Sign in to follow this  
bigrig

2012 NWCA All-Star Classic -- Coverage

All Star Classic has been streamed every year since 2006. Last year, Shane Sparks was on the call through Fox Sports Arizona. I had the TV call for Fox College Sports (tape delay).

I can't make the trip this year due to family reasons, but even when LSV had issues, they still got it streamed, one of the few events LSV was present and actually worked.

I just take some offense to the "this is a joke" line that seems to always show up. I have full faith the NWCA will get this streamed. Whether it be through means like AU Eagles or Flo or someone. It will be streamed. When they get it confirmed, I'm sure it will be in plenty of time for fans to be able to watch.

It's not like we all need three weeks notice, we know when the event will be and there are enough avenues with the media that can get the word out (including this board).

The NWCA will get it done.

OK, so it sounds like we will have streaming but we all know that quality and reliability of streaming for many wrestling events has been poor. My concern, and I suspect the concern of many others, is if the streaming of this event will be high quality and reliable. I really wish there was a way people could choose to pay to get a better feed.

cjc,

I guess you need to go back and read what ESPNs involvement would be before making uninformed jabs like that

Easy to take shots when you're not doing anything to help. Just enjoy watching other people fail. It's very becoming of a wrestling fan.

Plus infinity that.

I sent this from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Jason... is ESPN considering televising the all star classic? I didn't read all the previous posts just kinda jokingly chimed in with CJC....it is a no brainer for ESPN to televise it. But this would be great if it is true!

cjc,

I guess you need to go back and read what ESPNs involvement would be before making uninformed jabs like that

Easy to take shots when you're not doing anything to help. Just enjoy watching other people fail. It's very becoming of a wrestling fan.

Plus infinity that.

..the truth hurts, doesn't it? ESPN, the NWCA, and USA Wrestling should be televising this event. I guess they don't have the resources to do so.

..What exactly am I supposed to do?

..What have you done to get this event televised? Isn't it your job the promote the sport?

..I guess you can't defend the lack of coverage for the event, so you'll take your usual cheap shot at the poster (this time me).

....Stop making excuses and get the event televised. It's the least you could do.

If you knew half of what you thought you did, you'd feel about two inches tall when coming after me on this.

I see a lemming taking a cheap shot at the NWCA, not someone offering a solution.

My personal life takes more importance than my job right now. You were the one with the cheap shot on people who do nothing but try to help the sport. Easy to be anonymous and talk a big deal.

Just another blowhard follower ... I can't actively stream this because I have some things that are MUCH more important to deal with

The streaming solution will happen, but lemmings like you just love to take the potshot vs doing anything constructive.

Do you recall anyone saying this would NOT be streamed? I surely never read that

Before jumping to conclusions with misinformed potshots, how about getting back to basics and reading. Site says TBA, it does not say it won't be streamed. It will also get plenty of airtime on FCS and also saves about 25k in cost to do it tape delay vs live

So I ask again, where did people get the idea it would not be streamed?

If the issue is money, why not make it pay per view or ask for donations?

Seriously? The wresting community abhors PPV. Everytime it's ever come up, people always throw out the "this isn't good for the sport" and "you're trying to nickel and dime the fans" and that type of thing.

With the way our fanbase works, paying for anything seems to be a cause for pain these days, especially with webcasts, because inevitably, someone, somewhere will pay for it and they won't be able to access it.

In the last 15 years, I've found "donations" get very little, because people have come to expect things to be done at someone else's expense. PPV, you cut your potential reach to about 25% and then you end up with people pirating the video and posting it as some altruistic means of "promoting the sport."

They'll get something figured out for live streaming, but to think donations and PPV would work ... too much experience in this world tells me it doesn't work.

Just my two cents.

Your two cents seem to be counterproductive...on a regular basis...are you sure you're on our side ??

Just what I've seen time and time again. It's only counterproductive when the fanbase doesn't produce.

I've streamed over 100 events the last three years ... if they relied on having costs covered by PPV, They would have lasted three months not three years.

I'm not saying we are cheap as a whole, but consider the fact PPV gets only 25ish percent views that free events do, PPV is a loser with wrestling people. Always has been. even if the product is stellar, people WILL complain. People complained about 18 free live streams in Fargo this past summer. On this board. in the chat. 18 free live streams and people whined. Can't win over those folks, some of whom are in this thread.

I'm telling you like it is from experience.

My goal is to educate and dispel false info and maybe cut the whining some. I don't think that's counterproductive.

Jason,

The Dake-Taylor matchup (although an exhibition) is the most anticipated Folkstyle match up that anyone can remember. IF it happens this year at the NCAA finals, it is the biggest match in NCAA history hands down. It just doesn't seem right that we may or may not get quality coverage of this. Not only should we get coverage, it should be a quality coverage with quality announcing (either you or the Flo crew) and not some scrub that doesn't understand the sport like students that put on Big Ten duals or the old timers that bring ZERO excitement to the microphone.

