Sign in to follow this  
WreslingSuperior

FILA needs serious marketing improvements

In my opinion FILA could work on these points (and many others...) :

1) Wrestling is a complete martial art : priority development of Olympic Wrestling styles. Development or official support of Combat Grappling-Pankration (no-gi full contact) and only No-Gi Grappling - Catch as Catch Can Wrestling. These styles are not only a sport, but also an applicable “survival system” that promotes personal development and helps to adapt to complicated conditions of the present-day world, as well as strengthens the spirit and trains the body.

2) Wrestling is also an outdoor sport : increase the number of summer tournaments epacially on the beach. Beach Wrestling is a fun style.

3) Freestyle and Greco needs a new uniforms with a specific merchandising.

agree on 3. Easy enough to implement and if done right will bring in more revenue.

1 and 2 are trickier. FILA clearly has limited resources and questionable man power, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to have them divide their time and invest in styles beyond free and greco at this point.

long term though i think it makes sense. especially the beach wrestling. takedown only styles seem pretty universal and if they could develop a kind of, flag football version of wrestling i think that would be a good longer term strategy. kind of a "no mat, no shoes, no problem" style.

FILA clearly has limited resources and questionable man power, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to have them divide their time and invest in styles beyond free and greco at this point.

FILA could support the potential new Grappling/Combat Grappling federation or still keep these style whitout financial support but the Sport Accord recognising.

Why not call it "sand" wrestling and host it just about anywhere? I'd like them to drop the "beach" component from the title. It would rock to have sand wrestling on a "mat" next to a regular wrestling mat at nationals. I think this would help bring sand wrestling under the umbrella of the other FILA combat sports like what we saw at Nationals this year.

Why not call it "sand" wrestling and host it just about anywhere? I'd like them to drop the "beach" component from the title. It would rock to have sand wrestling on a "mat" next to a regular wrestling mat at nationals. I think this would help bring sand wrestling under the umbrella of the other FILA combat sports like what we saw at Nationals this year.

I sorta think they should merge greco & beach, calling it Greco-Roman and moving it outside to the sand/clay as it was in the ancient Olympics. FILA claims they want more separation between freestyle & greco; that would be a good way to do it (rather than making the uniforms & weight classes slightly different, which seems to be the master plan). With the addition of women & beaches, Greco might suddenly become as or more interesting to watch than freestyle.

I sorta think they should merge greco & beach, calling it Greco-Roman and moving it outside to the sand/clay as it was in the ancient Olympics. FILA claims they want more separation between freestyle & greco; that would be a good way to do it (rather than making the uniforms & weight classes slightly different, which seems to be the master plan). With the addition of women & beaches, Greco might suddenly become as or more interesting to watch than freestyle.

i never realized having different uniforms and weight classes is FILA's attempt to differentiate between the styles and appease the IOC. but thats our FILA leadership for you. so ineffectual that you never actually know when theyre trying to improve the sport!

Tony_Rotundo wrote:

Why not call it "sand" wrestling and host it just about anywhere? I'd like them ...

I‘m completely agree.

Freestyle needs rash guard and shorts or only mma shorts.

Agree the name for beach wrestling should be changed to Sand wrestling. It would be easy enough to petition for an official name change. I don't know why or how they came up with the name beach wrestling, other than the fact that, in the U.S., the nationals are contested at the beach. My understanding is that the Worlds have not been contested at beaches every year.

Takedown only, sand wrestling is nearly universal, from traditional African wrestling to Sumo in Japan and Ssireum in Korea. None of those styles take place at the beach.

FILA, if it was smart, and it's not clear that they are, could really go far with beach wrestling, renamed Sand Wrestling, attracting the best folk wrestlers from Africa, Japan and Korea in a truly fan friendly style.

i prefer beach wrestling to sand wrestling. the former is a vast improvement over the latter from a marketing perspective. people will figure out quickly enough that you dont need to be by the ocean to compete, just as you could have beach volleyball indoors if you wanted.

sand wrestling just sounds bad. too close to mud wrestling. beach wrestling sounds fun. if i'm fila and i want to launch a "new" style im calling it beach wrestling, even tho "dirt" or "earth" wrestling is probably more accurate.

otherwise i agree with everything Dave said. include all the the disparate cultures and make it global. i think theres a lot of potential there.

just MHO.

fullnelson- The point is that A LOT of people outside the U.S. care about folk wrestling styles that feature takedown/pushout only.

