Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Dake's Progress?

I'm not sure about the specific time during which his next match will occur, but the time between Dake matches will certainly shorten as brackets narrow. He has Russian Mr.Gadzhi Gadzhiev. Anything on this guy?

EDIT :: Now some fellas are saying Dake has Malikov... My results are reported from the FILA page but they may be wrong

My question is...when will we get to see the Dake match posted up?

I was just looking at that. It looks like they have all the matches from yesterday archived and online, so hopefully these will be up later today or tomorrow. Pay attention to the bout numbers on the brackets though because that's how they are listed. No names on the videos unfortunately.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Dake's picture on the FILA site looks like he is about 15. Guess he will always be "the kid".

Dake loses to Gadzhiev after submitting to his broken hand mid-match. It was pretty clear his arsenal was extremely limited from the get-go. Great tournament for Dake, though. That Tsargush match did more than prove Kid Dynamite is ready for Freestyle.

Injury or no injury, Dake is finding out that the top international guys are going to score more often than not if he lets them in on his legs. In college and the US freestyle circuit, he can rely on his insane hips and athleticism to avoid being taken down, but against the Russians, those traits are just not as effective.

I never thought I'd say this, but he may need to work on his defense as much as moving guys into vulnerable positions to make his TD attempts more effective.

All in all, a good first tournament for Kid Dynamite, though. Invaluable experience.

Injury or no injury, Dake is finding out that the top international guys are going to score more often than not if he lets them in on his legs. In college and the US freestyle circuit, he can rely on his insane hips and athleticism to avoid being taken down, but against the Russians, those traits are just not as effective.

I never thought I'd say this, but he may need to work on his defense as much as moving guys into vulnerable positions to make his TD attempts more effective.

All in all, a good first tournament for Kid Dynamite, though. Invaluable experience.

Great points. I think most who watched the match can agree that Dake was playing defense way too much throughout the whole thing, and that's been a consistent problem against Intl. style opponents considering Dake hasn't been scoring off legitimate neutral-type offense even since the Burroughs match - where most of his points came off counters, as they did during the Tsargush match. From Rumble on the Rails, to Burroughs, to Makoev -- possibly Shabanau as an exception -- to Tsargush, Dake just hasn't picked many ankles.

Hasn't defensiveness been the knock on Dake since... forever. Seems to work.

Was he injured in his next match, making him default? Or did he lose?

My constructive criticism wasn't about the defensiveness, but rather, how he's defending. I have no issue with defense if it works, but the top Russians are finding ways to score more often than not once they get in on Dake's legs, which is new to him. In college, he was practically impossible to score on no matter how deep the shot was. Now, he is giving up TDs because the top Russians are so solid with their positioning and there's the added factor of having to defend not just TDs but also exposure.

Winning over Shabanau and Tsargush is super impressive for anyone, let alone a FS novice. Great job Dake! Does anyone know Gadziev's credentials? I'm blanking on who he is right now.

Regarding Dake's defense... I haven't seen these matches, but when wrestling Burroughs, I noticed that in match 1 he tried to defend through stance and positioning only, and he got creamed. In the second match he defended more "aggressively" by using his underhook, crowding Burroughs, and taking away JB's time to set up. Clearly this didn't work perfectly but it was a lot better than in match one.

Definitely not 2 for Aliyev on that last TD. Good tournament for Dake. The difference between he and Burroughs is he can't generate offense like Burroughs esp from the outside. Russians and Europeans in general are such good hand fighters and control ties so well it makes it difficult for Dake to generate offense. Burroughs is so quick he can stay out of that mess.