Sign in to follow this  
bigrig

2012 NWCA All-Star Classic -- Coverage

..the truth hurts, doesn't it? ESPN, the NWCA, and USA Wrestling should be televising this event. I guess they don't have the resources to do so.

..What exactly am I supposed to do?

..What have you done to get this event televised? Isn't it your job the promote the sport?

..I guess you can't defend the lack of coverage for the event, so you'll take your usual cheap shot at the poster (this time me).

....Stop making excuses and get the event televised. It's the least you could do.

This makes no sense. How many events are broadcast by three different entities? And I don't understand why anyone would complain to Jason Bryant, a USAW employee, about the coverage of an event put on by the NWCA. That's a complete mystery.

A free live internet feed and tapped replay on Fox College Sports Network should be fine for this event. Probably more people have access to the internet than FCSN anyways. I think some people might be worried about the wording "Webcasting - TBA" on the NWCA website. That could mean a lot of things. It could mean there may or may not be webcast. If coverage section read

"Event Coverage:

[*:5z3ri3h7]Live - Webcast
    [*:5z3ri3h7]Taped Delay - Fox College Sports, schedule TBA"

Then I think the coverage intentions would be unambiguous. No one expects a link to a webcast three weeks before the event, but TBA sounds like perhaps whether or not there will be webcast has not been determined.

I think some people might be worried about the wording "Webcasting - TBA" on the NWCA website. That could mean a lot of things. It could mean there may or may not be webcast.

I don't think anyone is worried about there being no webcast (at least not any more). The worry is if the webcast will work..and if it does work, will the picture quality be any good? The streaming of the Olympics was great, but that was the exception.

My fear is that when/if problems develop, we will hear that it is a problem with your PC or your ISP even though we can stream from other sources perfectly fine.

Jason,

The Dake-Taylor matchup (although an exhibition) is the most anticipated Folkstyle match up that anyone can remember. IF it happens this year at the NCAA finals, it is the biggest match in NCAA history hands down. It just doesn't seem right that we may or may not get quality coverage of this. Not only should we get coverage, it should be a quality coverage with quality announcing (either you or the Flo crew) and not some scrub that doesn't understand the sport like students that put on Big Ten duals or the old timers that bring ZERO excitement to the microphone.

------

... "the biggest match in NCAA history hands down".....

wow, I didn't realize it was that big

Please tell me a bigger match at the NCAA Championships than what this would be, especially if the All-Star Classic (and possibly Souther Scuffle) are close.

Kyle Dake

-3 x Defending NCAA Champ

-Only Wrestler to win 3 titles in 3 different weights

-Would be the first ever 4 time champ in 4 different weights

-Would be the ONLY 4 x Champ who didn't take a redshirt

VERSUS

David Taylor

-Defending NCAA Champ

-Defending Hodge Trophy Winner

-70-1 Record (w/ the one loss coming in the NCAA Finals as a Freshman - in what most would call an upset)

I'm open to a debate, but please tell me what match would be bigger than this. Dake wins and he make a claim for one of the top 2-3 college wrestlers of all time. To do that he has to defeat the defending champ of the weight that was voted as the best/most dominate wrestler in the NCAAs. You have an unbelievable scoring machine against unhuman defense. I've seen many great/memorable matches both live and on video, but this one if not the greatest is certainly right there with anything anyone could come up with!

Impressive calot. I was just able to watch a live steam of a hs soccer game on my phone! Thanks for the link.

Thanks and heres another one that schools use highschoolcube.com crazy how high schools all over the country broadcast there sports on a high school budget and the NWCA cant figure it out not hard to figure out why college wrestling is a dying sport.Not saying it wont be broadcast but to not have it already set up and ready to go is a shame. The nwca wants the sport to grow from the duals but doesnt have a plan set yet to broadcast there own all star dual this backwards thinking is a big reason why wrestling isnt more popular.

crazy how high schools all over the country broadcast there sports on a high school budget and the NWCA cant figure it out not hard to figure out why college wrestling is a dying sport.

I'm not a techy, but I suspect that the problem is not figuring out how to get online streaming, the problem is figuring out how to get online coverage that has sufficient capacity to meet the demand. I've never had a problem logging into, say, a Rutgers dual, or even a Cornell dual on Redcast, as examples. The problems always seem to come up when there is an event that will have broad nationwide interest. And I dare say, the Taylor vs Dake matchup will generate significantly more demand than a typical high school soccer game! :roll:

The nwca wants the sport to grow from the duals but doesnt have a plan set yet to broadcast there own all star dual this backwards thinking is a big reason why wrestling isnt more popular..

Maybe the NWCA is actually working on a way to get this right. Before folks start throwing around wild accusations, maybe we should give them a chance?

Nah! Complaining is much too much fun! :P :twisted:

crazy how high schools all over the country broadcast there sports on a high school budget and the NWCA cant figure it out not hard to figure out why college wrestling is a dying sport.

I'm not a techy, but I suspect that the problem is not figuring out how to get online streaming, the problem is figuring out how to get online coverage that has sufficient capacity to meet the demand. I've never had a problem logging into, say, a Rutgers dual, or even a Cornell dual on Redcast, as examples. The problems always seem to come up when there is an event that will have broad nationwide interest. And I dare say, the Taylor vs Dake matchup will generate significantly more demand than a typical high school soccer game! :roll:

The nwca wants the sport to grow from the duals but doesnt have a plan set yet to broadcast there own all star dual this backwards thinking is a big reason why wrestling isnt more popular..