------

... "the biggest match in NCAA history hands down".....

wow, I didn't realize it was that big

If the issue is money, why not make it pay per view or ask for donations?

Seriously? The wresting community abhors PPV. Everytime it's ever come up, people always throw out the "this isn't good for the sport" and "you're trying to nickel and dime the fans" and that type of thing.

With the way our fanbase works, paying for anything seems to be a cause for pain these days, especially with webcasts, because inevitably, someone, somewhere will pay for it and they won't be able to access it.

In the last 15 years, I've found "donations" get very little, because people have come to expect things to be done at someone else's expense. PPV, you cut your potential reach to about 25% and then you end up with people pirating the video and posting it as some altruistic means of "promoting the sport."

They'll get something figured out for live streaming, but to think donations and PPV would work ... too much experience in this world tells me it doesn't work.

Just my two cents.

Your two cents seem to be counterproductive...on a regular basis...are you sure you're on our side ??

------

[highlight=#ffffff][blockquote][blockquote]Jason is counter productive?!? C'mon dude, get a clue.Some posters seem to think everything should just "happen," and often ignorant of the facts and how things actually get done. To make matters worse, they often don't appreciate the time and energy put in folks like Jason and others working behind the scenes. [/blockquote][/blockquote][/highlight]

------

What a bizarre, insulting statement.

It must be frustrating for folks like Jason, who put in lots of time and energy into promoting and helping wrestling.

Get a clue, dude.

------

What a bizarre, insulting statement.

It must be frustrating for folks like Jason, who put in lots of time and energy into promoting and helping wrestling.

Get a clue, dude.

..Jason is a cheap shot artist. He's really helping and promoting wrestling by calling people lemmings.

"Stop making excuses and get the event televised. It's the least you could do."

That's not Jason's job (obviously).

"it is a no brainer for ESPN to televise it."

Why would they? Do you think someone like Enterprise car rental would sponsor it? That's surely beyond the control of anybody here.

Folks must think that the Taylor/Dake exhibition result will get a mention on Sportscenter.

Jason,

The Dake-Taylor matchup (although an exhibition) is the most anticipated Folkstyle match up that anyone can remember. IF it happens this year at the NCAA finals, it is the biggest match in NCAA history hands down. It just doesn't seem right that we may or may not get quality coverage of this. Not only should we get coverage, it should be a quality coverage with quality announcing (either you or the Flo crew) and not some scrub that doesn't understand the sport like students that put on Big Ten duals or the old timers that bring ZERO excitement to the microphone.

------

... "the biggest match in NCAA history hands down".....

wow, I didn't realize it was that big

It will be big at the time, but if Taylor loses then loses next year to say, Howe, we'll look back a few years from now and it won't be near the top with Dake having 4 titles and Taylor 1 or 2.

My plead to anyone with the power to help me...

Please make this streaming video high quality and high-availability real-time and announce it soon! I am trying to build a youth wrestling program and this would be a great season kick-off viewing party for wrestlers, parents and coaches. I don't care if I have to pay for it (if that is the only way for high quality, fine). NWCA, get this thing on the web and announce it soon (I can't drop a party on people in the last minute).

Thank you for any help!

..Jason is a cheap shot artist. He's really helping and promoting wrestling by calling people lemmings.

I didn't take the first cheap shot. Typical ... someone acts like a child, then they place the blame on the person who calls them out for a cheap shot.

..I asked why ESPN isn't covering the event and then you took a personal shot at me.

..Your the master of the ad hominem style of attack. You've perfected it.

Jason,

With all due respect for your contributions to the sport, your position on this issue is overly defensive IMO --- bordering on denial.

We understand that is all but certain now that the event will be streamed. We also understand that you cannot mandate that ESPN (or whoever) televise the event live. We get that.

But you cannot deny the track record of streaming issues for wrestling events. To do so is absurd. The issues are well documented in this forum. The Olympics ended up working out fine, but team trials and even the event at Times Square were abysmal failures. The track record for successful streaming is not positive.

I see the point on how making the streaming PPV has its problems and is probably not a good idea if done in the traditional sense. But how about the following:

1. Provide free (to the viewer) standard streaming of the event.

2. Offer a premium streaming service for a fee. The premium service would have its own servers (or partitions of servers) dedicated, as well as network pipes.

I know this does not guarantee that no-one will have issues with their own ISP and/or PCs, but it would greatly reduce the chances of there being problems.

If that cannot be done, can at least some of us volunteer to test (in advance) the streaming before the night of the event? Can traffic simulation tools be employed as well?

I know this is not your problem to go solve, but you are in the best position to let our voice be heard by the appropriate people. For you to take the position of a) don't worry about it, streaming will get done.....and/or b) denying that we have cause for concern.....are not reasonable positions to take. I think the emotion in this thread is a manifestation of the frustration caused by previous streaming problems.

We want to help solve this problem, but need some direction on how to do so. You are the leader of this board. We could use some leadership on getting this problem solved.

Like they say in the AA meetings, the first step is to acknowledge a problem exists.