Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Dake's Progress?

I just watched the 3rd place match and that last scoring sequence 10 times (5:17 here: http://www.dartfish.tv/Presenter.aspx?C ... I2OTgwAAAA). How the hell was that 2?? And what were the US coaches doing not throwing the cube immediately after the 2 were awarded?

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but that was incredibly poor reffing followed by incredibly poor coaching.

I just watched the 3rd place match and that last scoring sequence 10 times (5:17 here: http://www.dartfish.tv/Presenter.aspx?C ... I2OTgwAAAA). How the hell was that 2?? And what were the US coaches doing not throwing the cube immediately after the 2 were awarded?

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but that was incredibly poor reffing followed by incredibly poor coaching.

I agree with you. I have no idea why the coaches didn't challenge that call. I don't believe Dake even realized that they awarded the Aliyev the points until about 10 seconds later (that's when he tried to pick up the pace and score last).

Where were the coaches? By the time they threw in the cube, about 35 seconds had passed since the AZE wrestler was awarded the points!

Winning over Shabanau and Tsargush is super impressive for anyone, let alone a FS novice. Great job Dake! Does anyone know Gadziev's credentials? I'm blanking on who he is right now.

According to the Results section on top of this page, it looks like Gadziev won that Olympia event last July in Olympia, Greece. The USA rep was Geordan Speiller who took 5th.

Anybody have a link to Russian National brackets? Would love to see those (years past as well).

(Also, check out the 66kg results at Olympia. Soslan Romanov wins gold. Opan Sat bumps up a weight and wins bronze. And Ellis Coleman was in that bracket? A typo perhaps?)

I agree with you. I have no idea why the coaches didn't challenge that call. I don't believe Dake even realized that they awarded the Aliyev the points until about 10 seconds later (that's when he tried to pick up the pace and score last).

Where were the coaches? By the time they threw in the cube, about 35 seconds had passed since the AZE wrestler was awarded the points!

can't blame the refs, unless they get it wrong after the review. a lot less at steak throwing the cube with 2 points for a td.

I'm impressed that Dake beat Shabanau. A win over a recent bronze medalist is great.

I'm also impressed he beat Tsargush. I wonder if Tsargush has regressed, or if he's hot and cold. He couldn't make the Russian world team, but then he looked really good at university worlds. And at the end of the Dake match, when Dake was getting exposure points, it looked like he gave up. Either way, it's a great win for Dake. I don't doubt that Tsargush is always tough. Beating a two-time world champ is nothing to sneeze at. I also note that Tsargush took Dake down out of the gate, then scored three points on his second offensive attempt. Dake is great at defense, but against the world's best and with freestyle rules, it's going to be impossible to stop everything.

Gadzhiev respected Dake and won by being disciplined and shooting only when he had an opening.

I also think Dake beat Aliyev, even though he didn't get his hand raised at the end. But the reality is, internationally, we're normally going to have the calls go against us. (Burroughs was put on the shot clock multiple times at this past worlds, which was beyond ridiculous. Burroughs's style is built on constant attacks, constant pressure.) In order to win consistently against international competition, you have to win convincingly.

The biggest obstacle I see for Dake is his inability to generate offense, especially from the outside. (As AnklePicker noted.) If he continues to rely on defense and counters, he can still win convincingly against a lot of guys internationally, but there will always be tight matches. And as we've already seen, those are more likely to go against him than not.

My takeaway is Dake did very well. I think he'll only improve.

Few things:

-- I watched all of Dake's matches...some great wins, especially with a bad hand. The Tsargush match was odd. IMO, Tsargush was comfortably winning and took a bad shot, towards the end of the match. He seems prone to making silly mistakes, its not the first time. I was shocked how easily Gadziev took down Dake. In fact, between Gadziev and Tsargush, Dake did not convert on a single shot. I wouldn't put much weight in this tournament though, many wrestlers have not peaked, it will be more interesting come the Yarigin.

-- I think more importantly, its great for USA guys to enter such tournaments where there are 4-5 Russians in a row. You beat 1, but the next 2 are just as good or better. Russia has amazing depth, and even the no.5 guy can be on a given day better than the Olympic champ. IMO, many world champs from other countries would not win Russian nationals: their style may be good to beat 1 Russian, but not the next one. That is why it is so entertaining when they enter these tournaments. I would love to see Burroughs at the Yarigin.