Maybe the NWCA is actually working on a way to get this right. Before folks start throwing around wild accusations, maybe we should give them a chance?

Nah! Complaining is much too much fun! :P :twisted:

I imagine Dake vs Taylor will draw more then a high school soccer game but Ihigh broadcast over 500 live events with 50,000 viewers every friday night so I dont see a problem with the Ihigh server.I believe the NWCA is actually working to get this right but theyve had 49 weeks since last years event to do so and from JB posts its still a work in progress just cant believe the NWCA who wants to grow the sport is still scrammbling to get the event streamed.Hundreds of high schools already have there events scheduled to be streamed and theyre still 6-8 weeks from starting just seems the NWCA needs to hire a young individual whos tech savvy with marketing skills to help our great sport grow.

If the NWCA is going to use the systems by Wrestling Video Solutions, then iHigh can't be implemented. iHigh uses Microsoft Silverlight, a painful, poorly updated competitor to Flash.

WVS would have the on-screen graphics, live clocks, etc. From what I know, that is being discussed, but since I don't work for the NWCA (and haven't in about four years), I can't make assumptions.

WVS works seamlessly with youtube and ustream, two of the bigger streaming outfits. USAW has used both in the past.

Thing is, none of us know what is in the works from the office in Manheim. They are a small staff and always have been. They have more on their plates than a lot of us do in our normal jobs. Still plenty of time on this.

When I set up the streams at USAW, I never actually scheduled the event until we knew we could stream from the venue. If I knew it was going to be iffy based on bandwidth, school blocks, etc., I'd wait until I knew if a stream would be viable before scheduling it. I wouldn't get uptight about nothing being "scheduled" right now. Still plenty of time to get things set up and get the word out. Everyone knows when the event will be. There will be enough message boards and national sites out there who will make it known to everyone once things get situated.

From my experiences, I just never schedule anything to be streamed until I know it can be streamed.

I have full faith they'll get this accomplished without a problem.

Ok So I read this back and forth and didn't understand the big deal. I figured it will work itself out. It would be nice to have the event advertized in advance if "growing the sport" is the goal, but I figure it will all work out regardless for the fans who follow year round. As long as I can watch the match, I would be happy as could be... However, now you are saying the reason for the delayed announcement is because they want to be sure they can stream it first. So there is a chance this won't be streamed?

Just to clarify, you mean streamed live correct? In other words, this may not get live coverage, but we can count on taped delay to see the event? Live is great, but I don't mind taped delay. As long as there is some way to see the action.

Ok So I read this back and forth and didn't understand the big deal. I figured it will work itself out. It would be nice to have the event advertized in advance if "growing the sport" is the goal, but I figure it will all work out regardless for the fans who follow year round. As long as I can watch the match, I would be happy as could be... However, now you are saying the reason for the delayed announcement is because they want to be sure they can stream it first. So there is a chance this won't be streamed?

Just to clarify, you mean streamed live correct? In other words, this may not get live coverage, but we can count on taped delay to see the event? Live is great, but I don't mind taped delay. As long as there is some way to see the action.

I'm just explaining how I handled USAW streams and how I scheduled them. The last post is addressing the lack of it being posted on any streaming schedule and discussing the iHigh option (or lack thereof, IMO).

Because USAW typically doesn't hold many of their events in college venues, I always had to wait to confirm connection, etc. I don't believe this will be an issue at American.

I would rate the chances that this will not be streamed at about less than one percent.

The event will be streamed. There was a few things that were being worked out because of our TV contract that we have for the event before we could have a contract with a webcast partner.

Hope to have something announced tomorrow on the event.

On a fall Saturday, there is next to zero chance ESPN would involve themselves in live coverage of this event. They are majorly entrenched with college football coverage (and what isn't to college fooball between noon and midnight is either an isolated sportscenter or NASCAR). That's due to contracts, sponsorships, what moves the needle, etc.

The event will be streamed. There was a few things that were being worked out because of our TV contract that we have for the event before we could have a contract with a webcast partner.

The concern is not if it will be streamed. The concern is if the streaming will be high quality and reliable. Can any of us get involved in testing of the streaming before the event? Trying to avoid situations, all too comoon in hte past, where we have a house full of people over to watch the streaming only to see it freeze up, crash or be unviewable due to poor picture quality.

The concern is not if it will be streamed. The concern is if the streaming will be high quality and reliable. Can any of us get involved in testing of the streaming before the event? Trying to avoid situations, all too comoon in hte past, where we have a house full of people over to watch the streaming only to see it freeze up, crash or be unviewable due to poor picture quality.

Looks like all those questions are on Flo's plate now.

PT,

Can you confirm, will FLO be using their own equipment to stream this? Is Live Sports Video involved?

I'd rather FLO get a chance to succeed at this than Live Sports Video being involved. That is the worst setup possible.

I'd welcome the guys at FLO get a chance to make this work and I hope that is what is being done. I think that's what it sounds like but just wanted confirmation.

Thanks PT. PT may stand for part-time for some, but we now you are dedicated full-time to the sport of wrestling!

PT and or JB,

Can either of you provide contact info for the right people to get involved in the testing process? PT, maybe you are that person.

I am not familiar with the players and organizations involved. Just trying to help ensure we get to see this event.

Thanks.