Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Dake's Bronze Medal Match (spoiler alert) & scoring question

I don't understand the scoring or the criteria.

Was Aliyev awarded a takedown in the second period rather than a pushout because Dake was fleeing?

On the criteria, at least one of Aliyev's points was on a stall call, where all of Dake's points were "earned." I would have thought that the criteria would favor Dake. Or is the penalized wrestler penalized again by teh criteria?

Also, it looked again like Dake was wrestling without much use of his right hand. What guts!

It was called a clean takedown...Fleeing has nothing to do with it. A flee call would have been caution +1.

The officials just threw a bone to the host country's wrestler.

The criteria is last points scored (as long as the person who scored last has a move that equals the highest scoring move of his opponent; for example, a 3 point move would beat a 2+1; whereas if both have 3 point moves, the last person to score wins).

It was called a clean takedown...Fleeing has nothing to do with it. A flee call would have been caution +1.

The officials just threw a bone to the host country's wrestler.

The criteria is last points scored (as long as the person who scored last has a move that equals the highest scoring move of his opponent; for example, a 3 point move would beat a 2+1; whereas if both have 3 point moves, the last person to score wins).

Thanks, now I get the criteria, but it's awfully convoluted. Maybe just last score wins (though why not first score?).

Better, of course, would be sudden death OT (for, say, up to 2 minutes, then you can have criteria). Isn't it obvious that sudden death is the most excited way to win a match and that criteria is the least exciting and worst?

Agreed on sudden victory...I think they just use last point scored as a means of speeding things up. After all, entire weight classes are now wrestled in one day, so they need to have things moving along at a steady pace.

Yes, using criteria instead of OT is stupid.

The call itself wasn't that bad. They probably called the TD when Dake was in the tripod position before going out. If the knee touches, it's a legitimate TD. Hard to tell if it actually does or not, the call was pretty quick, but it wasn't horrible or anything. A stranger one happened in the finals, where Kurbanov as given a last second "butt point" TD from a crackdown position. Anyone with officiating experience care to weigh in on that call?

Btw it was a legit TD for Aliyev. The criteria for a TD is 3 supporting points down, in this case 2 hands and a knee. It was for a split second but that's how they are calling it now. The coaches didn't throw the brick bc they knew they'd lose and it would've been another point for Aliyev.

I just watched it frame by frame and I take back what I said. It's very hard to see it in regular motion, but slowed down frame by frame, Dake does in fact touch his knee while both his hands are on the mat at the same time. It was only for a very brief moment, but the TD was scored correctly.

Easier said than done in the heat of battle, but with 40 seconds left and up by 2, Dake should've conceded the pushout.

Btw it was a legit TD for Aliyev. The criteria for a TD is 3 supporting points down, in this case 2 hands and a knee. It was for a split second but that's how they are calling it now. The coaches didn't throw the brick bc they knew they'd lose and it would've been another point for Aliyev.

mentioned earlier. it was worth giving up a point. either 3-3 or 4-3, dake still needed to score to win. any score gives him the lead. you have to challenge that call.