Sign in to follow this  
tech_fall

Does wrestling need the big guys?

Like many fans of this sport when the heavy weights are up I go grab some nachos or try to beat the traffic. How many times does the arena begin to clear out as the heavy weight take the mat?

No disrespect to any heavyweight I respect what they do immensly. That being said would wrestling be better off if in HS we kept 220 and distributed the extra weight lower, in college we kept 197 or say even created a 210 and internationally did away with 120kg and distributed the extra weight class among more compelling/competitive weights?

I think as a spectator the upper weights lack the draw ability and are for lack of a better word "boring" to all but the true purests!

You are more than right.

To me, watching heavyweights is kinda like watching freestyle but with fat guys. 10-30 seconds of action and a boat load of dancing.

Changing the weight that starts the meet only means that the boring part comes at the middle instead of the end. I guess I'd prefer it at the end so I can beat the traffic.

Some morons in charge of high school wrestling decided to subtract a middle weight and add a heavy weight because they were looking at some bell shaped curve that described high school boys' overall weights.

That change wasn't caused by the evolution of larger kids, it was caused by kids chowing down on McDonald's while playing a video game when they should have been working out.

We are now cursed with an overweight population and wrestling pays the price by adding a weight class mostly filled with off-season football players some desperate coach dragged out of the halls and on to the mat.

Don't get me started.

Watching heavies wrestles makes my eyes bleed. A heavy is considered skilled and extraordinary if he can execute the most basic of moves that an average HS middle weight does in every match.

That they added an upper weight is mind boggling, considering how so many programs struggle to find ANY heavy, let alone a couple of good heavies.

i mean yeah...lets cut off any kid who really wants to play football.

Let's destroy, UNO style, the legacies of guys like Baumgartner, Banach, Williams, Dlagnev, Gardner, Byers, Sigman, McCoy, Erickson, Terkay, Albright, THompson, Taylor,Hutton, Harris, Haselrig,

The problem with HWT is that it goes through spurts of great wrestlers creating action like Neal, Konrad, Rowlands, Mocco, and plenty others. Then it goes through times such as now where it is super lame. I mean Nelson is about to be a 3x champ, and I wouldn't consider him a top 20 HWT. He's just not that good. The boring cycles like now kill HWT.

Upper weights, including heavies, represent real men in the real world. Almost all men in society weight 170+.

I mean what kind of guy weighs less than 130 once out of high school? Come on.

Not about taking away opportunity but providing more opportunity for the weight class range that appeals to the masses. Not every sport has to provide opportunity for every individual. Would it be better for the sport?

We already are eliminating weight classes internationally would focusing those few weight classes more on weights that entertain people be beneficial?

The problem with HWT is that it goes through spurts of great wrestlers creating action like Neal, Konrad, Rowlands, Mocco, and plenty others. Then it goes through times such as now where it is super lame. I mean Nelson is about to be a 3x champ, and I wouldn't consider him a top 20 HWT. He's just not that good. The boring cycles like now kill HWT.

Tony is plenty good. He may not be that exciting but he is plenty good.

Neal and Rowlands were tremendous offensive wrestlers. Konrad? Mocco? Dominant but not exciting.

if we're eliminating things because most people find them boring than we should probably get rid of the whole sport of wrestling.

if you were talking about professional real wrestling, sure, get rid of heavyweights. do whatever it takes to sell tickets. but removing it from high school and college serves no purpose. and when the heavies step on the mat, by all means, just leave the gym and dont watch. problem solved.

man, skinny people can be so insecure sometimes.