-- I think 74kg is really USA's weight: JB is amazing and I don't see anyone beating him anytime soon. He will be an all time great. If anything happens to JB, Dake has shown he can compete with the best in the world. I would be interested to see both of them vs. Geduev. According to many, Geduev has improved tremendously since his JB match in 2011.

Tsargush seemed to be much better than Dake and at the end he seemed to gas, or rather, he just gave up a TD and figured he'd stall out the rest of the match and Dake gutted him. It wasn't even a shot from Tsargush on the TD, he literally, just stopped wrestling and bellied and then was too tired to fight off the gut.

Dake beat him but honestly I don't think technically Dake is next to Tsargush level yet. I know others will disagree and a win is a win but this is just what I saw in the match.

Tsargush did seem to be dominating technically throughout the first 2/3rds of the match but so what, conditioning, heart, and those last few minutes of a match are just as crucial to winning as straight freestyle technique.

Dake earned that victory against a very talented 2x World champ (would be 3x atleast I think without Burroughs).

Welcome to Freestyle, the more things change the more they stay the same. 3-4 minutes for judges to make a call. Dake obliviously had a TD on Tsargush he was on top of him with a leg in and after a scramble its 7-0 Tsargush and after 5 minutes the score gets changed. Fila is still making a mockery out of the sport.

Also, It was obvious that Dake's hand was nearly useless looked like a prop, it. He was tentative because of it. He was right there with the best. I didn't see the match with Gadzhiev, but fully healthy, i see him beating Tsargush and Alyiev.

i was impressed by Dake. with so few data points to go on its tough to know what level guys are. Dakes had what, 1 serious international tournament and he beat two world medalists with a badly hurt hand? pretty decent if you ask me.

and he's got room for improvement. thats encouraging. i think he's got a bright future on the international scene. looking forward to seeing what he does.

True. But they also kept Tsargush down for 20 seconds before Dake actually turned him. When's the last time you guys saw that in FS? That's why Tsargush was looking up at the chairman like wtf.

i also check the clock when dake was on top. he started to load his gut and the ref noticed that a turn may have been imminent. good officiating. i hope the refs continue to allow guys to work on top.

Dake obliviously had a TD on Tsargush he was on top of him with a leg in and after a scramble its 7-0 Tsargush and after 5 minutes the score gets changed.

FWIW Dake never had a leg "in" as you say. Tsargush had a hold of the right heel/ankle with his left hand the entire time. Regardless, they eventually gave Dake the TD after the review but didn't give 2 points for Tsargush for one of his exposures. Tsargush clearly had 2, 2 +1.

It is widely held that russians keep great position, and I generally agree. However, I always marvel at how comfortable Tsargush seems to be wrestling in neutral with his head down almost to his knees. At times he's got guys hanging on his head and he is facing backwards like a center hiking the football. Does fine from there though.

Dake obliviously had a TD on Tsargush he was on top of him with a leg in and after a scramble its 7-0 Tsargush and after 5 minutes the score gets changed.

FWIW Dake never had a leg "in" as you say. Tsargush had a hold of the right heel/ankle with his left hand the entire time. Regardless, they eventually gave Dake the TD after the review but didn't give 2 points for Tsargush for one of his exposures. Tsargush clearly had 2, 2 +1.

I don't think it was clear that Dake broke 90 on the first exposure. I probably would have scored it 5-0 after that first review. Tsargush definitely had a hold on Dake's foot. That was hard to see from our angle, but the lack of true control was obvious from the way they continued to move. 7-0 or 5-2 were also reasonable, because the first exposure was close to 90 degrees, and because Dake had that leg in deep.

Tsargush always impresses me with his grip strength. Like others have said, it seems like he's capable of chasing bad positions because his grip is so difficult to break.

it's now public knowledge that Dake fractured his hand in 2 places during warm ups!!

then proceeded to go out and beat a 2x world champ...flat out impressive, it's extremely clear on these videos, he was wrestling with 1 hand!

incredible. give it up.

Regarding Tsargush... His laziness cost him. Dake wasn't in position to score a 3 from the feet so there is no reason he had to give up free points and the top position. Hard to really analyze Dakes losses as he apparently broke his hand but I did notice guys we're hitting clean shots on him after disengaging from a tie up. Hopefully his hand heals fast so we can enjoy more of his matches.