Sign in to follow this  
DF

Called stalemate since guy wasn't trying to pin with cradle

The guy hit a cradle from top almost off the whistle to start the 2nd period and didn't even pretend he was trying to get the pin after he got the nearfall. I warned him to work for the fall but all he did was keep the same exact position without doing anything that resembled actively trying to get a pin. After about a minute of this and after I warned him again, I called stalemate. He still won the match but I'm not gonna just accept that you're not intentionally stalemating if you have your opponent on his back and just keep him there to run out the time instead of actively working for the pin.

Sorry to highjack your thread and make it a more serious issue, but I can't help myself.

You know who never gets called with stalling that ought to? Leggers. Have wrestlers do a drill where one guy puts in the legs and all he has to do is simply hold on, where the opponent has to try and get away. It's had to get away from a legger, even if the legger isn't doing all that much to keep you down.

If a crab rider or a guy working a simple ride into a bar arm, tilt or half nelson series can't turn you or at least keep you broken down within due time, stalling will eventually be called on him. Yet, it's never called on leggers. Leggers can throw in the legs and keep you from escaping by just leeching on and they are never penalized for it.

The guy hit a cradle from top almost off the whistle to start the 2nd period and didn't even pretend he was trying to get the pin after he got the nearfall. I warned him to work for the fall but all he did was keep the same exact position without doing anything that resembled actively trying to get a pin. After about a minute of this and after I warned him again, I called stalemate. He still won the match but I'm not gonna just accept that you're not intentionally stalemating if you have your opponent on his back and just keep him there to run out the time instead of actively working for the pin.

You may feel that's the case but if that could get appealed it would get reversed. Rule is very specific in that it does not apply in a pinning situation. I know, you don't think it is one. Now, you might be able to call unsportsmanlike conduct, however.

So what is your "call" when a guy tilts his opponent? He gets his near fall points and then an immediate stall call or stalemate since he's not going for the pin? Good thing you never reffed an Anthony Robles match. You would have screwed up his undefeated senior year.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the idea I threw out with stalling having to be "appealed" for by the opposing coach before it's actually called is a good idea, where the official has to either agree (by raising the fist) or disagree (with a verbal "no"). Until then, it sometimes seems just a bit arbitrary.

So what is your "call" when a guy tilts his opponent? He gets his near fall points and then an immediate stall call since he's not going for the pin?

Tilts aren't pinning moves, they are to rack up nearfalls. The whole point is to tilt and re-tilt until you get enough nearfalls for a tech. But if a tilter should keep his opponent in tiltage angle for too long after nearfalls have been awarded, they yes that would constitute stalemating.

DF are you a "Deadhead"? Your posts are "Long Strange Trips indeed.

No, but out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac. A little voice inside my head said, "Don't look back, she's never coming back". I thought I knew my wife loved me. What did I know? She's gone forever. I should let her go but...

DF are you a "Deadhead"? Your posts are "Long Strange Trips indeed.

No, but out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac. A little voice inside my head said, "Don't look back, she's never coming back". I thought I knew my wife loved me. What did I know? She's gone forever. I should let her go but...

Dont worry DF, I have been down this road too. I was tilting fools left and right, getting a lot of boos during my matches when she told me it was her or wrestling.

Dont worry DF, I have been down this road too. I was tilting fools left and right, getting a lot of boos during my matches when she told me it was her or wrestling.

Guess I get the gist of it 'cause it's alright. The only thing there is to say is every silver medal can be won with a touch of cold spray.