T.R. Foley at INTERMAT has done a great deal of in depth coverage of these types of styles. Traditional wrestling in Africa fills soccer stadiums, and Sumo is deeply imbedded in Japanese culture, and very well attended. Ssireum, the folkstyle of Korea, also attracts tens of thousands. These styles are fast paced and exciting for non wrestlers, and they all take place in sand filled circles.

You should do a quick search on YouTube and watch some competitions in all of these styles. I enjoy it and they generate real interest on the international level.

Martinetti was an egomaniac and did a lot of damage to wrestling, but even a broke clock is right twice a day.

Just because most Americans don't get takedown only sand wrestling doesn't mean the rest of the globe doesn't.

If beach wrestling was restructured a bit and marketed properly, it could definitely catch on in a big way.

Beach wrestling/sand wrestling is a joke and should never have been under the fila umbrella. At this point fila should concentrate solely on greco and freestyle and bolstering the two styles' tenuous position in the Olympics. Any other style or project is a distraction. I have no problem with other governing bodies promoting other style of wrestling or combat sports but fila is spreading too thin by pursuing the other sports.

Then fila needs to get the f*ck out of Olympic Wrestling. Olympic style wrestling is enough to keep any governing body's hand full and should not be promoting other wrestling styles the do not add value to the mission of keeping wrestling in the Olympics permanently and advancing that cause.

FILA already has grappling. What is needed is buy in. It could potentially be huge. Imagine having athletes from all these disciples competing: sambo (Russia) shoot wrestling (Japan), jiu jitsu (Japan), Brazilian jiu jitsu (Brazil), lutra livre esportiva (Brazil), catch wrestling (UK), and malla-yuddha (India).

I like the idea of combining Greco with beach wrestling.

As for marketing, a few things. There needs to be a fair and transparent seeding process with brackets. There should be music and the wrestling should occur under lights. MMA shorts need to be adopted. The mats need to change colors from the ugly 1970s colors currently in use. The medal matches should be a spectacle. I believe FILA is already moving in this direction. We'll see how the 2015 worlds in Vegas turn out.

FILA already has grappling. What is needed is buy in. It could potentially be huge. Imagine having athletes from all these disciples competing: sambo (Russia) shoot wrestling (Japan), jiu jitsu (Japan), Brazilian jiu jitsu (Brazil), lutra livre esportiva (Brazil), catch wrestling (UK), and malla-yuddha (India).

I like the idea of combining Greco with beach wrestling.

As for marketing, a few things. There needs to be a fair and transparent seeding process with brackets. There should be music and the wrestling should occur under lights. MMA shorts need to be adopted. The mats need to change colors from the ugly 1970s colors currently in use. The medal matches should be a spectacle. I believe FILA is already moving in this direction. We'll see how the 2015 worlds in Vegas turn out.

I agree. NoGi Grappling and Combat Grappling are two very interesting styles.

At Grapple at the Garden there was a very interesting team comp between Renzo Gracie and Joe Warren. Basically, both guys brought teams and competed in Freestyle while wearing compression shorts and rash guards.

There's a highlight reel on Youtube and it looked like a great time was had by all. Joe Warren competed and won, as did his team, but several matches were close and Renzo's team had guys who had never wrestled, only MMA/Jiu Jitsu grapplers.

That is an interesting crossover idea bringing different styles together.

Joe Warren competed and won, as did his team, but several matches were close and Renzo's team had guys who had never wrestled, only MMA/Jiu Jitsu grapplers.

Only one guy who had never wrestled (in competition). The others have wrestling background. Compression and shorts are the future in my opinion.