done right. He crushes outstanding competition when he is not cutting too much weight. He has some headscratching losses when he does cut too much weight. Not rocket science really.

Has he ever lost when not cutting too much weight? What "headscratching" losses has he had while cutting too much?

Has he ever lost when not cutting too much weight? What "headscratching" losses has he had while cutting too much?

The loss to Graff at the US Open this year could be considered a 'headscratching loss' even though Graff is very talented.

Logan has made it no secret in interviews and on Twitter that the cut down to 60kg (or 133 for college) was not easy for him and that he prefers wrestling heavier than that. Not to take anything away from Steiber's victory over Sat this year but I think if they were forced to actually make 60kg instead of having an allowance that match might have gone differently.

The loss to Graff at the US Open this year could be considered a 'headscratching loss' even though Graff is very talented.

Logan has made it no secret in interviews and on Twitter that the cut down to 60kg (or 133 for college) was not easy for him and that he prefers wrestling heavier than that. Not to take anything away from Steiber's victory over Sat this year but I think if they were forced to actually make 60kg instead of having an allowance that match might have gone differently.

Tyler Graff has a pretty decent resume. He's also very talented as you say. I'm not sure how Stieber losing to Graff qualifies as "headscratching". I don't believe Stieber has clearly separated himself from Graff to say that.

I wouldn't say there were any major headscratchers per se, but it is undeniable that Stieber around 140 is significantly better than Stieber around 130. I'd take 140 Stieber by 4 pts over 130 Stieber.

It's probably 5 lbs too much of a cut, and when you're small and cutting hard, 5 incremental lbs can really kill you.

The match vs Graff was awful, maybe Stieber wasn't into wrestling for 3rd after a really controversial loss in the semis. Stieber has generally looked much more dynamic when wrestling with a weight allowance than at the US open and Trials. Go up in weight Logan.

I wouldn't say there were any major headscratchers per se, but it is undeniable that Stieber around 140 is significantly better than Stieber around 130. I'd take 140 Stieber by 4 pts over 130 Stieber.

It's probably 5 lbs too much of a cut, and when you're small and cutting hard, 5 incremental lbs can really kill you.

He lost to Brewer. I would definitely call that a head scratching loss. Logan had already had multiple high profile wins, and then loses to Brewer when he was right out of high school.

Also I personally think he got screwed in the semi match with Humphrey. I think he won that match. He is a better wrestler than Humphrey IMO.

He lost to Brewer. I would definitely call that a head scratching loss. Logan had already had multiple high profile wins, and then loses to Brewer when he was right out of high school.

Also I personally think he got screwed in the semi match with Humphrey. I think he won that match. He is a better wrestler than Humphrey IMO.

I believe Logan's loss to Brewer was 3-4 months after his true freshman year, where he lost to Patterson, Lara and Perelli. Logan then went on to win 2 ncaa titles at 133 pounds with one hour weigh ins. And remember, Logan lost to Dardanes the year he won his first ncaa title. Given all of that, I'm not so sure his loss to Brewer at the time was "headscratching" or due to severe weight cutting.

I believe Logan's loss to Brewer was 3-4 months after his true freshman year, where he lost to Patterson, Lara and Perelli. Logan then went on to win 2 ncaa titles at 133 pounds with one hour weigh ins. And remember, Logan lost to Dardanes the year he won his first ncaa title. Given all of that, I'm not so sure his loss to Brewer at the time was "headscratching" or due to severe weight cutting.

He had already beaten Zadick, tech falled Valenti and Derek Moore, and beat Hazewinkle by the time that he lost to Brewer. That was as headscratching as it gets for me.

He had already beaten Zadick, tech falled Valenti and Derek Moore, and beat Hazewinkle by the time that he lost to Brewer. That was as headscratching as it gets for me.

I believe your chronology is off. Stieber's wins over Zadick, Valenti, and Moore were after his loss to Brewer. However, Stieber did beat Hazewinkel for sure before he lost to Brewer.

From his Ohio St. bio for the 2010-11 season: Competed in Buckeye Duals (Nov. 21) and Cliff Keen Las Vegas Collegiate Wrestling Invitational (Dec. 3) before hand injury concluded season.

He went 5-3 that year. At the 2011 FILA JR nationals, he lost 6-2, 6-3 to Cody Brewer in the quarters. He then won FILA JR trials and took second to 2010 world senior silver medalist and 2012 olympic gold medalist Toghrul Asgarov at junior worlds. This past spring, Logan beat Cody Brewer 17-1 in the quarters of NCAAs.

He lost 5-4 to Jimmy Kennedy at 2013 WTT. He lost 2-1, 0-1, 2-0 to Reece Humphrey and then 3-1, 3-0 to Graff at the US Open. I don't think Logan is as talented in freestyle as he is folkstyle, or at least not yet anyway. Between 133, 141 and 149, I don't know if anyone currently on an NCAA roster can beat him in folkstyle. But he has yet to show that he can make that next leap in freestyle. That being said, the kid is incredible and absolutely one of the best American wrestlers we have right now.

He has already been a World Silver Medalist in junior freestyle. That is a serious accomplishment. So I am not sure what you mean by "he has yet to show he can make that next leap in freestyle." He has already leaped pretty darn far. He lost a razor thin match to about to be Olympic bronze medalist Coleman Scott at the Trials. Yes he has had a couple of losses but "that next leap" is to be a World Senior Medalist. And right now we only have a couple of such people competing for us at all. I would put him right at the top with just a couple of other guys of the list of current American wrestlers with that kind of potential.